Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India.
2 Reader, Department of Orthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India.
3 Senior Lecturer, Department of oral and maxillofacial surgery, Saveetha dental college and hospitals, Saveetha institute of medical and technical sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai -600077
The prevalence of malocclusion varies greatly among different race, ethnicity and geographic locations. Knowledge about the prevalence of malocclusion among the population helps in the early diagnosis and to provide a customized treatment plan for that population. The main aim of this study is to assess the prevalence of class III malocclusion in permanent dentition. The data were collected by analyzing the records of 86000 patients between June 2019-March 2020. The study includes 37756 patients above the age of 12 years in their permanent dentition who reported to the University in Chennai. The results were analysed and graphs were tabulated using SPSS software. Out of the total patients assessed, 365 patients (0.96%) had class III malocclusion among which 242 were males and 123 were females. It was further found that among the 365 patients, prevalence of class III malocclusion was 75.34% and class III subdivision was 24.66%. Chi square test done between type of malocclusion and gender was found to be insignificant with P value of 0.933. Within the limitations of the study, it was found that prevalence of class III malocclusion was less in our population with no significant difference in distribution among males and females.
- Abdul Wahab, P. U., P. Senthil Nathan, M. Madhulaxmi, M. R. Muthusekhar, Soh Chen Loong, and Rajendra Prabhu Abhinav. 2017. “Risk Factors for Post-Operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy.” Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery 16 (3): 328–32.
- Alhammadi, Maged Sultan, Esam Halboub, Mona Salah Fayed, Amr Labib, and Chrestina El-Saaidi. 2018. “Global Distribution of Malocclusion Traits: A Systematic Review.” Dental Press Journal of Orthodontics. https://doi.org/10.1590/2177-6709.23.6.40.e1-10.onl.
- Almeida, Marcio Rodrigues de, Marcio Rodrigues de Almeida, José Fernando Castanha Henriques, Renato Rodrigues de Almeida, Weber Ursi, Renata Rodrigues de Almeida-Pedrin, and James A. McNamara Jr. 2006. “Efeitos Dentoesqueléticos Produzidos Pelo Aparelho de Herbst Na Dentadura Mista.” Revista Dental Press de Ortodontia E Ortopedia Facial. https://doi.org/10.1590/s1415-54192006000500004.
- Angle, H. E. 1899. “Classification of Malocclusion.” Dent. Cosmos. 41: 350–75.
- Ashok, Ben Sundra, Thekkuttuparambil Ananthanarayanan Ajith, and Senthilkumar Sivanesan. 2017. “Hypoxia-Inducible Factors as Neuroprotective Agent in Alzheimer’s Disease.” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology & Physiology 44 (3): 327–34.
- Baral, Prakash. 2015. “Prevalence of Malocclusion in Western Nepal.” Orthodontic Journal of Nepal. https://doi.org/10.3126/ojn.v5i2.15215.
- Bukhary, Mohammed Taher. 2005. “Comparative Cephalometric Study of Class III Malocclusion in Saudi and Japanese Adult Females.” Journal of Oral Science. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.47.83.
- Clerck, Hugo J. De, Hugo J. De Clerck, and William R. Proffit. 2015. “Growth Modification of the Face: A Current Perspective with Emphasis on Class III Treatment.” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2015.04.017.
- Danda, Anil Kumar. 2010. “Comparison of a Single Noncompression Miniplate versus 2 Noncompression Miniplates in the Treatment of Mandibular Angle Fractures: A Prospective, Randomized Clinical Trial.” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Official Journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 68 (7): 1565–67.
- Davies, S. J. 2007. “Malocclusion – a Term in Need of Dropping or Redefinition?” British Dental Journal. https://doi.org/10.1038/bdj.2007.372.
- Devi, V. Subathra, and B. K. Gnanavel. 2014. “Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag.” Procedia Engineering 97 (January): 95–104.
- Dinesh, S. P. Saravana, A. V. Arun, K. K. Shantha Sundari, Christine Samantha, and K. Ambika. 2013. “An Indigenously Designed Apparatus for Measuring Orthodontic Force.” Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR 7 (11): 2623–26.
- Eapen, Brigit V., M. F. Baig, and S. Avinash. 2017. “An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions.” Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery 16 (1): 48–52.
- Felicita, A. Sumathi. 2017a. “Quantification of Intrusive/retraction Force and Moment Generated during En-Masse Retraction of Maxillary Anterior Teeth Using Mini-Implants: A Conceptual Approach.” Dental Press Journal of Orthodontics 22 (5): 47–55.
- ———. 2017b. “Orthodontic Management of a Dilacerated Central Incisor and Partially Impacted Canine with Unilateral Extraction - A Case Report.” The Saudi Dental Journal 29 (4): 185–93.
- ———. 2018. “Orthodontic Extrusion of Ellis Class VIII Fracture of Maxillary Lateral Incisor - The Sling Shot Method.” The Saudi Dental Journal 30 (3): 265–69.
- Felicita, Asumathi, Shyamala Chandrasekar, and K. K. Shanthasundari. 2013. “Determination of Craniofacial Relation among the Subethnic Indian Population: A Modified Approach (vertical Evaluation).” Indian Journal of Dental Research. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.118396.
- Gelgör, İbrahim Erhan, İhya Ali Karaman, and Ertuğrul Ercan. 2007. “Prevalence of Malocclusion Among Adolescents In Central Anatolia.” European Journal of Dentistry. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0039-1698327.
- Gopalakannan, S., T. Senthilvelan, and S. Ranganathan. 2012. “Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM.” Procedia Engineering 38 (January): 685–90.
- Govindaraju, Lokhasudhan, Prasanna Neelakantan, and James L. Gutmann. 2017. “Effect of Root Canal Irrigating Solutions on the Compressive Strength of Tricalcium Silicate Cements.” Clinical Oral Investigations 21 (2): 567–71.
- Graber, Lee W., Robert L. Vanarsdall, Katherine W. L. Vig, and Greg J. Huang. 2016. Orthodontics - E-Book: Current Principles and Techniques. Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Heimer, M. V., C. R. Tornisiello Katz, and A. Rosenblatt. 2008. “Non-Nutritive Sucking Habits, Dental Malocclusions, and Facial Morphology in Brazilian Children: A Longitudinal Study.” The European Journal of Orthodontics. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/cjn035.
- Ishii, Hideshi, Shuichi Morita, Yutaka Takeuchi, and Shinji Nakamura. 1987. “Treatment Effect of Combined Maxillary Protraction and Chincap Appliance in Severe Skeletal Class III Cases.” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. https://doi.org/10.1016/0889-5406(87)90331-3.
- Jain, Ravindra Kumar, Sridhar Prem Kumar, and W. S. Manjula. 2014. “Comparison of Intrusion Effects on Maxillary Incisors among Mini Implant Anchorage, J-Hook Headgear and Utility Arch.” Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR 8 (7): ZC21–24.
- Jeevanandan, G., and L. Govindaraju. 2018. “Clinical Comparison of Kedo-S Paediatric Rotary Files vs Manual Instrumentation for Root Canal Preparation in Primary Molars: A Double Blinded Randomised Clinical Trial.” European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Kamisetty, Supradeep Kumar, Jaya Krishanan Verma, Arun, Shanta Sundari, Shyamala Chandrasekhar, and Aravind Kumar. 2015. “SBS vs Inhouse Recycling Methods-An Invitro Evaluation.” Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR 9 (9): ZC04–08.
- Kavitha, M., R. Subramanian, R. Narayanan, and V. Udhayabanu. 2014. “Solution Combustion Synthesis and Characterization of Strontium Substituted Hydroxyapatite Nanocrystals.” Powder Technology 253 (February): 129–37.
- Krishnan, Sindhuja, Saravana Pandian, and Aravind Kumar S. 2015. “Effect of Bisphosphonates on Orthodontic Tooth Movement-an Update.” Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR 9 (4): ZE01–05.
- Lekha, L., K. Kanmani Raja, G. Rajagopal, and D. Easwaramoorthy. 2014a. “Synthesis, Spectroscopic Characterization and Antibacterial Studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff Base Complexes Containing N, O Donor Atoms.” Journal of Molecular Structure. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- ———. 2014b. “Schiff Base Complexes of Rare Earth Metal Ions: Synthesis, Characterization and Catalytic Activity for the Oxidation of Aniline and Substituted Anilines.” Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 753 (March): 72–80.
- Menon, Soumya, Shrudhi Devi Ks, Santhiya R, Rajeshkumar S, and Venkat Kumar S. 2018. “Selenium Nanoparticles: A Potent Chemotherapeutic Agent and an Elucidation of Its Mechanism.” Colloids and Surfaces. B, Biointerfaces 170 (October): 280–92.
- Mtaya, M., P. Brudvik, and A. N. Astrom. 2009. “Prevalence of Malocclusion and Its Relationship with Socio-Demographic Factors, Dental Caries, and Oral Hygiene in 12- to 14-Year-Old Tanzanian Schoolchildren.” The European Journal of Orthodontics. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/cjn125.
- Neelakantan, P., C. Q. Cheng, R. Mohanraj, P. Sriraman, C. Subbarao, and S. Sharma. 2015. “Antibiofilm Activity of Three Irrigation Protocols Activated by Ultrasonic, Diode Laser or Er:YAG Laser in Vitro.” International Endodontic Journal 48 (6): 602–10.
- Neelakantan, Prasanna, Deeksha Grotra, and Subash Sharma. 2013. “Retreatability of 2 Mineral Trioxide Aggregate-Based Root Canal Sealers: A Cone-Beam Computed Tomography Analysis.” Journal of Endodontia 39 (7): 893–96.
- Neelakantan, Prasanna, Subash Sharma, Hagay Shemesh, and Paul R. Wesselink. 2015. “Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis.” Journal of Endodontia 41 (7): 1108–11.
- Ngan, Peter, and Won Moon. 2015. “Evolution of Class III Treatment in Orthodontics.” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2015.04.012.
- Nomura, Mayumi, Etsuko Motegi, John P. Hatch, Peter T. Gakunga, Peter M. Ng’ang'a, John D. Rugh, and Hideharu Yamaguchi. 2009. “Esthetic Preferences of European American, Hispanic American, Japanese, and African Judges for Soft-Tissue Profiles.” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2008.02.019.
- Onyeaso, Chukwudi Ochi. 2004. “Prevalence of Malocclusion among Adolescents in Ibadan, Nigeria.” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2003.07.012.
- Pandian, K. Saravana, Sindhuja Krishnan, and S. Aravind Kumar. 2018. “Angular Photogrammetric Analysis of the Soft-Tissue Facial Profile of Indian Adults.” Indian Journal of Dental Research: Official Publication of Indian Society for Dental Research 29 (2): 137–43.
- Parthasarathy, M., J. Isaac JoshuaRamesh Lalvani, B. Dhinesh, and K. Annamalai. 2016. “Effect of Hydrogen on Ethanol-Biodiesel Blend on Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine.” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 134 (Pt 2): 433–39.
- Patil, Sandeep B., D. Durairaj, G. Suresh Kumar, D. Karthikeyan, and D. Pradeep. 2017. “Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study.” Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery 16 (3): 312–21.
- PradeepKumar, Angambakkam Rajasekaran, Hagay Shemesh, Sundaramurthy Jothilatha, Rangarajan Vijayabharathi, Somasundaram Jayalakshmi, and Anil Kishen. 2016. “Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-Dependent Retrospective Cohort Study.” Journal of Endodontia 42 (8): 1175–80.
- Praveen, K., V. Narayanan, M. R. Muthusekhar, and M. F. Baig. 2001. “Hypotensive Anaesthesia and Blood Loss in Orthognathic Surgery: A Clinical Study.” The British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 39 (2): 138–40.
- Putchala, Manisha Chandini, Pratibha Ramani, Herald J. Sherlin, Priya Premkumar, and Anuja Natesan. 2013. “Ascorbic Acid and Its pro-Oxidant Activity as a Therapy for Tumours of Oral Cavity – A Systematic Review.” Archives of Oral Biology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, Ratheesh, Radhakrishnan Nair Kunjusankaran, Raghu Sandhya, Aadit Anilkumar, Rakhi Santhosh, and Santosh Rayagouda Patil. 2019. “Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study.” Pesquisa Brasileira Em Odontopediatria E Clínica Integrada. https://doi.org/10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ramesh Kumar, K. R., K. K. Shanta Sundari, A. Venkatesan, and Shymalaa Chandrasekar. 2011. “Depth of Resin Penetration into Enamel with 3 Types of Enamel Conditioning Methods: A Confocal Microscopic Study.” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics: Official Publication of the American Association of Orthodontists, Its Constituent Societies, and the American Board of Orthodontics 140 (4): 479–85.
- Rubika, J., A. Sumathi Felicita, and V. Sivambiga. 2015. “Gonial Angle as an Indicator for the Prediction of Growth Pattern.” World Journal of Dentistry. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1334.
- Sajan, D., K. Udaya Lakshmi, Y. Erdogdu, and I. Hubert Joe. 2011. “Molecular Structure and Vibrational Spectra of 2,6-Bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: A Density Functional Theoretical Study.” Spectrochimica Acta. Part A, Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 78 (1): 113–21.
- Samantha, Christine, Shantha Sundari, Shyamala Chandrasekhar, Gautham Sivamurty, and Saravana Dinesh. 2017. “Comparative Evaluation of Two Bis-GMA Based Orthodontic Bonding Adhesives - A Randomized Clinical Trial.” Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR 11 (4): ZC40–44.
- Sandhu, Navreet, Sarabjeet Singh Sandhu, and Nidhi Bansal. 2012. “Incidence of Malocclusions in India - A Review.” Journal of Oral Health and Community Dentistry. https://doi.org/10.5005/johcd-6-1-21.
- Sharma, Sunil, Vinay K. Chugh, and Mridula Trehan. 2009. “Prevalence of Malocclusion in Jaipur, India.” International Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1036.
- Sivamurthy, Gautham, and Shantha Sundari. 2016. “Stress Distribution Patterns at Mini-Implant Site during Retraction and Intrusion--a Three-Dimensional Finite Element Study.” Progress in Orthodontics 17 (January): 4.
- Soh, Jen, Andrew Sandham, and Yiong Huak Chan. 2005. “Malocclusion Severity in Asian Men in Relation to Malocclusion Type and Orthodontic Treatment Need.” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2005.05.045.
- Sundareswaran, Shobha, and Praveen Kizhakool. 2019. “Prevalence and Gender Distribution of Malocclusion among 13–15-Year-Old Adolescents of Kerala, South India.” Indian Journal of Dental Research. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_801_16.
- Uthrakumar, R., C. Vesta, C. Justin Raj, S. Krishnan, and S. Jerome Das. 2010. “Bulk Crystal Growth and Characterization of Non-Linear Optical Bisthiourea Zinc Chloride Single Crystal by Unidirectional Growth Method.” Current Applied Physics: The Official Journal of the Korean Physical Society 10 (2): 548–52.
- Vijayakumar, G. Nixon Samuel, S. Devashankar, M. Rathnakumari, and P. Sureshkumar. 2010. “Synthesis of Electrospun ZnO/CuO Nanocomposite Fibers and Their Dielectric and Non-Linear Optic Studies.” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 507 (1): 225–29.
- Vikram, N. Raj, Ramachandra Prabhakar, S. Aravind Kumar, M. K. Karthikeyan, and R. Saravanan. 2017. “Ball Headed Mini Implant.” Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR 11 (1): ZL02–03.
- Vishnu Prasad, S., Madan Kumar, Mahesh Ramakrishnan, and Dhanalakshmi Ravikumar. 2018. “Report on Oral Health Status and Treatment Needs of 5-15 Years Old Children with Sensory Deficits in Chennai, India.” Special Care in Dentistry: Official Publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry 38 (1): 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. Abdul, Marimuthu Madhulaxmi, Periyasamy Senthilnathan, Marimuthu Ramaswamy Muthusekhar, Yogaen Vohra, and Rajendra Prabhu Abhinav. 2018. “Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study.” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Official Journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 76 (6): 1160–64.
- Zere, Edlira, Prabhat Kumar Chaudhari, Jitendra Saran, Kunaal Dhingra, and Nitesh Tiwari. 2018. “Developing Class III Malocclusions: Challenges and Solutions.” Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dentistry. https://doi.org/10.2147/ccide.s134303.