Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, 162, Poonamallee High Road, Chennai - 600077, Tamil Nadu, India
2 Associate Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, 162, Poonamallee High Road, Chennai - 600077, Tamil Nadu, India
3 Professor and Head, Department of Pedodontics and preventive dentistry, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University,162, Poonamallee High Road, Chennai - 600077, Tamil Nadu, India
Transalveolar extraction is a method employed when normal forceps extraction is not possible due to various difficulties which included tooth fracture during normal extractions. Though this technique is employed in clinical practice, it can lead to several complications after surgery. Hence, the objective of this study was to evaluate the incidence of transalveolar extractions of upper first molar. A retrospective study was conducted. Data collection was done through reviewing records of 86000 patients visiting a hospital in Chennai from June(2019) to March(2020). A total of 1453 patients who had undergone extraction of upper first molar were evaluated. Data such as age, gender, type of extraction and tooth number were evaluated. Both frequency and Chi-square tests were done through IBM SPSS statistical analysis. Prevalence of transalveolar extractions in the upper first molar was 1.5% in the study population. Among the individuals who had undergone transalveolar extraction, 59.09% were males and 40.91% were females. About 59.09% of the transalveolar extractions occurred in the age group of 20-40. Within the limits of this study, the incidence of transalveolar extraction was 1.5% of the upper first molar and more prevalent among the 20-40 age group.
- defense Incidence
- Surgical approach
- Tooth fracture
- Transalveolar extraction
- Upper first molar
- Innovative technique
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Abhinav, R. P. et al. (2019) ‘The Patterns and Etiology of Maxillofacial Trauma in South India’, Annals of maxillofacial surgery, 9(1), pp. 114–117.
- ADA Division of Communications, Journal of the American Dental Association and ADA Council on Scientific Affairs (2006) ‘For the dental patient. Tooth eruption: the permanent teeth’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 137(1), p. 127.
- Adwani, N. et al. (2012) ‘Incidence of dry socket following intraalveolar and transalveolar extraction: A comparative study’, Journal of Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences University, 7(4), pp. 228–233.
- Agerholm, D. M. and Sidi, A. D. (1988) ‘Reasons given for extraction of permanent teeth by general dental practitioners in England and Wales’, British dental journal, 164(11), pp. 345–348.
- Altuğ, H. A. et al. (2009) ‘Extraction of upper first molar resulting in fracture of maxillary tuberosity’, Dental traumatology: official publication of International Association for Dental Traumatology, 25(1), pp. e1–2.
- Aravinth, H. and Ganapathy, D. (2019) ‘Knowledge about post-extraction complications among dental students’, Drug Invention Today. Available at: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=09757619&AN=134815196&h=I80YBE4l%2B0NvTBz3emeI0zzPSrugaYc9VcfPbR1ByvFt3EpnGxIpuhZ15fGBm1maZW2zJUYQqmtZ6AoYi8Pngw%3D%3D&crl=c.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Awasthi, M. (2018) ‘Basic Principles of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery’, Manual for Dental Hygienist, pp. 284–284. doi: 10.5005/jp/books/14199_54.
- Baniwal, S. et al. (2007) ‘Prevalence of complications of simple tooth extractions and its comparison between a tertiary center and peripheral centers: a study conducted over 8,455 tooth extractions’, JNMA; journal of the Nepal Medical Association, 46(165), pp. 20–24.
- Barbato, P. R. and Peres, M. A. (2009) ‘Tooth loss and associated factors in adolescents: a Brazilian population-based oral health survey’, Revista de saude publica, 43(1), pp. 13–25.
- Bui, C. H., Seldin, E. B. and Dodson, T. B. (2003) ‘Types, frequencies, and risk factors for complications after third molar extraction’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 61(12), pp. 1379–1389.
- Burke, J. F. (1961) ‘The effective period of preventive antibiotic action in experimental incisions and dermal lesions’, Surgery, 50, pp. 161–168.
- Cahen, P. M., Frank, R. M. and Turlot, J. C. (1985) ‘A survey of the reasons for dental extractions in France’, Journal of dental research, 64(8), pp. 1087–1093.
- Christabel, A. et al. (2016) ‘Comparison of pterygomaxillary dysjunction with tuberosity separation in isolated Le Fort I osteotomies: a prospective, multi-centre, triple-blind, randomized controlled trial’, International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, pp. 180–185. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2015.07.021.
- Corbet, E. F. and Davies, W. I. (1991) ‘Reasons given for tooth extraction in Hong Kong’, Community dental health, 8(2), pp. 121–130.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- George, B. et al. (2011) ‘Prevalence of permanent tooth loss among children and adults in a suburban area of Chennai’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 22(2), p. 364.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Grossi, G. B. et al. (2007) ‘Assessing postoperative discomfort after third molar surgery: a prospective study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 65(5), pp. 901–917.
- Haddad, I. et al. (1999) ‘Reasons for extraction of permanent teeth in Jordan’, International dental journal, 49(6), pp. 343–346.
- Jafarian, M. and Etebarian, A. (2013) ‘Reasons for extraction of permanent teeth in general dental practices in Tehran, Iran’, Medical principles and practice: international journal of the Kuwait University, Health Science Centre, 22(3), pp. 239–244.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jesudasan, J. S., Wahab, P. U. A. and Sekhar, M. R. M. (2015) ‘Effectiveness of 0.2% chlorhexidine gel and a eugenol-based paste on postoperative alveolar osteitis in patients having third molars extracted: a randomised controlled clinical trial’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 53(9), pp. 826–830.
- Katoma, M., Siziya, S. and Sichilima, A. (2017) ‘The most frequently extracted teeth type: a retrospective cross-section study at Ndola teaching hospital, low cost dental clinic, Zambia’, Asian Pacific Journal of Health Sciences.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Kumar, S. (2017a) ‘Relationship between dental anxiety and pain experience during dental extractions’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 458. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2017.v10i3.16518.
- Kumar, S. (2017b) ‘The emerging role of botulinum toxin in the treatment of orofacial disorders Literature update’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 21. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2017.v10i9.16914.
- Kumar, S. and Rahman, R. (2017) ‘KNOWLEDGE, AWARENESS, AND PRACTICES REGARDING BIOMEDICAL WASTE MANAGEMENT AMONG UNDERGRADUATE DENTAL STUDENTS’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 341. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2017.v10i8.19101.
- Kumar, S. and Sneha, S. (2016) ‘Knowledge and awareness regarding antibiotic prophylaxis for infective endocarditis among undergraduate dental students’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, p. 154. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2016.v9s2.13405.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Marimuthu, M. et al. (2018) ‘Canonical Wnt pathway gene expression and their clinical correlation in oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(3), pp. 291–297.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Narasimman, C. (2018) Application of physics forceps for extraction of mutilated tooth to avoid transalveolar extraction method: A Prospective study. masters. Ragas Dental College and Hospital, Chennai. Available at: http://repository-tnmgrmu.ac.in/9911/ (Accessed: 13 June 2020).
- Natarajan, B., Balakrishnan, G. and Thangavelu, K. (2017) ‘Comparison of Efficacy of Amoxicillin versus Ciprofloxacin in Postsurgical Management of Transalveolar Extraction’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 9(Suppl 1), pp. S187–S190.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Ozmen, B. (2019) ‘Evaluation of Permanent First Molar Tooth Loss in Young Population from North Turkey’, Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine, pp. 20–23. doi: 10.2478/bjdm-2019-0004.
- Packiri, S., Gurunathan, D. and Selvarasu, K. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZE06–ZE09.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- Patturaja, K. and Pradeep, D. (2016) ‘Awareness of Basic Dental Procedure among General Population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1349. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00258.4.
- Polat, H. B., Ay, S. and Kara, M. I. (2007) ‘Maxillary tuberosity fracture associated with first molar extraction: a case report’, European journal of dentistry, 1(4), pp. 256–259.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rahman, R. and Mp, S. K. (2017) ‘Knowledge ,attitude and awareness of dental undergraduate students regarding human immunodeficiency virus / acquired immunodeficiency syndrome patients’, Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 10(5), pp. 175–180.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rao, T. D. and Santhosh Kumar, M. P. (2018) ‘Analgesic Efficacy of Paracetamol Vs Ketorolac after Dental Extractions’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3375. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00621.2.
- Saber, A. M. et al. (2018) ‘Consequences of early extraction of compromised first permanent molar: a systematic review’, BMC oral health, 18(1), p. 59.
- Saheeb, B. D. and Sede, M. A. (2013) ‘Reasons and pattern of tooth mortality in a Nigerian Urban teaching hospital’, Annals of African medicine, 12(2), pp. 110–114.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Shah, A., Faldu, M. and Chowdhury, S. (2019) ‘Reasons for extractions of permanent teeth in western India: A prospective study’, International Journal of Applied Dental Sciences, 5(1), pp. 180–184.
- Sweta, V. R., Abhinav, R. P. and Ramesh, A. (2019) ‘Role of Virtual Reality in Pain Perception of Patients Following the Administration of Local Anesthesia’, Annals of maxillofacial surgery, 9(1), pp. 110–113.
- Udoye, C. I. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and Reasons for Extraction of Endodontically Treated Teeth in Adult Nigerians’, The journal of contemporary dental practice, 19(12), pp. 1469–1473.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Venkateshwar, G. P. et al. (2011) ‘Complications of exodontia: a retrospective study’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 22(5), pp. 633–638.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vijayakumar Jain, S. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of Three-Dimensional Changes in Pharyngeal Airway Following Isolated Lefort One Osteotomy for the Correction of Vertical Maxillary Excess: A Prospective Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 18(1), pp. 139–146.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.