Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
2 Reader, Department of Public health dentistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
3 Reader, Department of orthodontics, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
As a normal situation of disease can take over a pandemic role and affect the population around the world,it's necessary for all the doctors and front line officers to be ready to act in case of any emergency at any time. This survey aims to assess the knowledge and attitude of interns, towards handling a pandemic situation without fear and hesitation. This online questionnaire survey containing 15 items were used among 100 interns of a private dental college in chennai. The responses obtained were collected and tabulated in excel and then exported to SPSS, chi square test was used to check the association between gender and knowledge , knowledge and attitude. 13.0% of females had good knowledge when compared to males (4.0%) and 32.0% males had positive attitudes, when compared to 21% females. It can be concluded that a positive attitude in nearly 50% of the study population with fair to poor knowledge, might not make them competent enough in being a part of the task force. Rigorous training and stringent protocols on infection control would prepare the target population for the new normal situation arising in the world
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Balkhy, H. H. et al. (2010) ‘Awareness, attitudes, and practices related to the swine influenza pandemic among the Saudi public’, BMC infectious diseases, 10, p. 42.
- Brulin, E. (2009) Consequences and preparedness of pandemic influenza, a national consern : A study of the effect of the Asian Flu on the Swedish military. diva-portal.org. Available at: http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2:134338 (Accessed: 11 June 2020).
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Girard, M. P. et al. (2010) ‘The 2009 A (H1N1) influenza virus pandemic: A review’, Vaccine, pp. 4895–4902. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2010.05.031.
- Gomersall, C. D. et al. (2007) ‘Pandemic preparedness’, Current opinion in critical care, 13(6), pp. 742–747.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Harini, G. and Leelavathi, L. (2019) ‘Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Smoking Cessation-An Overview’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 3588. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.04144.5.
- Health Organization, W. (2010) ‘Public health measures taken at international borders during early stages of pandemic influenza A (H1N1) 2009: preliminary results: Background’, Weekly Epidemiological Record. Available at: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/241567/WER8521_186-195.PDF.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Kannan, S. S. D. et al. (2017) ‘AWARENESS AND ATTITUDE TOWARDS MASS DISASTER AND ITS MANAGEMENT AMONG HOUSE SURGEONS IN A DENTAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL IN CHENNAI, INDIA’, in Disaster Management and Human Health Risk V. DISASTER MANAGEMENT 2017, Southampton UK: WIT Press (WIT Transactions on The Built Environment), pp. 121–129.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Khatri, S. G. et al. (2019) ‘Retention of moisture-tolerant fluoride-releasing sealant and amorphous calcium phosphate-containing sealant in 6-9-year-old children: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 92–98.
- Kumar, R. P. and Preethi, R. (2017) ‘Assessment of Water Quality and Pollution of Porur, Chembarambakkam and Puzhal Lake’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(7), pp. 2157–2159.
- Kumar, R. P. and Vijayalakshmi, B. (2017) ‘Assessment of fluoride concentration in ground water in Madurai district, Tamil Nadu, India’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(1), pp. 309–310.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations. doi: 10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Mohapatra, S. et al. (2019) ‘Assessment of Microhardness of Enamel Carious Like Lesions After Treatment with Nova Min, Bio Min and Remin Pro Containing Toothpastes: An in Vitro Study’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 10(10), pp. 375–380.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Neralla, M. et al. (2019) ‘Role of nutrition in rehabilitation of patients following surgery for oral squamous cell carcinoma’, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(4), pp. 3197–3203.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- Pavithra, R. P., Preethi Pavithra, R. and Jayashri, P. (2019) ‘Influence of Naturally Occurring Phytochemicals on Oral Health’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3979. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2019.00685.1.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I., Kumar, R. and Srisakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of retention, cariostatic effect and discoloration of conventional and hydrophilic sealants - A single blinded randomized split mouth clinical trial’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 233. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_132_18.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of the Viscosity and Length of Resin Tags of Conventional and Hydrophilic Pit and Fissure Sealants on Permanent Molars: An In vitro Study’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(3), pp. 388–394.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I., Kumar, R. and Sakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparing the effectiveness of probiotic, green tea, and chlorhexidine- and fluoride-containing dentifrices on oral microbial flora: A double-blind, randomized clinical trial’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 560. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_659_18.
- Prabakar, J., John, J. and Srisakthi, D. (2016) ‘Prevalence of dental caries and treatment needs among school going children of Chandigarh’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 27(5), pp. 547–552.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Pratha, A. A. and Prabakar, J. (2019) ‘Comparing the effect of Carbonated and energy drinks on salivary pH-In Vivo Randomized Controlled Trial’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 12(10), pp. 4699–4702.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.