Assessment of Tooth Mobility in Periodontitis Patients Below the Age Of 35 Years - An Institutional Based Retrospective Study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 587-594
AbstractTooth mobility is the degree of displacement of the tooth from the socket on the application of force. It is an important clinical feature in the diagnosis of periodontal diseases. The aim of the study was to assess the tooth mobility in periodontitis patients under the age of 35 visiting a private dental institution. This was a retrospective study. Samples were collected from June 2019 to March 2020. Data of the periodontal status of patients visiting a private dental institution in the age group of 18 to 35 years were collected. Excel tabulation was done and SPSS results were obtained. In this study, it was shown that 1993 patients were diagnosed with periodontal diseases. Among those patients, 1676 patients were diagnosed with localized chronic periodontitis, 302 patients were diagnosed with generalized chronic periodontitis, 10 patients were diagnosed with localized aggressive periodontitis and 5 patients were diagnosed with generalized aggressive periodontitis. Among patients with mobility, 82% had Grade 1 mobility, 13% had Grade 2 mobility and 5% had Grade 3 mobility. From the present study, we can conclude that Grade 1 mobility was seen more in all the age groups when compared to Grade 2 and Grade 3 mobility. It was also found that Grade 1 mobility was predominantly seen in the age group of 25-30 years. The association of tooth mobility in different age groups was found to be statistically significant (p value- 0.023). Grade 1 mobility was more common in male patients. Grade 1 mobility was more common in localized chronic periodontitis patients. The association of tooth mobility with respect to different types of periodontal diseases was found to be statistically significant (p value- 0.004). Localized chronic periodontitis was seen more commonly among all age groups but predominantly in the age group of 25-30 years. The association of different types of periodontal diseases in different age groups was found to be statistically significant (p value- 0.01). Localized chronic periodontitis was seen more commonly in male patients when compared to other types of periodontal diseases. The key to successful management of periodontal disease at younger age patients lies in early diagnosis of the disease and rigorous treatment employing the different treatment modalities followed by meticulous lifelong maintenance therapy.
- Agrawal, C. et al. (2017) ‘Detection and Assessment of Human Cytomegalo Virus, Epstein -Barr Virus -1 and Herpes Simplex Virus in Patients with Chronic Periodontitis of Varying Pocket Depths’, RUHS Journal of Health Science, p. 174. doi: 10.37821/ruhsjhs.2.4.2017.174-180.
- Ainamo, J. and Ainamo, A. (1996) ‘Risk assessment of recurrence of disease during supportive periodontal care. Epidemiological considerations’, Journal of clinical periodontology, 23(3), pp. 232–239.
- Albandar, J. M. and Rams, T. E. (2002) ‘Global epidemiology of periodontal diseases: an overview’, Periodontology 2000, pp. 7–10. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0757.2002.290101.x.
- Armitage, G. C. (1999) ‘Development of a Classification System for Periodontal Diseases and Conditions’, Annals of Periodontology, pp. 1–6. doi: 10.1902/annals.19220.127.116.11.
- Avinash, K., Malaippan, S. and Dooraiswamy, J. N. (2017) ‘Methods of Isolation and Characterization of Stem Cells from Different Regions of Oral Cavity Using Markers: A Systematic Review’, International journal of stem cells, 10(1), pp. 12–20.
- Azodo, C. and Ogbebor, O. (2017) ‘Tooth mobility in a nigerian specialist periodontology clinic’, Indian Journal of Oral Health and Research, p. 62. doi: 10.4103/ijohr.ijohr_42_17.
- Bouchard, P. et al. (2006) ‘Risk Assessment for Severe Clinical Attachment Loss in an Adult Population’, Journal of Periodontology, pp. 479–489. doi: 10.1902/jop.2006.050128.
- Choi, O. S. (2019) ‘Study on the Relationship between Age and Sex Distribution of Periodontal Diseases and Their Relation-ship with Oral Care Behavior’, International Journal of Clinical Preventive Dentistry, pp. 82–88. doi: 10.15236/ijcpd.2019.15.2.82.
- Gajendran, P., Parthasarathy, H. and Tadepalli, A. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of cathepsin K levels in gingival crevicular fluid among smoking and nonsmoking patients with chronic periodontitis’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 588. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_95_17.
- Heitz-Mayfield, L. J. A. (2005) ‘Disease progression: identification of high-risk groups and individuals for periodontitis’, Journal of clinical periodontology. Wiley Online Library, 32, pp. 196–209.
- Helmi, M. F. et al. (2019) ‘Prevalence of periodontitis and alveolar bone loss in a patient population at Harvard School of Dental Medicine’, BMC Oral Health. doi: 10.1186/s12903-019-0925-z.
- Hyman, J. J. and Reid, B. C. (2003) ‘Epidemiologic risk factors for periodontal attachment loss among adults in the United States’, Journal of Clinical Periodontology, pp. 230–237. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-051x.2003.00157.x.
- Kavarthapu, A. and Thamaraiselvan, M. (2018) ‘Assessing the variation in course and position of inferior alveolar nerve among south Indian population: A cone beam computed tomographic study’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 405. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_418_17.
- Khalid, W. et al. (2016) ‘Role of endothelin-1 in periodontal diseases: A structured review’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 27(3), pp. 323–333.
- Khalid, W. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Serum Levels of Endothelin-1 in Chronic Periodontitis Patients Before and After Treatment’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(4), pp. ZC78–ZC81.
- Kocher, T. et al. (2005) ‘Risk determinants of periodontal disease - an analysis of the Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP 0)’, Journal of Clinical Periodontology, pp. 59–67. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051x.2004.00629.x.
- Miller, S. C. (1938) Textbook of Periodontia-oral Medicine. By S.C. Miller ... and Members of the Periodontia Staff of New York University College of Dentistry. With ... a Chapter on ‘The Endocrine System in Periodontal Disease’ by Felix Boenheim, Etc.
- Mootha, A. et al. (2016) ‘The Effect of Periodontitis on Expression of Interleukin-21: A Systematic Review’, International journal of inflammation, 2016, p. 3507503.
- Panda, S. et al. (2014) ‘Platelet rich fibrin and xenograft in treatment of intrabony defect’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 5(4), pp. 550–554.
- Peeran, S. W. et al. (2012) ‘Periodontal Status and Risk Factors among Adults of Sebha City (Libya)’, International Journal of Dentistry, pp. 1–5. doi: 10.1155/2012/787502.
- Priyanka, S. et al. (2017) ‘Detection of cytomegalovirus, Epstein--Barr virus, and Torque Teno virus in subgingival and atheromatous plaques of cardiac patients with chronic periodontitis’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology. Wolters Kluwer--Medknow Publications, 21(6), p. 456.
- Ramamurthy, J. and Mg, V. (2018) ‘comparison Of Effect Of Hiora Mouthwash Versus Chlorhexidine Mouthwash In Gingivitis Patients: A Clinical Trial’, Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 11(7), pp. 84–88.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S. S., et al. (2016) ‘Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and periodontitis – unwinding their linking mechanisms’, Journal of Oral Biosciences, pp. 23–26. doi: 10.1016/j.job.2015.09.001.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S. S., et al. (2016) ‘Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases’, Journal of intercultural ethnopharmacology, 5(1), pp. 92–96.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2019) ‘Esthetic lip repositioning: A cosmetic approach for correction of gummy smile – A case series’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, p. 290. doi: 10.4103/jisp.jisp_548_18.
- Ramesh, A., Ravi, S. and Kaarthikeyan, G. (2017) ‘Comprehensive rehabilitation using dental implants in generalized aggressive periodontitis’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, p. 160. doi: 10.4103/jisp.jisp_213_17.
- Ravi, S., Malaiappan, S. and Varghese, S. (2017) ‘Additive Effect of Plasma Rich in Growth Factors With Guided Tissue Regeneration in Treatment of Intrabony Defects in Patients With Chronic Periodontitis: A Split …’, Journal of. Wiley Online Library. Available at: https://aap.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1902/jop.2017.160824.
- Robo, I. et al. (2017) ‘The impact of smoking on the health of periodontal tissue’, RAD Conference Proceedings. doi: 10.21175/radproc.2017.47.
- Tanık, A. (2019) ‘Evaluation of the relationship of CPITN and DMFT index of adult patients in Turkey with their demographic characteristics: an epidemiological study’, Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment, pp. 1626–1634. doi: 10.1080/13102818.2019.1688191.
- Thamaraiselvan, M. et al. (2015) ‘Comparative clinical evaluation of coronally advanced flap with or without platelet rich fibrin membrane in the treatment of isolated gingival recession’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 19(1), pp. 66–71.
- Varghese, S. S. et al. (2015) ‘Estimation of salivary tumor necrosis factor-alpha in chronic and aggressive periodontitis patients’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 6(Suppl 1), pp. S152–6.
- Wang, Q.-T. et al. (2007) ‘Epidemiology and preventive direction of periodontology in China’, Journal of clinical periodontology, 34(11), pp. 946–951.
- Article View: 182
- PDF Download: 120