Factors Affecting The Decisions Of Local People To Participate In Community Tourism In The NorthWest of Vietnam
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 226-232
AbstractThis paper aims to find out factors affecting decision making to join in community tourism via qualitative (analysis, synthesis) and quantitative methods. The Northwest of Vietnam is regarded as a region with sufficient and favorable conditions to develop community tourism. Accordingly, determining what factors affect the decisions of local people to participate in community tourism is of great significance in developing tourism and raising the competitiveness of tourism destinations in this region. On the basis of the collected primary and secondary data, the research paper has identified 4 factors affecting the decisions of local people to participate in community tourism, including: (1) Personal factors, (2) Attractiveness and images of tourism destinations in the Northwest, (3) Supports and investments from the State, local authorities, organization and enterprises in the Northwest, (4) Effects from people around; then proposed solutions to attract local people to participate in community tourism and develop this form of tourism sustainably in the Northwest of Vietnam in the coming time. For instance, we need to exploit the beauty of natural scenes of Nowthwestern mountains, forest and lakes with local attributes to reform a better community tourism in this region.
- Aref, F. and Redzuan, M. B. (2008), “Barriers to Community Participation toward Tourism Development in Shiraz, Iran, Pakistan”, Journal of Social Sciences, 5(9).
- Bandit Santikul (2009), “Community Based Tourism Development at the East Coast of Phuket Island”, thesis, Faculty of Hospitaity and Tourism Management Prince of Songkla University.
- Bollen, K.A. (1998), Structural Equations with latent variables, New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Bramwell and Sharman (2000), “Approaches to sustainable tourism planning and community participation: The case of the Hope Valley.
- Briedenhann and Wickens (2004), “Tourism routes as a tools for the economic development of rural areas-vibrant hope or impossible dream?” Tourism Manage- ment, 25, 71-79.
Brodman, J. (1996), “New Direction in Tourism for Third World Development”, Annal of Tourism Research, 23 (1)
- Jamal, T.B & Getz, D. (1995), “Collaboration Theory and Community Tourism Planning”, Annals of Tourism Research.
- Trần Thị Bích Hằng (2015), “Developing Tourism to Reduce Poverty in 8 extended-Northwestern provinces in Vietnam”, Trade Science Review, Vol. 86-87.
- Kalsom. K, (2009), “Community Based Tourism in Developing countries”, Proceeding of International Seminar on Community Based Tourism.
- Kan Set Aung (2009), “Community Based Tourism Development in Myanmar Heritage Site: A Case Study of Bagan”, thesis, Faculty of Hospitaity and Tourism Management Prince of Songkla University.
- Kang Santran (2008), “Community participation for sustainable tourism in heritage site: the case of Angkor, Siem Reap Province, Cambodia”, thesis, Faculty of Hospitaity and Tourism Management Prince of Songkla University.
- Lee, T. H., (2013), “Influence analysis of community resident support for sustainable tourism development”, Tourism Management. 34, pp. 37-46.
- Lise, W., 2000, “Factors Influencing People’s Participation in Forest Management in India”, Ecological Economics, 34, pp. 379-392.
- Liu. A, (2006), “Tourism in rural areas: Kedah, Malaysia”, Tourism Management, Volume 27, Issue 5, pp. 878-889.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, Vietnam National Administration for Tourism, “Statistics” in 2017, 2018, 2019.
- Hoàng Thị Lan (2019), “Community Tourism in Lâm Bình, Tuyên Quang – Situation and Development Solutions”, International Conference Proceedings: Tourism in Lâm Bình - Tuyên Quang: Potential, Situation and Solutions.
- Ngô Thị Liên (2018), “Assessing community participation in ecotourism development at Bidoup Nui Ba National Park”, Văn Hiến University Journal of Science, volume 6(2).
- Phạm Hồng Long (2012), “Local Residents’ Perceptions of Tourism Impacts and Their Support for Tourism Development: the Case of Ha Long Bay, Quang Ninh, Viet Nam” (PhD Dissertation, University of Rikkyo, Japan).
- Phạm Trung Lương (2010), “Teaching Material on Community Tourism”, Institute for Tourism Development Research, Vietnam National Administration for Tourism.
- Bùi Xuân Nhàn, Nguyễn Thị Quỳnh Hương (2019), “Determination of Condition Factors with Assessing Indicators in Community Tourism Development of Lam Binh, Tuyen Quang”, International Conference Proceedings: Tourism in Lâm Bình - Tuyên Quang: Potential, Situation and Solutions.
- Hoàng Trọng and Chu Mộng Ngọc (2008), “Data Analysis with SPSS”, Statistics Publishing House.
- Dương Thị Minh Phương (2015). Barriers to community engagement in community based ecotourism framework – A case study of Talai Commune, Nam Cat Tien National Park Viet Nam. The International Conference on Finance and Economics. Ton Duc Thang University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, June 4th - 6th, 2015.
- Reed, M. (1997), “Power Relations and Community-based Tourism Planning”, Annals of Tourism Research. 24(3).
- Simmons, D. G. (1994), “Community Participation in Tourism Planning”, Tourism Management, 15(2).
- Sue Beeton (2006), “Community Development through Tourism”, Landlinks
- Thakadu (2005), “Success Factors in Community Based Natural Resources Management in Northern Botswana: Lessons from Practice”.
- Tosun, C. and Timothy, D. J. (2003), Arguments for Community Participation in the Tourism Development Process, Journal of Tourism Studies, 14(2), 2–15.
- Tosun, C. (2006), “Expected Nature of Community Participation in Tourism Development”, Tourism Management, 27(3), 493–504.
- Tran Thi Bich Hang, Duong Thi Hong Nhung, Do Hong Nhung, Dinh Tran Ngoc Huy, Nguyen Manh Hung, & Pham Minh Dat. (2020). "Where Beta is going – case of Viet Nam hotel, airlines and tourism company groups after the low inflation period," Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Center, 7(3), 2282-2298.
- Zhang, Y. (2010), “Personal Factors that Influence Residents Preferences about Community Involvement in Tourism Planning”, Master of Physical Education and Recreation thesis, Indiana University, India.
- Article View: 391
- PDF Download: 338