Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai-77
2 Senior lecturer, Department of Orthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University , Chennai-77
3 Senior lecturer, Department of Oral and maxillofacial surgery, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai-77
Malocclusion is an irregularity or malalignment of teeth. Malocclusion can be either skeletal or dental. Several reasons exist that can result in the malocclusion, of which the most common is the tooth size arch length discrepancy. When the arch development is within the expected size or the size of the tooth is abnormally large, it can result in the crowding. Several other reasons have also been attributed with lower arch crowding. This study was done to assess the prevalence and gender distribution in patients with lower arch crowding. This study was carried out in an institutional setting. Data were collected regarding the lower arch crowding in the population and tabulated in the excel and transferred to statistical software SPSS. Descriptive statistics and chi square tests were done. Out of the total population (41545) , 5602 of them had lower arch crowding either alone or in combination with other malocclusion. Among those with lower arch crowding, 3067 of the males had only crowding and 293 had crowding in association with other malocclusion, whereas 1951 of the females had only lower arch crowding and 291 of them had crowding in association with other malocclusions. From the present study, we can conclude that the prevalence of crowding is relatively high(13.48%) compared to any other malocclusion. Higher male predilection in the study sample and more number of cases with crowding as the only malocclusion was also noted. Gender and age association showed a significant association with more numbers of males especially in the age group of 19-35 years in the study population had crowding.
- Abdul Wahab PU, Senthil Nathan P, Madhulaxmi M, et al. (2017) Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy. Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery 16(3): 328–332.
- Angle EH (1907) Treatment of Malocclusion of the Teeth: Angle’s System. Greatly Enl. and Entirely Rewritten, with Six Hundred and Forty-One Illustrations. SS White dental manufacturing Company.
- Ashok BS, Ajith TA and Sivanesan S (2017) Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease. Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology 44(3): 327–334.
- Danda AK (2010) Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 68(7): 1565–1567.
- Devi VS and Gnanavel BK (2014) Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag. Procedia Engineering 97: 95–104.
- Dinesh SPS, Arun AV, Sundari KKS, et al. (2013) An indigenously designed apparatus for measuring orthodontic force. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 7(11): 2623–2626.
- Eapen BV, Baig MF and Avinash S (2017) An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions. Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery 16(1): 48–52.
- Felicita A, Shanthasundari KK and Chandrasekar S (2012) Determination of craniofacial relation among the subethnic Indian population: A modified approach - (Sagittal relation). Indian Journal of Dental Research. DOI: 10.4103/0970-9290.102210.
- Felicita AS (2017) Quantification of intrusive/retraction force and moment generated during en-masse retraction of maxillary anterior teeth using mini-implants: A conceptual approach. Dental press journal of orthodontics 22(5): 47–55.
- Felicita AS (2018) Orthodontic extrusion of Ellis Class VIII fracture of maxillary lateral incisor--The sling shot method. The Saudi dental journal 30(3). Elsevier: 265–269.
- Felicita AS and Sumathi Felicita A (2017) Orthodontic management of a dilacerated central incisor and partially impacted canine with unilateral extraction – A case report. The Saudi Dental Journal. DOI: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2017.04.001.
- Felicita AS and Sumathi Felicita A (2018) Orthodontic extrusion of Ellis Class VIII fracture of maxillary lateral incisor – The sling shot method. The Saudi Dental Journal. DOI: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2018.05.001.
- Gopalakannan S, Senthilvelan T and Ranganathan S (2012) Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM. Procedia Engineering 38: 685–690.
- Govindaraju L, Neelakantan P and Gutmann JL (2017) Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements. Clinical oral investigations 21(2): 567–571.
- Hellman M (1933) Growth of the face and occlusion of the teeth in relation to orthodontic treatment. International Journal of Orthodontia and Dentistry for Children 19(11): 1116–1147.
- Huber RE and Reynolds JW (1946) A dentofacial study of male students at the University of Michigan in the physical hardening program. American journal of orthodontics and oral surgery 32: 1–21.
- Isiekwe MC (1983) Malocclusion in Lagos, Nigeria. Community dentistry and oral epidemiology 11(1): 59–62.
- Jain RK, Kumar SP and Manjula WS (2014) Comparison of intrusion effects on maxillary incisors among mini implant anchorage, j-hook headgear and utility arch. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 8(7): ZC21–4.
- Jeevanandan G and Govindaraju L (2018) Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry. DOI: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Kamisetty SK, Verma JK, Arun, et al. (2015) SBS vs Inhouse Recycling Methods-An Invitro Evaluation. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 9(9): ZC04–8.
- Kavitha M, Subramanian R, Narayanan R, et al. (2014) Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals. Powder Technology 253: 129–137.
- Korkhaus G (1928) The frequency of orthodontic anomalies at various ages. International Journal of Orthodontia, Oral Surgery and Radiography 14(2): 120–135.
- Krishnan S (2015) Effect of Bisphosphonates on Orthodontic Tooth Movement—An Update. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. DOI: 10.7860/jcdr/2015/11162.5769.
- Lekha L, Kanmani Raja K, Rajagopal G, et al. (2014a) Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines. Journal of organometallic chemistry 753: 72–80.
- Lekha L, Kanmani Raja K, Rajagopal G, et al. (2014b) Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms. Journal of Molecular Structure. DOI: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Menon S, Ks SD, R S, et al. (2018) Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism. Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces 170: 280–292.
- Neelakantan P, Grotra D and Sharma S (2013) Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis. Journal of endodontia 39(7): 893–896.
- Neelakantan P., Cheng CQ, Mohanraj R, et al. (2015) Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro. International endodontic journal 48(6): 602–610.
- Neelakantan Prasanna, Sharma S, Shemesh H, et al. (2015) Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis. Journal of endodontia 41(7): 1108–1111.
- Parthasarathy M, Isaac JoshuaRamesh Lalvani J, Dhinesh B, et al. (2016) Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine. Ecotoxicology and environmental safety 134(Pt 2): 433–439.
- Patil SB, Durairaj D, Suresh Kumar G, et al. (2017) Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study. Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery 16(3): 312–321.
- Pilo R, Kaffe I, Amir E, et al. (1987) Diagnosis of developmental dental anomalies using panoramic radiographs. ASDC journal of dentistry for children. europepmc.org. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/3476529.
- PradeepKumar AR, Shemesh H, Jothilatha S, et al. (2016) Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study. Journal of endodontia 42(8): 1175–1180.
- Praveen K, Narayanan V, Muthusekhar MR, et al. (2001) Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study. The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery 39(2): 138–140.
- Putchala MC, Ramani P, Herald J. Sherlin, et al. (2013) Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review. Archives of Oral Biology. DOI: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran R, Kunjusankaran RN, Sandhya R, et al. (2019) Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study. Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada. DOI: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ramesh Kumar KR, Shanta Sundari KK, Venkatesan A, et al. (2011) Depth of resin penetration into enamel with 3 types of enamel conditioning methods: a confocal microscopic study. American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics: official publication of the American Association of Orthodontists, its constituent societies, and the American Board of Orthodontics 140(4): 479–485.
- Rubika J, Felicita AS and Sivambiga V (2015) Gonial angle as an indicator for the prediction of growth pattern. World J Dent 6(3): 161–163.
- Sajan D, Udaya Lakshmi K, Erdogdu Y, et al. (2011) Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study. Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy 78(1): 113–121.
- Samantha C (2017) Comparative Evaluation of Two Bis-GMA Based Orthodontic Bonding Adhesives - A Randomized Clinical Trial. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. DOI: 10.7860/jcdr/2017/16716.9665.
- Saravana Pandian K, Krishnan S and Aravind Kumar S (2018) Angular photogrammetric analysis of the soft-tissue facial profile of Indian adults. Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research 29(2). Medknow Publications and Media Pvt. Ltd.: 137.
- Sivamurthy G and Sundari S (2016) Stress distribution patterns at mini-implant site during retraction and intrusion—a three-dimensional finite element study. Progress in orthodontics 17(1): 4.
- Taylor AT (1934) A Study of the Incidence and Manifestations Malocclusion and Irregularity of the Teeth. University of Sydney.
- Uthrakumar R, Vesta C, Raj CJ, et al. (2010) Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method. Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society 10(2): 548–552.
- Vijayakumar GNS, Devashankar S, Rathnakumari M, et al. (2010) Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies. Journal of alloys and compounds 507(1): 225–229.
- Vikram NR, Prabhakar R, Kumar SA, et al. (2017) Ball Headed Mini Implant. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 11(1): ZL02–ZL03.
- Vishnu Prasad S, Kumar M, Ramakrishnan M, et al. (2018) Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India. Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry 38(1): 58–59.
- Viswanath A, Ramamurthy J, Dinesh SPS, et al. (2015) Obstructive sleep apnea: Awakening the hidden truth. Nigerian journal of clinical practice 18(1): 1–7.
- Wahab PUA, Madhulaxmi M, Senthilnathan P, et al. (2018) Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 76(6): 1160–1164.