Document Type : Research Article
Associate Professor & Head, Department of Economics, Centre for Economic Policy Analysis, Thiruvalluvar University, Serkkadu, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India.
The economy of Tamil Nadu is agro-forestry based economy based on agriculture and its associated activities. Among the blocks in Tamil Nadu Gudiyattam Block of Vellore district is agriculturally developed one. Agricultural labourers constitute overwhelming majority segment of operational inhabitants. Their number in Tamil Nadu as per 2011 census is around 3.25 millions. In agricultural harvesting process both male and female labourers are employed. In all purpose merely male workers were working because they are the emotionally involved workers when compare to their counterpart. They live in poorly built-up and socially low status houses, starving and malnourished. Their educational, economic and social statuses are also very low when we compare to the main stream of the society. Without providing proper importance given to agricultural labourers concerning the living environment is enhanced, no country can attain real progress and development in agriculture. In this background, this study concentrates on the problems and constraints of agricultural labourers in Gudiyattam Block of Vellore District in Tamil Nadu.
- Economy of Tamil Nadu
- Agro-Forestry based economy
- Agricultural labourers
- Agricultural production
- Mainstream of the society
- Women labourers
- Informal Sector
- Working conditions and Permanent labourers
1. Andrew Dorward (2013). “Agriculture Labour Productivity, Elsevier Publication”, Food Policy-39, pp 40-50, 2013.
2. District Census Handbook Dakshina Kannada (2011). “Village and Town wise Primary census Abstract (PCA), Directorate of census operations Karnataka”, Census of India, Series-30, Part-XII-B.
3. Doddamani K.N (2014). “A study on Agricultural labourers from Hyderabad Karnataka area to Maharastra”. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (ISOR-JHSS) Vol.19, Issue-5, Ver.III (May 2014).
- Gade Siddhanath, Purohit Mayakumari & Kaktikar Salman (2019). “A Study of Problems of Agricultural Labourers in India”. Aarhat Multidisciplinary International Education Journal, Vol. VIII, Special Issue – X, ISSN: 2278-5655.
- Janifar, A & Chandrasekaran, S (2019). “Problems Faced by Agricultural Landless Laborers in Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu: A Status Analysis”. Asian Review of Social Sciences, Vol.8 No.2, ISSN: 2249-6319.
- Kalra, B.R. (1976). “Employment and Productivity of Agricultural Working Force”. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economic, Vol. 31, No.4.
- Negi, D.S (2020). “Retail inflation for agricultural labourers eases to 6% in November; down to 5.86% for rural workers”, The Economic Times, e-Paper, 18th December 2020.
- Puri V.K and S.K Mishar (2015). “Indian Economy-Its Development and Experience”, (33rd edition) Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai, India, 2015.
- Yuvaraja, U. (2019). “Socio-economic Conditions of the Agricultural Labourers: An Analysis”. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management, Volume 8, No. 6, ISSN 2319 – 4847.
- Hans P. Binswanger-Mkhize (2012). “India (1960-2010), Structural change the rural nonfarm sector and the prospects for agriculture”. Stanford symposium series on Global Food Policy & Food Security in the 21 Century.
- Patel, B.B. (1990). “Profile of Unorganized Labour: Agricultural Labourers in India”. Paper presented on National Seminar on Rural Labour Ministry of Labour. New Delhi.
- Reddy, B., Prakash, R. & Reddy, B. (2021). “Dynamics of Agricultural Labour in Small-Farm Economy: Work, Gender and Technologies in Cotton Production in Telangana”. Indian Journal Labour Economics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41027-021-00308-y.
- Santhosh Gangwar (2020). “Retail inflation for agricultural labourers eases to 6% in November; down to 5.86% for rural workers”. The Economic Times, e-Paper, 18th December 2020.
- Venu B.N, Umesh K.B., and Gaddi G.M (2016). “Agricultural Labour Migration and Remittances in Karnataka State of India”. International Journal of Agricultural Science ISSN 0975-3710 and E-ISSN- 0975-9107, Vol. 8, No.58.
- Vetrival V. Manegandan R. (2013). “An Empirical Study of Agricultural Labour in India”, Journal of Exclusive Management since Vol.2, No.12, ISSN 2277-5684.