The Performance of Modern PLS and Conventional SEM for Second Order Construct of Family Communication Pattern Model
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 32-41
AbstractThis paper is aims to determine the performance of modern Partial Least Square (PLS) and Conventional SEM in family research. As such, the adoption of Measurement of Family Communication became the subject for testing their effectiveness. Measurement of Family Communication Pattern is broadly used to assess the happiness of the family either happy or unhappy and it was frequently noted as one of the confirmatory research. It shows that the conventional SEM was better than modern PLS in the presence of the second-order construct.
- Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., Salleh, F., Ghazali, P., & Rashid, N. (2018). The effect of product quality, medical price and staff skills on patient loyalty via cultural impact in medical tourism. Management Science Letters, 8(12), 1421-1424.
- Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., Rashid, N., Foziah, H., & Ghazali, P. (2019). Assessing the effects of service quality on customer satisfaction. Management Science Letters, 9(1), 13-24.
- Aimran, A. N., Ahmad, S., Afthanorhan, A., & Awang, Z. (2017a). The development of comparative bias index. In AIP Conference Proceedings (Vol. 1870, No. 1, p. 060008). AIP Publishing.
- AL-Mhasnah, A., Salleh, F., Afthanorhan, A., & Ghazali, P. (2018). The relationship between services quality and customer satisfaction among Jordanian healthcare sector. Management Science Letters, 8(12), 1413-1420.
- Asnawi, A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Mohamad, M., & Karim, F. (2019). The influence of hospital image and service quality on patients’ satisfaction and loyalty. Management Science Letters, 9(6), 911-920.
- Antonakis, J., Bendahan, S., Jacquart, P., & Lalive, R. (2010). On making causal claims: A review and recommendations. The Leadership Quarterly,21(6), 1086-1120.
- Aziz, M., Adnan, A., Afthanorhan, A., Foziah, H., Ishak, S., & Rashid, N. (2019). The influence of employer value proposition in talent demand towards talent shortage in the Malaysian Islamic banking institutions: A SEM approach. Management Science Letters, 9(6), 843-850.
- Allison, B.A. (2000). Parent-adolesent conflict in early adolescence: Research and implication for middle school programs. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences Education, 18 (2).
- Alpa Arora, B. (2008). Family dynamics & communication patterns in India-American families: Perspectives of second-generation young adults. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Alliant International University. Available from: Disertation & Theses: Full Text (Publication No. ADT 3331906). Access at November 6, 2010.
- Ballard-Reisch, D. S., & Weigal, D.J. (2006). Established and promising models for family communication research. Reno: University of Nevada.
- Baxter, L.A., Bylund, C.L., Imes, R.S., & Scheive, D. M. (2005). Family communication environments and rule-based social control of adolescents’ healthy lifestyle choices. Journal of Family Communication, 5(3), 209-227.
- Braithwaite, D. O., McBride, M. C., & Schrodt, P. (2003). “Parent teams” and the everyday interactions of co-parenting in stepfamilies. Communication Reports. 16(2): 93-111.
- Bentler, P. M. (1990). Comparative fit indexes in structural models. Psychological bulletin, 107(2), 238.
- Bentler, P. M., & Bonett, D. G. (1980). Significance tests and goodness of fit in the analysis of covariance structures. Psychological bulletin, 88(3), 588.
- Bentler, P. M., & Huang, W. (2014). On components, latent variables, PLS and simple methods: Reactions to Rigdon's rethinking of PLS. Long range planning, 47(3), 138-145.
- Bollen, K. A. (1986). Sample size and Bentler and Bonett's onnormed fit index. Psychometrika, 51(3), 375-377.
- Bollen, K. A. (1989). A new incremental fit index for general structural equation models. Sociological Methods & Research, 17(3), 303-316.
- Browne, M. W., & Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit. Sage focus editions, 154, 136-136.
- Byrne, B. M. (1989). Multigroup comparisons and the assumption of equivalent construct validity across groups: Methodological and substantive issues. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 24(4), 503-523.
- Carmines, E. G., & McIver, J. P. (1981). Analyzing models with unobserved variables: Analysis of covariance structures. Social measurement: Current issues, 65-115.
- Cronbach, L.J. (1990). Essentials of psychological testing (5th ed.). New York: Harper & Row.
- Dumlao, R., & Botta, R.A. (2000). Family communication patterns and the conflict styles young adults use with their fathers. Communication Quarterly, 48, 174-189.
- Dijkstra, T. K., & Henseler, J. (2015a). Consistent and asymptotically normal PLS estimators for linear structural equations. Computational statistics & data analysis, 81, 10-23.
- Dijkstra, T. K., & Henseler, J. (2015b). Consistent partial least squares path modeling. MIS quarterly= Management information systems quarterly, 39(2), 297-316.
- Evermann, J., & Tate, M. (2016). Assessing the predictive performance of structural equation model estimators (Forthcoming).
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics. Journal of marketing research, 382-388.
- Fitzpatrick, M. A., & Ritchie, L. D. (1994). Communication Schemata within the family; multiple perspectives on family interaction. Human Communication Research. 20: 275-301.
- Gefen, D., Straub, D. W., & Rigdon, E. E. (2011). An update and extension to SEM guidelines for admnistrative and social science research. Management Information Systems Quarterly, 35(2), iii-xiv.
- Hair Jr, J. F., Gabriel, M. L. D. D. S., & Patel, V. K. (2014). Amos Covariance-Based Structural Equation Modeling (Cb-Sem): Guidelines on its Application as a Marketing Research Tool.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., & Tatham, R. L. (2009). Análise multivariada de dados. Bookman Editora.
- Henseler, J., Hubona, G., & Ray, P. A. (2016). Using PLS path modeling in new technology research: updated guidelines. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 116(1), 2-20.
- Hayes. (2000). Doing psychology research. Philedelphia: Open University Press.
- Hoyle, R. H. (Ed.). (1995). Structural equation modeling: Concepts, issues, and applications. Sage Publications.
- Hwang, H., Malhotra, N. K., Kim, Y., Tomiuk, M. A., & Hong, S. (2010). A comparative study on parameter recovery of three approaches to structural equation modeling. Journal of Marketing Research, 47(4), 699-712.
- Hwang, H., Takane, Y., & Tenenhaus, A. (2015). An Alternative Estimation Procedure for Partial Least Squares Path Modeling. Behaviormetrika, 42(1), 63-78.
- Jusang Bolong. (2006). Virtual community and social cohesion relationship through computer-mediated interpersonal communication. Ph.D thesis unpublished, Serdang: University of Putra Malaysia.
- Kelley, L., Keaten, J.A., Finch, C., Duarte, I. B., Hoffman, P., & Michels, M.M.(2002). Family communication patterns and the development of reticence. Communication Education, 51(2), 202-209.
- Koerner, A. F., & Fitzpatrick, M.A. (2004). Communication in intact families. In A Vangelisti (Ed,), Handbook of family communication (pp. 177-196). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Koestan, J. (2004). Family communication patterns, sex of object, and communication competence. Communication Monographs, 71, 226-244.
- Marsh, H. W. (1987). Students' evaluations of university teaching: Research findings, methodological issues, and directions for future research. International journal of educational research, 11(3), 253-388.
- McDonald, R. P. (1996). Path analysis with composite variables. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 31(2), 239-270.
- Marsh, H. W., & Hocevar, D. (1985). Application of confirmatory factor analysis to the study of self-concept: First-and higher order factor models and their invariance across groups. Psychological bulletin, 97(3), 562.
- Mateos-Aparicio, G. (2011). Partial least squares (PLS) methods: Origins, evolution, and application to social sciences. Communications in Statistics-Theory and Methods, 40(13), 2305-2317.
- McDonald, R. P., & Ho, M. H. R. (2002). Principles and practice in reporting structural equation analyses. Psychological methods, 7(1), 64.
- McIntosh, C. N., Edwards, J. R., & Antonakis, J. (2014). Reflections on partial least squares path modeling. Organizational Research Methods, 1094428114529165.
- Narimah Ismail, Siti Zobidah Omar, Jusang Bolong, Musa Abu Hassan, Saodah Wok, Haniff Hassan & Aziyah Abu Bakar. (2008). Family communication practices among farmers. Papers presented at the seminar, Communication and Computer Use in the Family Farmers, in Malaysia. Serdang, University of Putra Malaysia, November 27.
- Nunally, J. C., & Bernstein, I. H. (1994). Psychonometric theory. New York.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1985). A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research. Journal of Marketing, 41-50.
- Rindskopf, D. (1984). Using phantom and imaginary latent variables to parameterize constraints in linear structural models. Psychometrika, 49(1), 37-47.
- Rönkkö, M., & Evermann, J. (2013). A critical examination of common beliefs about partial least squares path modeling. Organizational Research Methods, 1094428112474693.
- Siu Man, H.A. (2002). Interpersonal competence, family functioning, and parent-adolescent conflicts. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Available from: Dissertation & Theses: Full Text (Publication No. ADT 3331906). Access at November 6, 2010.
- Trubisky, P., Ting-Toomey, S., & Lin, S.L. (1991). The influence of individualism-collectivism and self-monitoring on conflict styles. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 15, 65-84.
- Wilson, S.R., & Morgan, W.M. (2004). Persuasion and families. In A. Vangelisti (Ed.), Handbook of family communication (p:447). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Wood, J.T.(2004). Interpersonal communication: Everyday encounters. Belmont, CA:Thomson Wadsworth.
- Wheaton, B., Muthen, B., Alwin, D. F., & Summers, G. F. (1977). Assessing reliability and stability in panel models. Sociological methodology, 8(1), 84-136.
- Wold, H. (1973). Nonlinear iterative partial least squares (NIPLAS) modelling: Some current developments. Univ., Department of Statistics.
- Wold, H. (1982). Soft modelling: the basic design and some extensions. Systems under indirect observation, Part II, 36-37.
- Zaidatul Tasir & Mohd Salleh Abu. (2003). Analisis data berkomputer SPSS 11.5 for windows. Kuala Lumpur: Venton Publishing (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Zhang, Q. (2007). Family communication patterns and conflict style in Chinese parent-child relationships. Communication Quarterly, 55, 113-128.
- Zhang, Y.B., Harwood, J., & Hummert, M.L. (2005). Perceptions of conflict management styles in Chinese intergenerational dyads. Communication Monographs, 72, 71-91.
- Zainol, R, N., Zainol., A., F., Ibrahim, Y., Afthanorhan, A. (2019). Scaling up social innovation for sustainability: The roles of social enterprise capabilities. Management Sciences Letters, 9(3), 1-10.
- Article View: 417
- PDF Download: 344