Forecast of factors affecting the fair value accounting in Vietnamese listed companies
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 102-116
AbstractThis study aims to assess the adoption of fair value accounting in Vietnam, and to forecast factors affecting the fair value (FV) application in Vietnamese listed companies. So, we used multivariate regression analysis to assess the impact of each factor on the application of fair value accounting in Vietnam, by implementing a survey of 203 accountants and directors of Vietnamese listed companies in the period from 2017 to 2019. The research results show that: for both small and medium sized enterprises and large enterprises, human resource factors have the strongest positive impact on FV application, followed by benefit factor. The factors of difficulties negatively affect this application. And, the active market factors have contradictory impacts between these two groups of enterprises. Our findings provide the significant perspectives of applying FV in Vietnamese companies, as well as different recommendations to Vietnamese policy makers in developing the legal accounting framework.
JEL classification: M41, Q56
- Affes, H. & Callimaci, A. (2007). Les déterminants de l'adoption anticipée des normes comptables internationales : choix financier ou opportunisme ?. Comptabilité - Contrôle - Audit, 13,(2), 149-166. Retrieved from doi:10.3917/cca.132.0149.
- Barlev, B., Haddad and J.R. (2003). FVA and the management of the firm. Critical Perspectives on Accounting. 14(4), 383–415. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/S1045-2354(02)00139-9
- Barth, M. E., & Clinch, G. (1998). Revalued Financial, Tangible, and Intangible Assets: Associations with Share Prices and Non-Market-Based Value Estimates. Journal of Accounting Research. 36, 199-233. DOI: 10.2307/2491314. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/2491314
- Barth, M. E., & Landsman, W. R. (2018). Using Fair Value Earnings to Assess Firm Value. Accounting Horizons. 32(4), 49-58. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.2308/acch-52156
- Benjamin, S. J., Niskkalan, A., & Marathamuthu, M.S. (2012). FVA and the Blobal Financial Crisis: The Malaysian Experience. JAMAR, 10(1), 53-58. Retrieved from https://cmawebline.org/images/stories/JAMAR_2012_Winter/JAMARv10.1-Fair_Value__GFC.pdf
- Bewley, K., Graham, C. and Peng, S. (2018). The winding road to FVA in China: a social movement analysis. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 31(4), 1257-1285. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1108/AAAJ-06-2015-2089
- Christensen, H.B., & Nikolaev, V.V. (2013). Does FVA for non-financial assets pass the market test?. Review of Accounting Studies, 18, 734–775. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1007/s11142-013-9232-0
- Ghosh, C., Liang, M. & Petrova, M. (2020). The Effect of Fair Value Method Adoption: Evidence from Real Estate Firms in the EU. The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 60, 205-237. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1007/s11146-019-09721-z
- Haswell, S., & Evans, E. (2018). Enron, fair value accounting, and financial crises: a concise history. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 31(1), 25-50. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1108/AAAJ-04-2016-2525
- Hsu, A. W., Wu, G. S. H. (2019). The fair value of investment property and stock price crash risk. Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting & Economics, 26, 38-63. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1080/16081625.2019.1545895
- Jung, B., Pourjalali, H., Wen, E.., & Daniel, S.J. (2013). The association between firm characteristics and CFO's opinions on the fair value option for non-financial assets. Advances in Accounting, incorporating Advances in International Accounting, 29, 255–266. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adiac.2013.03.002
- Masoud, N. & Daas, A. (2014). Fair-Value Accounting’s Role in the Global Financial Crisis? Lessons for the Future. International Journal of Marketing Studies, 6, 161- 171. Retrieved from doi:10.5539/ijms.v6n5p161
- Pompili, M., & Tutino, M. (2019). Fair value accounting and earning management: The impact of unobservable inputs on earning quality. Evidence from the US. Corporate Ownership and Control, 16(2), 8-18.
- Rajni, D., Joycelyn, D., Rashika, K., & Charlotte, T.(2012). Accoutant and user perceptions of FVA: Evidence from Fiji, Global journal of Business research, 6(3), 93-102. Retrieved from https://ssrn.com/abstract=1957299
- Sangchan, P., Habib, A., Jiang, H., Bhuiyan, M. B. U. (2020). Fair Value Exposure, Changes in Fair Value and Audit Fees: Evidence from the Australian Real Estate Industry. Australian Accounting Review. 32. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1111/auar.12299
- Songlan, P., Cameron, G., & Kathryn, B. (2013). Fair Value Accounting Reforms Reforms in China: Towards an Accounting Movement Theory. SSRN. Retrieved from http://ssrn.com/abstract=2229475.
- Sundgren, S., Mäki, J., & Somoza-López, A. (2018). Analyst Coverage, Market Liquidity and Disclosure Quality: A Study of Fair-value Disclosures by European Real Estate Companies Under IAS 40 and IFRS 13. The International Journal of Accounting, 53(1), 54-75. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intacc.2018.02.003
- Ting, Y. S., & Soo, C. M. (2005). FVA – Relevance, Reliabilityand Progress in Malaysia, University College Sedaya International. Retrieved from http://www.alanyoonassociates.com/news/fairValueAccounting.pdf
- Tutino, M., & Pompili, M. (2018). FVA and management opportunism on earnings management in banking sector: First evidence. Corporate Ownership & Control, 15(2). 59-69. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marco_Tutino/publication/322728243_Fair_value_accounting_and_management_opportunism_on_earnings_management_in_banking_sector_First_evidence/links/5a814ff10f7e9be137c92ca1/Fair-value-accounting-and-management-opportunism-on-earnings-management-in-banking-sector-First-evidence.pdf.
- Yao, D. T., Percy, M., Stewart, J., & Hu, F. (2018). Fair Value Accounting and Earnings Persistence: Evidence from International Banks. Journal of International Accounting Research, 17(1), 47-68. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.2308/jiar-51983.
- Article View: 369
- PDF Download: 379