Occurrence of Additional Canals in Mandibular Lower Anteriors In Between Male and Female Patients
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 617-622
AbstractThe endodontic treatment with excellent outcomes depends on the critical identification of the root and its canals anatomy. The successful identification of these anatomies guaranteed the pulp tissue extirpation completely, with efficiency in chemo-mechanical cleaning and shaping. All these lead to the most proper three-dimensionally root canal obturation with the most reliable inert filling. The purpose of this study is to provide clinical data on the presence of additional canals in mandibular anterior teeth among males and females.Patients reported from June 2019 to March 2020 were reviewed. 82000 patient records were reviewed and data related to patients undergone Root canal therapy in mandibular lower anteriors. Data includes age, gender and number of additional canals in lower anteriors. The collected data was tabulated in the excel sheet. Statistical analysis was done using SPSS software (version 9.0.3). The prevalence of patients with additional canals in mandibular anteriors was 8.1% . For females, the prevalence of additional canals was 3.24% whereas in males it is 4.86%. However, there is no relation between the gender and presence of additional canals in mandibular anteriors.
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Al-Fouzan, K. S. et al. (2012) ‘Incidence of two canals in extracted mandibular incisors teeth of Saudi Arabian samples’, Saudi Endodontic Journal, 2(2), p. 65.
- Al-Qudah, A. A. and Awawdeh, L. A. (2006) ‘Root canal morphology of mandibular incisors in a Jordanian population’, International endodontic journal, 39(11), pp. 873–877.
- Aminsobhani, M. et al. (2013) ‘Evaluation of the root and canal morphology of mandibular permanent anterior teeth in an Iranian population by cone-beam computed tomography’, Journal of dentistry , 10(4), pp. 358–366.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Boruah, L. C. and Bhuyan, A. C. (2011) ‘Morphologic characteristics of root canal of mandibular incisors in North-East Indian population: An in vitro study’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 14(4), pp. 346–350.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Ezoddini, F., Mohammadi, Z. and Tabrizizadeh, M. (2008) ‘Root Canal Morphology of Human Mandibular Incisors in Yazd Province’, Dental research journal, 3(1). Available at: http://drj.mui.ac.ir/index.php/drj/article/view/32 (Accessed: 11 June 2020).
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Hussainy, S. N. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 510–515.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality - An in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jose, J., P., A. and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different Treatment Modalities followed by Dental Practitioners for Ellis Class 2 Fracture – A Questionnaire-based Survey’, The Open Dentistry Journal, pp. 59–65. doi: 10.2174/1874210602014010059.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Liu, J. et al. (2014) ‘CBCT study of root and canal morphology of permanent mandibular incisors in a Chinese population’, Acta odontologica Scandinavica, 72(1), pp. 26–30.
- Manohar, M. P. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(6), pp. 716–720.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Nasim, I. and Nandakumar, M. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 516. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_110_18.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Okumura, T. (1927) ‘Anatomy of the Root Canals *’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 14(4), pp. 632–636.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rahimi, S. et al. (2008) ‘Root canal configuration and the prevalence of C-shaped canals in mandibular second molars in an Iranian population’, Journal of oral science, 50(1), pp. 9–13.
- Rahimi, S. andGhasemi, N. (2013) ‘MaxillaryFirstMolarwithTwoRootCanals = الرحىالأولیللفکالعلویثنائیةقنواتالجذور’, SultanQaboosUniversityMedicalJournal, pp. 346–349. doi: 10.12816/0003251.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- R, R., Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth – A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, pp. 249–256. doi: 10.7126/cumudj.525182.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Siddique, R. and Jayalakshmi, S. (2019) ‘Assessment of Precipitate Formation on Interaction of Chlorhexidine with Sodium Hypochlorite, Neem, Aloevera and Garlic: An in vitro Study’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 3648. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.04155.x.
- Siqueira, J. F., Jr and Rôças, I. N. (2008) ‘Clinical implications and microbiology of bacterial persistence after treatment procedures’, Journal of endodontia, 34(11), pp. 1291–1301.e3.
- Teja, K. V. and Ramesh, S. (2019) ‘Shape optimal and clean more’, Saudi Endodontic Journal, 9(3), p. 235.
- Teja, K. V., Ramesh, S. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(6), pp. 592–596.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vertucci, F. J. (2005) ‘Root canal morphology and its relationship to endodontic procedures’, Endodontic topics. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1601-1546.2005.00129.x.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Website (no date). Available at: Noor SSSE, S Syed Shihaab, Pradeep. Chlorhexidine: Its properties and effects [Internet]. Vol. 9, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016. p. 1755. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00353.x (Accessed: 22 June 2020).
- Yew, S. C. and Chan, K. (1993) ‘A retrospective study of endodontically treated mandibular first molars in a Chinese population’, Journal of endodontia, 19(9), pp. 471–473.
- Article View: 213
- PDF Download: 128