Association Between Trauma from Occlusion and Periodontal Status of Mandibular Anterior Teeth
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 380-385
AbstractAny occlusal force which goes beyond the adaptive capacity of our periodontium causes injury to periodontal structure, and the resultant trauma is called trauma from occlusion (TFO). Several views have been interpreted as trauma from occlusion as an etiological factor or cofactor for occurrence of periodontal status. The aim of the present study was to assess the association between trauma from occlusion and mandibular anterior teeth. This retrospective study was conducted in a private institution in Chennai using the patient records from June 2019 to March 2020. A total of 100 patients were randomly selected and were categorized into two groups; Group 1 (n=50): patients with TFO and Group 2 (n=50): patients without TFO. Data regarding the presence or absence of clinical attachment loss and mobility of mandibular anterior teeth was collected from the record and analysed. Descriptive and inferential statistics were done using SPSS software, Version 23. In the present study, majority of the patients with trauma from occlusion presented with clinical attachment loss (43%) and mobility in mandibular anterior teeth (38%). Also, there was a statistically significant association between trauma from occlusion and periodontal disease in mandibular anterior teeth. (p=0.000)
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Avinash, K., Malaippan, S. and Dooraiswamy, J. N. (2017) ‘Methods of Isolation and Characterization of Stem Cells from Different Regions of Oral Cavity Using Markers: A Systematic Review’, International journal of stem cells, 10(1), pp. 12–20.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Davies, S. J. et al. (2001) ‘Occlusal considerations in periodontics’, British dental journal, 191(11), pp. 597–604.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Hallmon, W. W. and Harrel, S. K. (2004) ‘Occlusal analysis, diagnosis and management in the practice of periodontics’, Periodontology 2000, 34, pp. 151–164.
- Harrel, S. K. (2003) ‘Occlusal forces as a risk factor for periodontal disease’, Periodontology 2000, 32, pp. 111–117.
- Harrel, S. K. and Nunn, M. E. (2004) ‘The effect of occlusal discrepancies on gingival width’, Journal of periodontology, 75(1), pp. 98–105.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Junqueira, R. B., De Siqueira F. Anzaloni Saavedra, G. and De Macedo, N. L. (2015) ‘Considerations about the relation between occlusal trauma and periodontal/peri-implant disease’, Brazilian Dental Science, p. 9. doi: 10.14295/bds.2015.v18i2.1079.
- Kavarthapu, A. and Thamaraiselvan, M. (2018) ‘Assessing the variation in course and position of inferior alveolar nerve among south Indian population: A cone beam computed tomographic study’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 405. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_418_17.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Khalid, W. et al. (2016) ‘Role of endothelin-1 in periodontal diseases: A structured review’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 27(3), pp. 323–333.
- Khalid, W. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Serum Levels of Endothelin-1 in Chronic Periodontitis Patients Before and After Treatment’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(4), pp. ZC78–ZC81.
- Kundapur, P. P., Bhat, K. M. and Bhat, G. S. (2009) ‘Association of trauma from occlusion with localized gingival recession in mandibular anterior teeth’, Dental research journal, 6(2), pp. 71–74.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Lindhe, J., Lang, N. P. and Karring, T. (2008) Clinical Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, 2 Volumes. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Loe, H. et al. (1978) ‘The natural history of periodontal disease in man’, Journal of Periodontal Research, pp. 550–562. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0765.1978.tb00209.x.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Mootha, A. et al. (2016) ‘The Effect of Periodontitis on Expression of Interleukin-21: A Systematic Review’, International journal of inflammation, 2016, p. 3507503.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Nunn, M. E. and Harrel, S. K. (2001) ‘The effect of occlusal discrepancies on periodontitis. I. Relationship of initial occlusal discrepancies to initial clinical parameters’, Journal of periodontology, 72(4), pp. 485–494.
- Panda, S. et al. (2014) ‘Platelet rich fibrin and xenograft in treatment of intrabony defect’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 5(4), pp. 550–554.
- ‘Parameter on occlusal traumatism in patients with chronic periodontitis. American Academy of Periodontology’ (2000) Journal of periodontology, 71(5 Suppl), pp. 873–875.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Prasad, D. K. et al. (2013) ‘The Influence of Occlusal Trauma on Gingival Recession and Gingival Clefts’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, pp. 7–12. doi: 10.1007/s13191-012-0158-1.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Priyanka, S. et al. (2017) ‘Detection of cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr virus, and Torque Teno virus in subgingival and atheromatous plaques of cardiac patients with chronic periodontitis’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 21(6), pp. 456–460.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ramamurthy, J. and Mg, V. (2018) ‘COMPARISON OF EFFECT OF HIORA MOUTHWASH VERSUS CHLORHEXIDINE MOUTHWASH IN GINGIVITIS PATIENTS: A CLINICAL TRIAL’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 84. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2018.v11i7.24783.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S. S., et al. (2016) ‘Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and periodontitis – unwinding their linking mechanisms’, Journal of Oral Biosciences, pp. 23–26. doi: 10.1016/j.job.2015.09.001.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S. S., et al. (2016) ‘Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases’, Journal of intercultural ethnopharmacology, 5(1), pp. 92–96.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2019) ‘Esthetic lip repositioning: A cosmetic approach for correction of gummy smile - A case series’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 23(3), pp. 290–294.
- Ramesh, A., Ravi, S. and Kaarthikeyan, G. (2017) ‘Comprehensive rehabilitation using dental implants in generalized aggressive periodontitis’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, p. 160. doi: 10.4103/jisp.jisp_213_17.
- Ravi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Additive Effect of Plasma Rich in Growth Factors With Guided Tissue Regeneration in Treatment of Intrabony Defects in Patients With Chronic Periodontitis: A Split-Mouth Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial’, Journal of Periodontology, pp. 839–845. doi: 10.1902/jop.2017.160824.
- Rodier, P. (1990) ‘[Clinical research on the etiopathology of gingival recession]’, Journal de parodontologie, 9(3), pp. 227–234.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Sanadi, D. R. M. et al. (2016) ‘Role of trauma from occlusion in periodontal disease- A controversy’, IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences, pp. 118–122. doi: 10.9790/0853-150904118122.
- Singh, D., Jalaluddin, M. and Rajeev, R. (2017) ‘Trauma from occlusion: The overstrain of the supporting structures of the teeth’, Indian Journal of Dental Sciences, p. 126. doi: 10.4103/ijds.ijds_21_16.
- Thamaraiselvan, M. et al. (2015) ‘Comparative clinical evaluation of coronally advanced flap with or without platelet rich fibrin membrane in the treatment of isolated gingival recession’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 19(1), pp. 66–71.
- Ustun, K. et al. (2008) ‘Severe gingival recession caused by traumatic occlusion and mucogingival stress: a case report’, European journal of dentistry, 2(2), pp. 127–133.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Varghese, S. S. et al. (2015) ‘Estimation of salivary tumor necrosis factor-alpha in chronic and aggressive periodontitis patients’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 6(Suppl 1), pp. S152–6.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 370
- PDF Download: 365