Association of Vertical Growth Pattern with Various Malocclusions Among Subjects Reporting to An Institutional Set Up
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 409-417
AbstractFacial vertical growth pattern plays an important role in achieving facial balance as well as response to orthodontic treatment. Variation in growth pattern ,function of soft tissue and jaw musculature has an impact on dentoalveolar tissues thus influencing the pattern of malocclusion. The present study aims to identify the vertical growth patterns and its association with different malocclusion. A retrospective study was conducted using the case records of patients in a private University hospital between June 2019 to March 2020. The sample size consisted of a total of 225 patients based on malocclusion (class I -75 , class II - 75, Class III -75) whose data on age, gender, skeletal growth pattern were recorded. Frequency distribution and chi-square tests were applied for statistical analysis in SPSS 20.0. The study results showed that there is a statistically significant association between type of malocclusion and vertical growth pattern (p=0.026) vertical growth pattern was common in class II malocclusion. Also there was no statistically significant difference between vertical growth pattern and age (p= 0.524), gender (p=0.178).Hence it can be concluded that vertical growth pattern is not associated with age, gender but in subjects with class II malocclusion vertical growth pattern is more common than in other malocclusions.
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- de Almeida Cardoso, M. et al. (2011) ‘Epidemiology of long face pattern in schoolchildren attending middle schools at the city of Bauru-SP’, Dental press journal of orthodontics, 16(2). Available at: http://www.dentalpresspub.com/en/dpjo/v16n2/108.pdf.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Bishara, S. E. and Jakobsen, J. R. (1998) ‘Changes in overbite and face height from 5 to 45 years of age in normal subjects’, The Angle orthodontist, 68(3), pp. 209–216.
- Blanchette, M. E. et al. (1996) ‘A longitudinal cephalometric study of the soft tissue profile of short- and long face syndromes from 7 to 17 years’, American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, pp. 116–131. doi: 10.1016/s0889-5406(96)70172-5.
- Broadbent, T. and Bolton, R. (1975) ‘Standards of dentofacial developmental growth’, St. Louis, Mo. : Mosby.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Dinesh, S. P. S. et al. (2013) ‘An indigenously designed apparatus for measuring orthodontic force’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 7(11), pp. 2623–2626.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Felicita, A. S. (2017) ‘Orthodontic management of a dilacerated central incisor and partially impacted canine with unilateral extraction - A case report’, The Saudi dental journal, 29(4), pp. 185–193.
- Felicita, A. S., Chandrasekar, S. and Shanthasundari, K. K. (2012) ‘Determination of craniofacial relation among the subethnic Indian population: a modified approach - (Sagittal relation)’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 23(3), pp. 305–312.
- Felicita, A. S. and Sumathi Felicita, A. (2017) ‘Quantification of intrusive/retraction force and moment generated during en-masse retraction of maxillary anterior teeth using mini-implants: A conceptual approach’, Dental Press Journal of Orthodontics, pp. 47–55. doi: 10.1590/2177-6709.22.5.047-055.oar.
- Felicita, A. S. and Sumathi Felicita, A. (2018) ‘Orthodontic extrusion of Ellis Class VIII fracture of maxillary lateral incisor – The sling shot method’, The Saudi Dental Journal, pp. 265–269. doi: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2018.05.001.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Grippaudo, C. et al. (2013) ‘Relationship between vertical facial patterns and dental arch form in class II malocclusion’, Progress in orthodontics, 14, p. 43.
- Jacob, H. B. and Buschang, P. H. (2011) ‘Vertical craniofacial growth changes in French-Canadians between 10 and 15 years of age’, American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics: official publication of the American Association of Orthodontists, its constituent societies, and the American Board of Orthodontics, 139(6), pp. 797–805.
- Jain, R. K., Kumar, S. P. and Manjula, W. S. (2014) ‘Comparison of intrusion effects on maxillary incisors among mini implant anchorage, j-hook headgear and utility arch’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 8(7), pp. ZC21–4.
- Janson, G. R. et al. (1998) ‘Dental maturation in subjects with extreme vertical facial types’, European journal of orthodontics, 20(1), pp. 73–78.
- Janson, G. R., Metaxas, A. and Woodside, D. G. (1994) ‘Variation in maxillary and mandibular molar and incisor vertical dimension in 12-year-old subjects with excess, normal, and short lower anterior face height’, American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics: official publication of the American Association of Orthodontists, its constituent societies, and the American Board of Orthodontics, 106(4), pp. 409–418.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Kamisetty, S. K. et al. (2015) ‘SBS vs Inhouse Recycling Methods-An Invitro Evaluation’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(9), pp. ZC04–8.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Krishnan, S., Pandian, S. and Kumar S, A. (2015) ‘Effect of bisphosphonates on orthodontic tooth movement-an update’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(4), pp. ZE01–5.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Opdebeeck, H. and Bell, W. H. (1978) ‘The short face syndrome’, American journal of orthodontics, 73(5), pp. 499–511.
- Pandian, K. S., Krishnan, S. and Kumar, S. A. (2018) ‘Angular photogrammetric analysis of the soft-tissue facial profile of Indian adults’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(2), pp. 137–143.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ramesh Kumar, K. R. et al. (2011) ‘Depth of resin penetration into enamel with 3 types of enamel conditioning methods: A confocal microscopic study’, American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics: official publication of the American Association of Orthodontists, its constituent societies, and the American Board of Orthodontics, 140(4), pp. 479–485.
- Rubika, J., Felicita, A. S. and Sivambiga, V. (2015) ‘Gonial angle as an indicator for the prediction of growth pattern’, World J Dent, 6(3), pp. 161–163.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Samantha, C. et al. (2017) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Two Bis-GMA Based Orthodontic Bonding Adhesives - A Randomized Clinical Trial’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(4), pp. ZC40–ZC44.
- Schendel, S. A. et al. (1976) ‘The long face syndrome: vertical maxillary excess’, American journal of orthodontics, 70(4), pp. 398–408.
- Shaikh, A. J. and Alvi, A. R. (2009) ‘Comparison of cephalometric norms of esthetically pleasing faces’, Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons--Pakistan: JCPSP, 19(12), pp. 754–758.
- Sivamurthy, G. and Sundari, S. (2016) ‘Stress distribution patterns at mini-implant site during retraction and intrusion—a three-dimensional finite element study’, Progress in orthodontics, 17(1), p. 4.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vikram, N. R. et al. (2017) ‘Ball Headed Mini Implant’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(1), pp. ZL02–ZL03.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Viswanath, A. et al. (2015) ‘Obstructive sleep apnea: awakening the hidden truth’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 18(1), pp. 1–7.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 221
- PDF Download: 125