Document Type : Research Article
1 Undergraduate student, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University
2 Reader, Department of Public Health Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University
3 Senior Lecturer, Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University
Physicians and dental practitioners play an important role in smoking cessation since many patients attempt to quit smoking by frequent visits and following physician's advice . Although many dentists express a positive attitude to educate smoking cessation among patients, few relatively assist smokers to quit. It is important for the dentists to know about smoking cessation and its significance in changing behaviour of smokers.The aim of this study is to find out the knowledge, attitude and practice among interns regarding tobacco cessation and counselling techniques.This cross sectional study is done in form of an online survey comprising 15 questions regarding knowledge, attitude and practice regarding tobacco succession. The survey was distributed to 110 interns of private dental college only after their consent. Responses were recorded in Google forms with inclusion of one week scheduling. 90% of response rate was observed.Knowledge (63%), attitude (70%) ,practise (30%) among interns were observed. Overall knowledge and attitude among interns regarding tobacco cessation was found to be fair. Within the limitations of current study, knowledge attitude and practice regarding tobacco cessation was fair overall among interns of private dental college
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Albert, D. et al. (2002) ‘Addressing tobacco in managed care: a survey of dentists’ knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors’, American journal of public health, 92(6), pp. 997–1001.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Bhat, N. et al. (2014) ‘Attitudes, Practices and Perceived Barriers in Smoking Cessation among Dentists of Udaipur City, Rajasthan, India’, Addiction & health, 6(1-2), pp. 73–80.
- Chadzyński, R. et al. (2009) ‘[Exposure to passive smoking among current smokers and non-smokers]’, Pneumonologia i alergologia polska, 77(5), pp. 440–445.
- Clareboets, S., Sivarajasingam, V. and Chestnutt, I. G. (2010) ‘Smoking cessation advice: knowledge, attitude and practice among clinical dental students’, British dental journal, 208(4), pp. 173–177.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Desalu, O. O. et al. (2009) ‘Knowledge of and practices related to smoking cessation among physicians in Nigeria’, Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia, pp. 1198–1203. doi: 10.1590/s1806-37132009001200006.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Hanioka, T. et al. (2013) ‘Tobacco interventions by dentists and dental hygienists’, Japanese Dental Science Review, pp. 47–56. doi: 10.1016/j.jdsr.2012.11.005.
- Harini, G. and Leelavathi, L. (2019) ‘Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Smoking Cessation-An Overview’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 3588. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.04144.5.
- Ibrahim, J. K. (2003) ‘Tobacco Cessation in Primary Care: Beyond Just Quitting’, Clinical Medicine & Research, pp. 175–176. doi: 10.3121/cmr.1.3.175.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Kannan, S. S. D. et al. (2017) ‘AWARENESS AND ATTITUDE TOWARDS MASS DISASTER AND ITS MANAGEMENT AMONG HOUSE SURGEONS IN A DENTAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL IN CHENNAI, INDIA’, Disaster Management and Human Health Risk V. doi: 10.2495/dman170121.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Khatri, S. G. et al. (2019) ‘Retention of moisture-tolerant fluoride-releasing sealant and amorphous calcium phosphate-containing sealant in 6-9-year-old children: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 92–98.
- Kumar, R. P., Pradeep Kumar, R. and Preethi, R. (2017) ‘Assessment of Water Quality and Pollution of Porur, Chembarambakkam and Puzhal Lake’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2157. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00380.8.
- Kumar, R. P., Pradeep Kumar, R. and Vijayalakshmi, B. (2017) ‘Assessment of Fluoride Concentration in Ground Water in Madurai District, Tamil Nadu, India’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 309. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00063.4.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Li, K. W. K. et al. (2014) ‘Current practices, attitudes, and perceived barriers for treating smokers by Hong Kong dentists’, Hong Kong Medical Journal. doi: 10.12809/hkmj134027.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical Oral Investigations. doi: 10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Mohapatra, S. et al. (2019) ‘Assessment of Microhardness of Enamel Carious Like Lesions After Treatment with Nova Min, Bio Min and Remin Pro Containing Toothpastes: An in Vitro Study’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 375. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.02832.8.
- Monaghan, N. (2002) ‘What is the role of dentists in smoking cessation?’, British Dental Journal, pp. 611–612. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4801642.
- Muller, F. (2008) ‘Smoking and smoking cessation in Latin America: a review of the current situation and available treatments’, International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, pp. 285–293. doi: 10.2147/copd.s2654.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Neralla, M. et al. (2019) ‘Role of nutrition in rehabilitation of patients following surgery for oral squamous cell carcinoma’, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, pp. 3197–3203. doi: 10.26452/ijrps.v10i4.1622.
- Okuyemi, K. S., Reitzel, L. R. and Fagan, P. (2015) ‘Interventions to Reduce Tobacco-Related Health Disparities’, Nicotine & tobacco research: official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 17(8), pp. 887–891.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- Pavithra, R. P., Preethi Pavithra, R. and Jayashri, P. (2019) ‘Influence of Naturally Occurring Phytochemicals on Oral Health’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3979. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2019.00685.1.
- Poreddi, V. et al. (2015) ‘Smoking cessation support: Indian nursing students’ practices, attitudes and perceived barriers’, British Journal of Nursing, pp. 1120–1128. doi: 10.12968/bjon.2015.24.22.1120.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Srisakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Sakthi, D. S. (2018a) ‘Comparative Evaluation of the Viscosity and Length of Resin Tags of Conventional and Hydrophilic Pit and Fissure Sealants on Permanent Molars: An Study’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(3), pp. 388–394.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Sakthi, D. S. (2018b) ‘Comparing the Effectiveness of Probiotic, Green Tea, and Chlorhexidine- and Fluoride-containing Dentifrices on Oral Microbial Flora: A Double-blind, Randomized Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(4), pp. 560–569.
- Prabakar, J., John, J. and Srisakthi, D. (2016) ‘Prevalence of dental caries and treatment needs among school going children of Chandigarh’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 547. doi: 10.4103/0970-9290.195683.
- Prabhu, A. et al. (2017) ‘Smoking Cessation Advice: Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice among Clinical Dental Students’’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 9(Suppl 1), pp. S117–S120.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Pratha, A. A., Ashwatha Pratha, A. and Prabakar, J. (2019) ‘Comparing the effect of Carbonated and energy drinks on salivary pH- In Vivo Randomized Controlled Trial’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4699. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2019.00809.6.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sims, T. H. and Fiore, M. C. (2002) ‘Pharmacotherapy for Treating Tobacco Dependence’, CNS Drugs, pp. 653–662. doi: 10.2165/00023210-200216100-00001.
- Tremblay, M. (2006) Smoking Cessation Counselling: Results of a 2005 Survey of Québec Dentists.
- Twyman, L. et al. (2014) ‘Perceived barriers to smoking cessation in selected vulnerable groups: a systematic review of the qualitative and quantitative literature’, BMJ open, 4(12), p. e006414.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.