Association Between Age and Gender of Patients Underwent Tooth Whitening procedure
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 571-579
AbstractTooth whitening has become one of the most frequently requested dental procedures by the public and the public has come to demand more whiter teeth, and a perfect smile. These include home-based products such as toothpastes, gels, and in-office based highly concentrated bleaching agents are applied under professional supervision. The profession and public have been aware of certain risks related to tooth whitening such as increased tooth sensitivity and gingival irritation. New research has shown that there are other risks such as tooth surface roughening, increased potential for demineralization, degradation of dental restorations, and unacceptable color change of dental restorations. The research is also focused on optimizing whitening procedures to reduce tooth sensitivity and to increase the persistence of the whitening. The aim of the study is to find the association between age and gender of patients undergoing tooth whitening. A total of 89000 cases were reviewed between June 2019 to March 2020 for teeth whitening procedure. A sample size of 30 case sheets were reviewed and data was analysed using SPSS software. The results were represented in the form of graphs. Chi Square was done to find the association between age and gender of patients who had undergone tooth whitening procedure and association was found to be statistically not significant (p>0.05). However there the association between the age and gender of the patient and type of bleaching procedure was found to be statistically significant (p<0.05). There are various treatment modalities available for tooth whitening. Dentists should educate patients about the benefits and risks of different whitening methods based on the current research and to suggest the best treatment option based on a correct diagnosis.
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Alkhatib, M. N., Holt, R. D. and Bedi, R. (2005) ‘Smoking and tooth discolouration: findings from a national cross-sectional study’, BMC public health, 5, p. 27.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Baroudi, K. and Hassan, N. A. (2014) ‘The effect of light-activation sources on tooth bleaching’, Nigerian medical journal: journal of the Nigeria Medical Association, 55(5), pp. 363–368.
- Carey, C. M. (2014) ‘Tooth whitening: what we now know’, The journal of evidence-based dental practice, 14 Suppl, pp. 70–76.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US), National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (US) and Office on Smoking and Health (US) (2010) Chemistry and Toxicology of Cigarette Smoke and Biomarkers of Exposure and Harm. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US).
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Gerlach, R. W. and Zhou, X. (2001) ‘Vital bleaching with whitening strips: summary of clinical research on effectiveness and tolerability’, The journal of contemporary dental practice, 2(3), pp. 1–16.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality: an in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science, 23(1), p. 8.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- John, M. T. et al. (2004) ‘Oral health-related quality of life in patients treated with fixed, removable, and complete dentures 1 month and 6 to 12 months after treatment’, The International journal of prosthodontics, 17(5), pp. 503–511.
- Jose, J., P., A. and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different Treatment Modalities followed by Dental Practitioners for Ellis Class 2 Fracture – A Questionnaire-based Survey’, The Open Dentistry Journal, pp. 59–65. doi: 10.2174/1874210602014010059.
- Joshi, S. B. (2016) ‘An overview of vital teeth bleaching’, Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry. Available at: http://www.jidonline.com/article.asp?issn=2229-5194;year=2016;volume=6;issue=1;spage=3;epage=13;aulast=Joshi.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Kershaw, S., Newton, J. T. and Williams, D. M. (2008) ‘The influence of tooth colour on the perceptions of personal characteristics among female dental patients: comparisons of unmodified, decayed and “whitened” teeth’, British dental journal, 204(5), p. E9; discussion 256–7.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Labban, N. et al. (2017) ‘Assessment of the influence of gender and skin color on the preference of tooth shade in Saudi population’, The Saudi dental journal, 29(3), pp. 102–110.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Manohar, M. P. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(6), pp. 716–720.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Mounika, A. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical evaluation of color change and tooth sensitivity with in-office and home bleaching treatments’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(4), pp. 423–427.
- Nandakumar, M. and Nasim, I. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 516–520.
- Nasim, I. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 510. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_51_18.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Noor, S. and Others (2016) ‘Chlorhexidine: Its properties and effects’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(10), pp. 1755–1760.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Qualtrough, A. J. and Burke, F. J. (1994) ‘A look at dental esthetics’, Quintessence international , 25(1), pp. 7–14.
- Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth--A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, 22(2), pp. 249–256.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ramanathan, S. and Solete, P. (2015) ‘Cone-beam Computed Tomography Evaluation of Root Canal Preparation using Various Rotary Instruments: An in vitro Study’, The journal of contemporary dental practice, 16(11), pp. 869–872.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Samorodnitzky-Naveh, G. R., Geiger, S. B. and Levin, L. (2007) ‘Patients’ satisfaction with dental esthetics’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 138(6), pp. 805–808.
- Siddique, R. et al. (2019) ‘Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 22(1), pp. 40–47.
- Teja, K. V. and Ramesh, S. (2019) ‘Shape optimal and clean more’, Saudi Endodontic Journal. Available at: http://www.saudiendodj.com/article.asp?issn=1658-5984;year=2019;volume=9;issue=3;spage=235;epage=236;aulast=Teja.
- Teja, K. V., Ramesh, S. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(6), pp. 592–596.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vadavadagi, S. V. et al. (2016) ‘Prevalence of Tooth Shade and its Correlation with Skin Colour - A Cross-sectional Study’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 10(2), pp. ZC72–4.
- Van der Geld, P., Oosterveld, P. and Van Heck, G. (2007) ‘Smile attractiveness: self-perception and influence on personality’, The Angle orthodontist. Available at: http://www.angle.org/doi/abs/10.2319/082606-349.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 246
- PDF Download: 226