Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai-77, India
2 Senior lecturer, Department of Public Health Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai-77, India
3 Associate Professor, Department of Oral Surgery, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai-77, India
Effective and efficient oral hygiene practices are essential tools for achieving good oral health. Even though the value of good oral hygiene practices has increased over the years, many studies state that poor oral hygiene levels is still highly prevalent. Preventive strategies, both at individual and population level will help to reduce the negative impact of oral hygiene on oral and general health. The aim of this study is to evaluate the association between age and oral hygiene among outpatients who reported to a private dental college and hospital. It is a university setting study. About 7987 adult patients who reported to the dental college were included in the study. The data of the oral hygiene index simplified (OHIS) of these patients were collected from patient records. The data was entered in excel and imported to SPSS software for statistical analysis. Descriptive statistics and Chi-square test was used for analyzing the data. From the results, it was observed that as age increased OHIS score also increased. OHIS score of good was prevalent in 38.2% of the study population, fair OHIS score in 56.4% and poor OHIS score in 5.4% of the outpatients. Fair OHIS(56.4%) score was the most prevalent among the study population. Age wise comparison of OHIS score revealed that fair and poor OHIS scores was most prevalent among outpatients above 55 years old and this was found to be statistically significant. This study concludes that poor OHIS scores was more prevalent among study participants above 55 years when compared to other age groups.
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Ainamo, J. and Parviainen, K. (1979) ‘Occurrence of plaque, gingivitis and caries as related to self reported frequency of toothbrushing in fluoride areas in Finland’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 7(3), pp. 142–146.
- Akpata, E. S. (2004) ‘Oral health in Nigeria’, International Dental Journal, pp. 361–366. doi: 10.1111/j.1875-595x.2004.tb00012.x.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Bashirian, S. et al. (2018) ‘Socio-demographic determinants as predictors of oral hygiene status and gingivitis in schoolchildren aged 7-12 years old: A cross-sectional study’, PLOS ONE, p. e0208886. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0208886.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Davies, R. M., Davies, G. M. and Ellwood, R. P. (2003) ‘Prevention. Part 4: Toothbrushing: what advice should be given to patients?’, British dental journal, 195(3), pp. 135–141.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Ganesh, A. et al. (2019) ‘Oral health awareness and oral hygiene status of 12- and 15-year-old children in Chennai’, Journal of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry, p. 206. doi: 10.4103/jiaphd.jiaphd_214_18.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Harini, G. and Leelavathi, L. (2019) ‘Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Smoking Cessation-An Overview’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 3588. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.04144.5.
- Heilmann, A., Tsakos, G. and Watt, R. G. (2015) ‘Oral Health Over the Life Course’, A Life Course Perspective on Health Trajectories and Transitions, pp. 39–59. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-20484-0_3.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jin, L. J. et al. (2016) ‘Global burden of oral diseases: emerging concepts, management and interplay with systemic health’, Oral Diseases, pp. 609–619. doi: 10.1111/odi.12428.
- Jürgensen, N. and Petersen, P. E. (2009) ‘Oral health and the impact of socio-behavioural factors in a cross sectional survey of 12-year old school children in Laos’, BMC Oral Health. doi: 10.1186/1472-6831-9-29.
- Kadam, N. S. et al. (2014) ‘Oral Hygiene Status, Periodontal Status, and Periodontal Treatment Needs among Institutionalized Intellectually Disabled Subjects in Kolhapur District, Maharashtra, India’, Journal of Oral Diseases, pp. 1–11. doi: 10.1155/2014/535316.
- Kannan, S. S. D. et al. (2017) ‘AWARENESS AND ATTITUDE TOWARDS MASS DISASTER AND ITS MANAGEMENT AMONG HOUSE SURGEONS IN A DENTAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL IN CHENNAI, INDIA’, Disaster Management and Human Health Risk V. doi: 10.2495/dman170121.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Khatri, S. G. et al. (2019) ‘Retention of moisture-tolerant fluoride-releasing sealant and amorphous calcium phosphate-containing sealant in 6-9-year-old children: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 92–98.
- Kumar, P. and John, J. (2011) ‘Assessment of periodontal status among dental fluorosis subjects using community periodontal index of treatment needs’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 248. doi: 10.4103/0970-9290.84297.
- Kumar, R. P., Pradeep Kumar, R. and Preethi, R. (2017) ‘Assessment of Water Quality and Pollution of Porur, Chembarambakkam and Puzhal Lake’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2157. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00380.8.
- Kumar, R. P., Pradeep Kumar, R. and Vijayalakshmi, B. (2017) ‘Assessment of Fluoride Concentration in Ground Water in Madurai District, Tamil Nadu, India’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 309. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00063.4.
- Leelavathi, L. et al. (2016) ‘Avulsed Tooth – A Review’, Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, pp. 847–850. doi: 10.13005/bpj/1015.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- L, L. et al. (2015) ‘Nutrition and Oral Health - (Review)’, Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, pp. 545–548. doi: 10.13005/bpj/744.
- Lolita, Y. M. et al. (2015) ‘Oral Health Status of the Elderly at Tonga, West Region, Cameroon’, International Journal of Dentistry, pp. 1–9. doi: 10.1155/2015/820416.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical Oral Investigations. doi: 10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mbawalla, H. S., Masalu, J. R. and Åstrøm, A. N. (2010) ‘Socio-demographic and behavioural correlates of oral hygiene status and oral health related quality of life, the Limpopo - Arusha school health project (LASH): A cross-sectional study’, BMC Pediatrics. doi: 10.1186/1471-2431-10-87.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Neralla, M. et al. (2019) ‘Role of nutrition in rehabilitation of patients following surgery for oral squamous cell carcinoma’, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, pp. 3197–3203. doi: 10.26452/ijrps.v10i4.1622.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- Patturaja, K., Leelavathi, L. and Jayalakshmi, S. (2018) ‘Choice of Rotary Instrument Usage among Endodontists – A Questionnaire Study’, Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, pp. 851–856. doi: 10.13005/bpj/1441.
- Pavithra, R. P., Preethi Pavithra, R. and Jayashri, P. (2019) ‘Influence of Naturally Occurring Phytochemicals on Oral Health’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3979. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2019.00685.1.
- Petersen, P. E. (2004) ‘Challenges to improvement of oral health in the 21st century - the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme’, International Dental Journal, pp. 329–343. doi: 10.1111/j.1875-595x.2004.tb00009.x.
- Petersen, P. E. et al. (2005) ‘The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health’, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 83(9), pp. 661–669.
- Petersen, P. E. (2009) ‘Global policy for improvement of oral health in the 21st century - implications to oral health research of World Health Assembly 2007, World Health Organization’, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, pp. 1–8. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2008.00448.x.
- Petersen, P. E. and Kwan, S. (2004) ‘Evaluation of community-based oral health promotion and oral disease prevention--WHO recommendations for improved evidence in public health practice’, Community dental health, 21(4 Suppl), pp. 319–329.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I., Kumar, R. and Srisakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of retention, cariostatic effect and discoloration of conventional and hydrophilic sealants - A single blinded randomized split mouth clinical trial’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 233. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_132_18.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I., Kumar, R. and Sakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparing the effectiveness of probiotic, green tea, and chlorhexidine- and fluoride-containing dentifrices on oral microbial flora: A double-blind, randomized clinical trial’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 560. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_659_18.
- Prabakar, J., John, J. and Srisakthi, D. (2016) ‘Prevalence of dental caries and treatment needs among school going children of Chandigarh’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 27(5), pp. 547–552.
- Prabhakar, A. R., Murthy, S. and Sugandhan, S. (2011) ‘Comparative evaluation of the length of resin tags, viscosity and microleakage of pit and fissure sealants - an in vitro scanning electron microscope study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 324. doi: 10.4103/0976-237x.91797.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Pratha, A. A., Ashwatha Pratha, A. and Prabakar, J. (2019) ‘Comparing the effect of Carbonated and energy drinks on salivary pH- In Vivo Randomized Controlled Trial’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4699. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2019.00809.6.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Saied-Moallemi, Z. et al. (2009) ‘School-based intervention to promote preadolescents’ gingival health: a community trial’, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, pp. 518–526. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00491.x.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions–based Prevention of Early‐Childhood Caries among 3–5‐year‐old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two‐year randomized trial’, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, pp. 51–60. doi: 10.1111/jphd.12348.
- Seth, N. et al. (2016) ‘Caries prevalence and oral hygiene status among 7-12 years old school children from rural and urban areas of Gautam Budh Nagar, U.P’, Journal of Advanced Oral Research, pp. 35–40. doi: 10.1177/2229411220160107.
- Solanki, J. (2014) ‘Dental Caries and Periodontal Status of Mentally Handicapped Institutilized Children’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2014/8983.4557.
- Srudhy, L. and Anitha, M. (2015) ‘Medicolegal Case Scenerios in Dental Practice - A Review of Literature’, Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, pp. 537–541. doi: 10.13005/bpj/742.
- Suomi, J. D. and Doyle, J. (1972) ‘Oral Hygiene and Periodontal Disease in an Adult Population in the United States’, Journal of Periodontology, pp. 677–681. doi: 10.1902/jop.1918.104.22.1687.
- ‘The Work of the World Health Organization in 1971, Annual Report of the Director-General 4071 Geneva World Health Organization 1972 £1.50’ (1973) Public Health, p. 94. doi: 10.1016/s0033-3506(73)80126-x.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Website (no date). Available at: Samuel SR, Acharya S, Rao JC. School Interventions–based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3–5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial [Internet]. Vol. 80, Journal of Public Health Dentistry. 2020. p. 51–60. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jphd.12348 (Accessed: 22 June 2020).