Retrospective Study on Amount of Local Anaesthesia Used in Extraction of Mandibular Third Molar Impaction Based on Winters Classification
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 459-465
AbstractLocal anaesthesia are most commonly used drugs in dentistry. The required dose of local anaesthesia is based on factors like age, weight, systemic illness etc. Failure to administer the right amount may lead to adverse effects. Mandibular third molar is a common tooth to get impacted and due to which discomfort,pain and also caries in adjacent teeth occurs.Thus the aim of the study is to determine the amount of local anesthesia used in extraction of mandibular third molar. Evaluation of 634 patients reported to saveetha dental college for extraction of mandibular third molar. Data was collected from dental archiving software and the results were statistically analysed. From the results obtained, we can observe that impactions which use 0-2ml of local anaesthesia are mesioangular(28.01%), Distoangular impaction (8.79%), Horizontal impaction(21.01%), vertical impaction (6.35%), and impactions which use 3-5 ml are mesioangular(12.87%), Distoangular impaction (5.37%), Horizontal impaction(12.21%), vertical impaction (3.58%) and impactions which use 6-10 ml are mesioangular(1.30%), vertical impaction (0.33%) and the type of impaction which uses more amount of local anaesthesia was found to be mesioangular impaction but the results obtained are found to be statistically not significant(p>0.05). According to the age distribution, patients who use 0-2 ml of local anaesthesia belong to the age group of 17-25 years (23.78%), 26-35 years(28.50%), 36-45 years(8.41%), 45-65 years(3.75%) and patients who use 3-5ml of local anaesthesia belong to the age group of 17-25 years (12.87%), 26-35 years(15.64%), 36-45 years(4.56%), 45-65 years(0.98%) and the patients of age group 17-25 years use maximum dose of local anaesthesia but the results obtained are statistically insignificant (p>0.05). Within the limits of the study, we can conclude that mesioangular impaction is the common impaction that uses a maximum dose of 6-10 ml and age groups of 26-35 years use more LA upto 5ml and ages 17-25 years use a maximum of 6-10 ml.
- Abdul Wahab PU, Senthil Nathan P, Madhulaxmi M, et al. (2017) Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy. Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery 16(3): 328–332.
- Abhinav R. P., Sweta VR and Ramesh A (2019) Role of virtual reality in pain perception of patients following the administration of local anesthesia. Annals of Maxillofacial Surgery. DOI: 10.4103/ams.ams_263_18.
- Abhinav Rajendra Prabhu, Selvarasu K, Maheswari GU, et al. (2019) The Patterns and Etiology of Maxillofacial Trauma in South India. Annals of maxillofacial surgery 9(1): 114–117.
- Albert DG de M, de Melo Albert DG, Gomes ACA, et al. (2006) Comparison of Orthopantomographs and Conventional Tomography Images for Assessing the Relationship Between Impacted Lower Third Molars and the Mandibular Canal. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. DOI: 10.1016/j.joms.2006.03.020.
- Ashok BS, Ajith TA and Sivanesan S (2017) Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease. Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology 44(3): 327–334.
- Ayoub ST and Coleman AE (1992) A review of local anesthetics. General dentistry 40(4): 285–7, 289–90.
- Becker DE and Reed KL (2012) Local anesthetics: review of pharmacological considerations. Anesthesia progress 59(2): 90–101; quiz 102–3.
- Bello SA, Adeyemo WL, Bamgbose BO, et al. (2011) Effect of age, impaction types and operative time on inflammatory tissue reactions following lower third molar surgery. Head & face medicine 7: 8.
- Blanton PL and Jeske AH (2002) Misconceptions involving dental local anesthesia. Part 1: Anatomy. Texas dental journal 119(4): 296–300, 302–4, 306–7.
- Brown RS, Paluvoi S, Choksi S, et al. (2002) Evaluating a dental patient for local anesthesia allergy. The Compendium of continuing education in dentistry 23(2): 125–8, 131–2, 134 passim; quiz 140.
- Christabel A, Anantanarayanan P, Subash P, et al. (2016) Comparison of pterygomaxillary dysjunction with tuberosity separation in isolated Le Fort I osteotomies: a prospective, multi-centre, triple-blind, randomized controlled trial. International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery 45(2): 180–185.
- Danda AK (2010) Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 68(7): 1565–1567.
- Devi VS and Gnanavel BK (2014) Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag. Procedia Engineering 97: 95–104.
- Eapen BV, Baig MF and Avinash S (2017) An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions. Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery 16(1): 48–52.
- Gopalakannan S, Senthilvelan T and Ranganathan S (2012) Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM. Procedia Engineering 38: 685–690.
- Govindaraju L, Neelakantan P and Gutmann JL (2017) Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements. Clinical oral investigations 21(2): 567–571.
- Jain SV, Muthusekhar MR and Baig MF (2019) Evaluation of three-dimensional changes in pharyngeal airway following isolated lefort one osteotomy for the correction of vertical maxillary excess: a prospective …. Journal of maxillofacial. Springer. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12663-018-1113-4.
- Jeevanandan G and Govindaraju L (2018) Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry. DOI: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jesudasan JS, Wahab PUA and Sekhar MRM (2015) Effectiveness of 0.2% chlorhexidine gel and a eugenol-based paste on postoperative alveolar osteitis in patients having third molars extracted: a randomised controlled clinical trial. The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery 53(9): 826–830.
- Juodzbalys G and Daugela P (2013) Mandibular third molar impaction: review of literature and a proposal of a classification. Journal of oral & maxillofacial research 4(2): e1.
- Kavitha M, Subramanian R, Narayanan R, et al. (2014) Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals. Powder Technology 253: 129–137.
- Khalil H (2014) Local anesthetics dosage still a problem for most dentists: A survey of current knowledge and awareness. The Saudi Journal for Dental Research 5(1): 49–53.
- Kumar S (2015) Newer delivery systems for local anesthesia in dentistry. J Pharm Sci Res 7: 252–255.
- Kumar S and Sneha S (2016) KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS REGARDING ANTIBIOTIC PROPHYLAXIS FOR INFECTIVE ENDOCARDITIS AMONG UNDERGRADUATE DENTAL STUDENTS. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. DOI: 10.22159/ajpcr.2016.v9s2.13405.
- Lekha L, Kanmani Raja K, Rajagopal G, et al. (2014a) Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines. Journal of organometallic chemistry 753: 72–80.
- Lekha L, Kanmani Raja K, Rajagopal G, et al. (2014b) Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms. Journal of Molecular Structure. DOI: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Marimuthu M, Andiappan M, Wahab A, et al. (2018) Canonical Wnt pathway gene expression and their clinical correlation in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research 29(3): 291–297.
- Menon S, Ks SD, R S, et al. (2018) Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism. Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces 170: 280–292.
- Mp SK (2017a) Relationship between dental anxiety and pain experience during dental extractions. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. pdfs.semanticscholar.org. Available at: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f024/7b95077e4a0bb861eb9b8b815893f19758d6.pdf.
- Mp SK (2017b) The emerging role of botulinum toxin in the treatment of orofacial disorders: Literature update. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. innovareacademics.org. Available at: https://innovareacademics.org/journals/index.php/ajpcr/article/download/16914/12228.
- Mp SK and Rahman R (2017) Knowledge, awareness, and practices regarding biomedical waste management among undergraduate dental students. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. innovareacademics.org. Available at: https://innovareacademics.org/journals/index.php/ajpcr/article/download/19101/12066.
- Nakai Y, Milgrom P, Mancl L, et al. (2000) EFFECTIVENESS OF LOCAL ANESTHESIA IN PEDIATRIC DENTAL PRACTICE. The Journal of the American Dental Association. DOI: 10.14219/jada.archive.2000.0115.
- Neelakantan P, Grotra D and Sharma S (2013) Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis. Journal of endodontia 39(7): 893–896.
- Neelakantan P., Cheng CQ, Mohanraj R, et al. (2015) Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro. International endodontic journal 48(6): 602–610.
- Neelakantan Prasanna, Sharma S, Shemesh H, et al. (2015) Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis. Journal of endodontia 41(7): 1108–1111.
- Packiri S, Gurunathan D and Selvarasu K (2017) Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 11(9): ZE06–ZE09.
- Parthasarathy M, Isaac JoshuaRamesh Lalvani J, Dhinesh B, et al. (2016) Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine. Ecotoxicology and environmental safety 134(Pt 2): 433–439.
- Patil SB, Durairaj D, Suresh Kumar G, et al. (2017) Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study. Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery 16(3): 312–321.
- Patturaja K and Pradeep D (2016) Awareness of Basic Dental Procedure among General Population. Journal of pharmacy research. indianjournals.com. Available at: http://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:rjpt&volume=9&issue=9&article=010.
- PradeepKumar AR, Shemesh H, Jothilatha S, et al. (2016) Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study. Journal of endodontia 42(8): 1175–1180.
- Praveen K, Narayanan V, Muthusekhar MR, et al. (2001) Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study. The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery 39(2): 138–140.
- Putchala MC, Ramani P, Herald J. Sherlin, et al. (2013) Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review. Archives of Oral Biology. DOI: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran R, Kunjusankaran RN, Sandhya R, et al. (2019) Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study. Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada. DOI: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rao TD and Kumar MP (2018) Analgesic Efficacy of Paracetamol Vs Ketorolac after Dental Extractions. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 11(8). A & V Publications: 3375–3379.
- Sajan D, Udaya Lakshmi K, Erdogdu Y, et al. (2011) Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study. Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy 78(1): 113–121.
- Uthrakumar R, Vesta C, Raj CJ, et al. (2010) Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method. Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society 10(2): 548–552.
- Vijayakumar GNS, Devashankar S, Rathnakumari M, et al. (2010) Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies. Journal of alloys and compounds 507(1): 225–229.
- Vijayalakshmi B and Kumar MPS (2015) Knowledge of students about Local anaesthetics used during oral surgical procedures. Journal of Pharmaceutical. search.proquest.com. Available at: http://search.proquest.com/openview/48cb9b4321987f331ca65487b6ace4b9/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=54977.
- Vishnu Prasad S, Kumar M, Ramakrishnan M, et al. (2018) Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India. Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry 38(1): 58–59.
- Wahab PUA, Madhulaxmi M, Senthilnathan P, et al. (2018) Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 76(6): 1160–1164.
- Wahl MJ and Brown RS (2010) Dentistry’s wonder drugs: local anesthetics and vasoconstrictors. General dentistry 58(2): 114–23; quiz 124–5.
- Article View: 251
- PDF Download: 131