Constraints and Prospects of Small Scale Industries in Punjab: An Analytical Study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 2752-2758
AbstractSmall scale industries are well recognised for its contribution to innovation, employment and economic dynamism. Small firms have been the chief source of creating new jobs in almost all the developed countries. It has been seen that number of existing industries in Punjab has been dominated by small scale firms. Despite the recognition of significant role played by small scale industries in economy, some critical barriers prevent them from developing and contributing sufficiently. The present paper attempts to find out the major constraints faced by small scale industries selected from five sub sectors i.e. Machinery Parts, Hand tool, Spare Parts, Auto Parts and Pipe fitting industries in Jalandhar district. Data was collected through primary sources by framing a well structured questionnaire. Factor Analysis was applied on data to get the authentic results. The results revealed that the five major factors that affect the growth and development of small scale firms are Power Constraints, Approach up to Local Market, Absence of Effective Administrative Support, Lack of Basic Facilities and Financial Constraints.
- Adejumo, D.G. & Olaoye, J.A. (2012). Roles and Problems of Small Scale Business Development Programmes in Nigeria. IJMBS, 2(1), 76-83.
- Ahluwalia, I.S., Chaudhuri, S., & Sidhu, S. (2008). Punjab Industrial Review, United Nation Industrial Development Organisation. Retrieved from http://www.unido.org.
- Chakrabarty, K.C. (2006). SMEs Financing- Need for Paradigm Shift. Cab Calling, july-sept, 10-14.
- Deb, R. (1991). Small Scale Industries of Assam: Problems and Prospects. University of Dibrugarh, thesis, accessed from ICSSR library, Delhi.
- Field, A. (2000). Discovering Statistics Using SPSS for Windows, London, Sage Publication.
- Gaur, A., & Gaur, S. (2009). Statistical Methods for Practice and Research. New Delhi; India: Sage Publications.
- Gupta, S. (2009). Future Prospects of Small Scale Industrial Sector of Punjab: An Empirical Assessment. Communication of the IBIMA, 7, 102-110.
- Inigo, M. (1998). Bank Financing of SSIs in Tamilnaidu with special reference to Siva Ganga District. Alagappa University, Karaikudi. Retrieved from http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.
- Kumar, S. (2010). A Study on the Working of Small and Medium Enterprises- with special reference to Chennai and Tiruvallur district. Bharathidasan University. Retrieved from http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.
- Lingesiya, Y. (2012). Identifying Factors to Indicate the Business Performance of Small Scale Industries: Evidence from Sri Lanka. Global Journal of Management and Business research, 12( 21), 75-82.
- Pallet, J. (2002). SPSS Survival Manual, Australia, Allen and Unwin publication.
- Pandey, A.D. (2007). Routes of Survival of SSI in India and its Futurity-A Study of pre and post Reform Period. Retrieved from http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/965/1/routes-of-survival-of-SSI-in-india.doc.
- Quader, S.M., & Abdullah, M.N. (2009). Constraints to SMEs: A Rotated Factor Analysis Approach. A Research Journal of South Asian Studies, 24(2), 334-350.
- Ramanaiah, V. (2011). The Performance of SSIs in India. Retrieved from http://papers.ssrn.com/so13/data.
- Reddy, K. (2008). Problems and Prospects of SSIs in India. Man and Development. Retrieved from http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in.
- Sharma, R. (2012). Problems and Prospects of Small Scale Industrial Units: A Case Study of Exporting and non Exporting Units in Haryana. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Management Review, 1(2), 191-209
- Singaravelu. (1982). Financing of SSIs in Madras city. University of Poona, thesis, accessed from ICSSR library, Delhi.
- Shree Ram, B. & Selvaraj, M. (2012). Investigation on Barriers to the Incorporation of Information Communication Technologies in Small Scale Industries. Wseas Transactions on Information Science and Applications, 9(8), 241-250.
- Suresh, V., & Shashidhar, P. (2007). Competitiveness of Small Scale Industries of India. Retrieved from http://dspace.iimk.ac.in/bitstream/2259/501/1/439-453.
- The Tribune, (2014). 18770 Industrial Units Shut in 7 Years in Punjab, 4 Feb, pp-2
- Velsamy, S.S. (2012). The Problems and Prospects of Small Scale Industries in Pudukkotai district: A Critical Study. Bharathidasan University. Retrieved from http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.
- Article View: 145
- PDF Download: 213