Investigating the role of transformation leadership on Public sector employee’s job satisfaction during Covid-19: The mediating role of employee Empowerment
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 4, Pages 111-122
AbstractThe global economy is suffering as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Because of the health and psychosocial issues, both private and public sector organizations are impacted. Leaders and employees must be committed, engaged, and supportive during this crucial process. To ensure that the overall process runs smoothly, leaders should act and energize on the same page and same attitudes, i.e., transformational leadership styles. Hence, this study attempted to examine the effect of transformational leadership on employee satisfaction during Covid-19, along with the mediating role of employee empowerment between the transformational leadership and employee satisfaction of employees working in public sector organizations. The results of this study revealed the positive association between characteristics of transformational leadership such as coping with uncertainty and ambiguity, guidance and support, risk management, and supporting teamwork, with job satisfaction. Moreover, the mediating results of this study show that employee empowerment significantly mediates the relationship between coping with uncertainty and ambiguity, guidance and support, risk management, and job satisfaction. The current study validates that the characteristics of transformational leadership have a strong effect on job satisfaction among public sector employees. Therefore, the role of transformational leaders during increased healthcare and psychosocial challenges is highly influential. The limitations and future recommendations are also conveyed in this study.
Covid-19,Transformational Leadership, Employee empowerment, job satisfaction
- Abdullah, Z. and J. Hui (2014). "The relationship between communication satisfaction and teachers’ job satisfaction in the Malaysian primary school." Asian Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences (AJHSS) 2(2): 58-71.
- Abubakar, I. and S. Obansa (2020). "An Estimate of Average Cost of Hypertension and its catastrophic effect on the people living with hypertension: Patients’ perception from two Hospitals in Abuja, Nigeria." International Journal of Social Sciences and Economic Review: 10-19.
- Ahmad, M. J., et al. (2019). "Service Continuance Intention in the Health Insurance Setting: A Pls-Sem Approach." Pakistan Journal of Humanities & Social Sciences Research 02(01): 83-108.
- Ahmad, R., et al. (2020). "The Relationship within Green Marketing Strategies and Market Performance of Pakistan SME’s." HamdardIslamicus Vol. 43 (No. 3 ): 204-216.
- Ahmad, R., et al. (2019). "Moderating effect of board characteristics in the relationship of structural capital and business performance: An evidence on Pakistan textile sector." Journal of Studies in Social Sciences and Humanities 5(3): 89-99.
- AHMED, R., et al. (2021). "The Relationship among Overconfidence, Economic Expectation, Social Factors and Investment Decision Making Behavior with the Mediating and Moderating Effects." Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government| Vol 27(2): 1076.
- Alkhateri, A. S., et al. (2018). "The Impact of perceived supervisor support on employees turnover intention: The Mediating role of job satisfaction and affective organizational commitment." International Business Management 12(7): 477-492.
- Almohtaseb, A., et al. (2020). "The effect of transformation leadership on government employee job satisfaction during Covid-19." Management Science Letters 11(4): 1231-1244.
- Arshad, M. Z., et al. (2020). "THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT BUSINESS SUPPORT SERVICES AND ABSORPTIVE CAPACITY ON SMES PERFORMANCE." International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology 29(3): 1492-1499.
- Arshad, M. Z., et al. (2020). "The Importance of Learning Orientation and Entrepreneurial Orientation on SMEs Performance." International Journal of Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity 11(1): 1220-1228.
- Ashforth, B. E., et al. (2008). "Identification in organizations: An examination of four fundamental questions." Journal of management 34(3): 325-374.
- Barasa, B. L. and A. Kariuki (2020). "Transformation leadership style and employee job satisfaction in county government of Kakamega, Kenya." International Journal of Research in Business and Social Science (2147-4478) 9(5): 100-108.
- Bass, B. M. (1990). "From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision." Organizational dynamics 18(3): 19-31.
- Belias, D. and A. Koustelios (2014). "Transformational leadership and job satisfaction in the banking sector: A review." International Review of Management and Marketing 4(3): 187.
- Bhatti, M. A., et al. (2019). "The Impact of Social CRM Capabilities and Customer Engagement on the Firm Performance: Mediating Role of Social Media Usage." Pakistan Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 7(3): 313-324.
- Boamah, S. A., et al. (2018). "Effect of transformational leadership on job satisfaction and patient safety outcomes." Nursing outlook 66(2): 180-189.
- Buil, I., et al. (2019). "Transformational leadership and employee performance: The role of identification, engagement and proactive personality." International Journal of Hospitality Management 77: 64-75.
- Choi, S. L., et al. (2016). "Transformational leadership, empowerment, and job satisfaction: the mediating role of employee empowerment." Human resources for health 14(1): 73.
- Conger, J. A. and R. N. Kanungo (1988). "The empowerment process: Integrating theory and practice." Academy of management review 13(3): 471-482.
- Dappa, K., et al. (2019). "A study on the effect of transformational leadership on job satisfaction: The role of gender, perceived organizational politics and perceived organizational commitment." Management Science Letters 9(6): 823-834.
- Dias-Silveira, C., et al. (2017). "Nursing team management: factors associated with job satisfaction." Enfermería Global 16(3): 224-239.
- Eliyana, A. and S. Ma’arif (2019). "Job satisfaction and organizational commitment effect in the transformational leadership towards employee performance." European Research on Management and Business Economics 25(3): 144-150.
- Epitropaki, O. and R. Martin (2005). "The moderating role of individual differences in the relation between transformational/transactional leadership perceptions and organizational identification." The Leadership Quarterly 16(4): 569-589.
- Gkolia, A., et al. (2014). Teachers’ job satisfaction and self-efficacy: A review. European Scientific Journal, 10 (22), 321-342.
- Henseler, J., et al. (2015). "A new criterion for assessing discriminant validity in variance-based structural equation modeling." Journal of the Academy of marketing Science 43(1): 115-135.
- Jabnoun, N. and A. J. A. Rasasi (2005). "Transformational leadership and service quality in UAE hospitals." Managing Service Quality: An International Journal.
- Kimura, T. (2012). "Transformational leadership and job satisfaction: The mediating effects of perceptions of politics and market orientation in the Japanese context." International Journal of Business Science & Applied Management (IJBSAM) 7(1): 29-42.
- Musinguzi, C., et al. (2017). "203: The Relationship between Leadership Styles and Health Worker Motivation, Teamwork and Job Satisfaction in Health Facilities in Uganda." BMJ Open 7(Suppl 1): bmjopen-2016-015415.015203.
- Nielsen, K., et al. (2009). "The mediating effects of team and self-efficacy on the relationship between transformational leadership, and job satisfaction and psychological well-being in healthcare professionals: A cross-sectional questionnaire survey." International journal of nursing studies 46(9): 1236-1244.
- Nwokolo, C. and A. Anyamene (2016). "Relationship between job satisfaction and commitment among secondary school counsellors in Anambra State, Nigeria." European Journal of Education Studies.
- Pittino, D., et al. (2018). "Psychological ownership, knowledge sharing and entrepreneurial orientation in family firms: The moderating role of governance heterogeneity." Journal of Business Research 84: 312-326.
- Proctor, C. R. (2014). Effective organizational communication affects employee attitude, happiness, and job satisfaction, Southern Utah University. Department of Communication. 2014.
- Qureshi, M. A., et al. (2018). "Is supervisor support matter in job satisfaction? A moderating role of fairness perception among nurses in Pakistan." Academy of Strategic Management Journal 17(6): 1-10.
- Riaz, A. and M. H. Haider (2010). "Role of transformational and transactional leadership on job satisfaction and career satisfaction." Business and Economic horizons 1(1): 29-38.
- Salau, O., et al. (2018). "Integrated datasets on transformational leadership attributes and employee engagement: The moderating role of job satisfaction in the Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) industry." Data in brief 19: 2329-2335.
- Taderera, B. H., et al. (2016). "Health personnel retention strategies in a peri-urban community: an exploratory study on Epworth, Zimbabwe." Human resources for health 14(1): 17.
- Teo, T. S., et al. (2008). "Trust and electronic government success: An empirical study." Journal of management information systems 25(3): 99-132.
- Tepret, N. Y. and K. Tuna (2015). "Effect of management factor on employee job satisfaction: An application in telecommunication sector." Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 195(0224): 673-679.
- Vecchio, R. P., et al. (2010). "Empowering leadership: An examination of mediating mechanisms within a hierarchical structure." The Leadership Quarterly 21(3): 530-542.
- Xian, J., et al. (2020). "Transformational leadership and employees’ thriving at work: the mediating roles of challenge-hindrance stressors." Frontiers in Psychology 11: 1400.
- Zhang, X. and K. M. Bartol (2010). "Linking empowering leadership and employee creativity: The influence of psychological empowerment, intrinsic motivation, and creative process engagement." Academy of management journal 53(1): 107-128.
- Article View: 376
- PDF Download: 985