Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Regarding Minimal Invasive Dentistry Among General Dental Practitioners in Tamil Nadu
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 466-475
AbstractMinimal intervention dentistry (MID) is a treatment philosophy that emphasizes the protection of existing tooth structure. It has been incorporated in dental curricula world wide in the management of dental caries. There is limited evidence that , whether the familiarity with MID principles inhibited through the curriculum is translated into clinical decision making and practice. The study was conducted to assess the knowledge,attitude,practice of general dental practitioners towards MID, registered dental practitioners in chennai formed the sampling frame. The data was analyzed using SPSS software and chi square tests were done between knowledge and attitude scores, knowledge scores and gender . 44.4% had good knowledge and 37.9% had good attitudes towards MID. General practitioners who had 5 to 10 years of clinical experience had 47.8% knowledge. Males had 39.1% good practice while females had 60.9% good practice . More of MID must be put into practice in the dental curriculum and implementing them during their clinical practice would ensure the proper knowledge and practice of dentists in future.
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Brostek, A. M., Bochenek, A. J. and Walsh, L. J. (2006) ‘Minimally invasive dentistry: a review and update’, Shanghai kou qiang yi xue = Shanghai journal of stomatology, 15(3), pp. 225–249.
- Christensen, G. J. (2005) ‘The advantages of minimally invasive dentistry’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 136(11), pp. 1563–1565.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Ericson, D. et al. (2003) ‘Minimally invasive dentistry—concepts and techniques in cariology’, Oral health & preventive dentistry, 1(1), pp. 59–72.
- Ericson, D. (2007) ‘The concept of minimally invasive dentistry’, Dental update, 34(1), pp. 9–10, 12–4, 17–8.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Gujjar, K. R. and Sumra, N. (2013) ‘Minimally invasive dentistry-A review’, Int J Clin Prev Dent, 9(2), pp. 109–120.
- Gupta, G., Shanbhag, N. and Puranik, M. P. (2015) ‘Perceptions regarding minimal intervention dentistry among dental interns in India: A cross-sectional survey’, International Journal of Contemporary Dental and Medical Reviews, 330115, pp. 1–5.
- Gutmann, J. L. (2013) ‘Minimally invasive dentistry (Endodontics)’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 16(4), pp. 282–283.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Murdoch-Kinch, C. A. and McLean, M. E. (2003) ‘Minimally invasive dentistry’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 134(1), pp. 87–95.
- Natarajan, K. and Prabakar, J. (2019) ‘Knowledge, attitude, and practice on minimally invasive dentistry among dental professionals in Chennai’, Drug Invention Today, 11(8). Available at: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=09757619&AN=139149301&h=tjV%2FaSdMzDTHvTgH%2BY8kLVUdz4hiTcW760kBeV2G2g3O84cuebHPTejuCEjWAQ9aiQdHITFuTN4VOr1PuZZ1nQ%3D%3D&crl=c.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Oliveira, D. C. (2011) Minimally invasive dentistry approach in dental public health. University of Iowa. doi: 10.17077/etd.ri6w529b.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rayapudi, J. and Usha, C. (2018) ‘Knowledge, attitude and skills of dental practitioners of Puducherry on minimally invasive dentistry concepts: A questionnaire survey’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(3), pp. 257–262.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Shah, A. H. et al. (2016) ‘Knowledge and Attitude among General Dental Practitioners towards Minimally Invasive Dentistry in Riyadh and AlKharj’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 10(7), pp. ZC90–4.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 173
- PDF Download: 143