Analysis of Partial Edentulism Of Kennedy’s Class I Classification Based on Gender and Arch- A Retrospective study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 507-513
AbstractA partially edentulous arches classification helps in identifying the teeth combinations, better communication and planning a good treatment. Kennedy’s classification will provide immediate prosthesis support recognition, visualization of risk, and design assessment that needed for a partial denture that will be fabricated. Therefore, this purpose of this study is to evaluate the partial edentulism of Kennedy’s Class I based on gender and arch. An institution based retrospective study was conducted among partial edentulism patients who visited Private Dental Hospital, Chennai. Data collection was obtained by reviewing 86,000 patients records between June 2019 and March 2020. The study was done in 103 patients among gender and arch by doing clinical examination for evaluating the partial edentulism of Kennedy’s Class I. The data were collected and tabulated in excel sheets which were imported to SPSS version 20. Descriptive statistics and Chi-square test were used to determine the correlation between the variables. In this present study, out of 103 patients, partial edentulism of Kennedy’s Class I is more common in males(56%) than females and the most common arch was found to be mandibular arch (52%). This study result concludes that there is no association between the gender and arches for patients with Kennedy’s Class I partial edentulism (p>0.05).
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Al-Ansari, A. (2014) ‘Prevalence, severity, and secular trends of dental caries among various saudi populations: A literature review’, Saudi Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, p. 142. doi: 10.4103/1658-631x.142496.
- AL-Dosari AM, AL-Wazan KA, AL-Garni MS, Abdulmajid (1997) ‘Tooth loss pattern and edentulousness among 1400 Saudi patients’, Cairo Dent J, 31(13).
- Anand, P. S., Kamath, K. P. and Nair, B. (2010) ‘Trends in Extraction of Permanent Teeth in Private Dental Practices in Kerala State, India’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 41–48. doi: 10.5005/jcdp-11-3-41.
- Anjum, A. S., Ganapathy, D. and Kumar, K. (2019) ‘Knowledge of the awareness of dentists on the management of burn injuries on the face’, Drug Invention Today, 11(9). Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiran_Pandurangan2/publication/337223550_Knowledge_of_the_awareness_of_dentists_on_the_management_of_burn_injuries_on_the_face/links/5dcbff5fa6fdcc5750470755/Knowledge-of-the-awareness-of-dentists-on-the-management-of-burn-injuries-on-the-face.pdf.
- Araby, Y. A., Almutairy, A. S. and Alotaibi, F. M. (2017) ‘Pattern of partial edentulism in correlation to age and gender among a selected Saudi population’, International Journal of Dental Sciences and Research, 5(1), pp. 1–4.
- Ariga, P. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of Correlation of Width of Maxillary Anterior Teeth using Extraoral and Intraoral Factors in Indian Population: A Systematic Review’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 68–75. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1509.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Ashok, V. et al. (2014) ‘Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report’, Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, 14(Suppl 1), pp. 279–282.
- Basha, F. Y. S., Ganapathy, D. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3099. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Devishree, R. A., Sangeetha, S. and Jain, A. R. (2018) ‘Prevalence of partial edentulism according to Kennedy’s classification based on age, gender, and arch’, Drug Invention Today, 10(1), pp. 108–110.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- D’Souza, K. M. and Aras, M. (2014) ‘Association between socio-demographic variables and partial edentulism in the Goan population: an epidemiological study in India’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 25(4), pp. 434–438.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Ganapathy, D. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 10(12), pp. ZC67–ZC70.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Inchara, R., Ganapathy, D. and Kumar, P. K. (2019) ‘Preference of antibiotics in pediatric dentistry’, Drug Invent Today, 11, pp. 1495–1498.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jeyapalan, V. (2015) ‘Partial Edentulism and its Correlation to Age, Gender, Socio-economic Status and Incidence of Various Kennedy’s Classes– A Literature Review’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2015/13776.6124.
- Jeyapalan, V. and Krishnan, C. S. (2015) ‘Partial Edentulism and its Correlation to Age, Gender, Socio-economic Status and Incidence of Various Kennedy’s Classes- A Literature Review’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(6), pp. ZE14–7.
- Jyothi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Periodontal health status of three different groups wearing temporary partial denture’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(12), pp. 4339–4342.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Lone, M. A., Shah, S. A. and Mir, S. (2019) ‘Pattern of partial edentulism based on Kennedys classification among dental patients in Kashmir: retrospective study’. Available at: http://www.oraljournal.com/pdf/2019/vol5issue2/PartD/5-2-18-277.pdf.
- Madhankumar, S. et al. (2015) ‘Prevalence of partial edentulousness among the patients reporting to the Department of Prosthodontics Sri Ramachandra University Chennai, India: An epidemiological study’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 7(Suppl 2), pp. S643–7.
- Manimaran, P. et al. (2017) ‘Partial Edentulousness in a Rural Population Based on Kennedy’s Classification: Epidemiological Study’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 9(Suppl 1), pp. S34–S36.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Moaleem, M. A. (2017) ‘Patterns of Partial Edentulism and its Relation to Khat Chewing in Jazan Population - A Survey Study’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), pp. ZC55–ZC59.
- Moaleem, M. M. A. and Al Moaleem, M. M. (2016) ‘Pattern of Partial Edentulism and Its Relation to Age, Gender, Causes of Teeth Loss in Jazan Population’, American Journal of Health Research, p. 121. doi: 10.11648/j.ajhr.20160405.12.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Pallegedara, C. and Ekanayake, L. (2005) ‘Tooth loss, the wearing of dentures and associated factors in Sri Lankan older individuals’, Gerodontology, 22(4), pp. 193–199.
- Pandurangan, K. K., Veeraiyan, D. N. and Nesappan, T. (2020) ‘In vitro evaluation of fracture resistance and cyclic fatigue resistance of computer-aided design-on and hand-layered zirconia crowns following cementation on …’, The Journal of Indian Orthodontic Society. Available at: http://www.j-ips.org/article.asp?issn=0972-4052;year=2020;volume=20;issue=1;spage=90;epage=96;aulast=Pandurangan.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patel, J. Y. et al. (2014) ‘Assessment of Partially edentulous patients based on Kennedy’s classification and its relation with Gender Predilection’, International Journal of Scientific Study, 2(6), pp. 32–36.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- Prabhu, N. et al. (2009) ‘Partial edentulousness in a rural population based on Kennedy’s classification: An epidemiological study’, Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, 9(1), p. 18.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ramya, G., Pandurangan, K. and Ganapathy, D. (2019) ‘Correlation between anterior crowding and bruxism-related parafunctional habits’, Drug Invention Today, 12(10). Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiran_Pandurangan2/publication/337223674_Correlation_between_anterior_crowding_and_bruxism-related_parafunctional_habits/links/5dcc083a92851c81804bf0fd/Correlation-between-anterior-crowding-and-bruxism-related-parafunctional-habits.pdf.
- Reddy, B. A., Ganapathy, D. and Kumar, P. K. (no date) ‘Prevalence of toothpaste swallowing habit in children between the age group of 3 and 5 years’, researchgate.net. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiran_Pandurangan2/publication/335523804_Prevalence_of_toothpaste_swallowing_habit_in_children_between_the_age_group_of_3_and_5_years/links/5d6a753da6fdcc547d6e8576/Prevalence-of-toothpaste-swallowing-habit-in-children-between-the-age-group-of-3-and-5-years.pdf.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Saleh, M. M., Tahir, C. D. and Abdel-Rahman, H. K. (2013) ‘Incidence of partial edentulism and its relation with age and gender’, Zanco Journal of Medical Sciences, 17(2), pp. 463–470.
- Selvan, S. R. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(10), pp. 1815–1818.
- Sharma, A. (2019) ‘Description of Partial Edentulism among Patients Visiting the Prosthodontic Department at a Tertiary Care Center in the Eastern part of Nepal’, Acta Scientific Dental Sciences, 3, pp. 130–137.
- Shivani Jandial, Ritesh Gupta, Satish Sharma, Nanika Mahajan, Bhanu Kotwal, Sharad Kharyal (08-2017) ‘Incidence of Partial Edentulism Based on Kennedy’s Classification in Jammu’, International Journal of Preventive and Public Health Sciences, 3(2), pp. 38–40.
- Shree, Y., Kumar, K. and Ganapathy, D. (no date) ‘Awareness of basic life support among dental students’, researchgate.net. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiran_Pandurangan2/publication/339873903_Awareness_of_basic_life_support_among_dental_students/links/5e69b30e458515c5de628420/Awareness-of-basic-life-support-among-dental-students.pdf.
- Subasree, S., Murthykumar, K. and Dhanraj (2016) ‘Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 609. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00116.5.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Venugopalan, S. et al. (2014) ‘Case Report: Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 17(2), pp. 260–264.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vijayalakshmi, B. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Medical management of cellulitis’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(11), pp. 2067–2070.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 279
- PDF Download: 135