Comparative Analysis of Financial Reporting of Selected Small and Medium Enterprises (Smes) in Baguio City: Basis for a Financial Planning Model
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 1487-1502
AbstractThis study aimed to determine the level of financial reporting compliance and comparative analysis of selected SMEs' financial statements to develop and propose a financial planning model as a tool for the financial decision-making of SMEs.
Descriptive and correlational research was utilized. Mean, Standard Deviation, T-test, ANOVA, and Pearson Product Moment Correlation used for data analysis.
The findings revealed that SMEs financial reporting compliance was not significantly different when grouped as to the length of existence, number of employees, asset capitalization, beginning liability, and position. The financial reporting compliance in terms of income, expense, asset, liabilities, equity, and earnings per share showed a significant relationship with financial statements analysis such as profit margin, dividends per share, inventory turnover, and total asset turnover of SMEs.
- Abor, J. (2007). Debt policy and performance of SMEs: Evidence from Ghanaian and South African firms. The Journal of Risk Finance Incorporating Balance Sheet, 8(4), pages 364-379.
- Asian Development Bank Institute (2016). SME in Developing Asia. New Approaches to Overcoming Market Failures. https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/214476/adbi-smes-developing-asia.pdf.
- Aldaba, R. M. (2014), SMEs access to finance: Philippines. In Harvie, C., S. Oum, and D. Narjoko (eds.), Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Access to Finance in Selected East Asian Economies. ERIA Research Project Report 2010-14, Jakarta: ERIA, 291-350 Retrieved from https://www.eria.org/uploads/media/Research-Project-Report/RPR-2010-14.pdf
- Block, Hirt and Danielsen (2009), Fundamentals of Corporate Finance. USA: McGraw Hill
- Brigham, E., and Houston, J., (2008). Fundamentals of Financial Management. South-Western/Thomson Learning. ISBN 0324664567, 9780324664560
- Corporate Finance Institute, (2015-2019). Financial Ratios. https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/finance/financial-ratios/
- Demir, V., & Bahadir, O. (2014). An investigation of compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards by listed companies in Turkey. Accounting and Management Information Systems, 13(1), 4. https://ideas.repec.org/a/ami/journl/v13y2014i1p4-34.html
- Drake, P. (2010). Financial ratio analysis. http://educ.jmu.edu/-drakepp/principles/module2/fin_rat.pdf
- Feltham, D., PhD., (2013). The Adoption of International Accounting Standards for Small- and Medium-Sized Entities. https://pqdtopen.proquest.com/pubnum/3550655.html
- Ferrer, R (2016). The Effects of International Financial Reporting Standards Disclosure For Small And Medium Enterprises (IFRS For SMEs) On Profitability Under The Retail Sector. Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal.
- Ferrer, R. & G. Ferrer (2011). The relationship between profitability and the level of compliance to the international financial reporting standards (IFRS): An empirical investigation on the publicly listed corporations in the Philippines. Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal, 15, 61-82.
- Estoque, R. C.; Yuji, M., (2013). "City Profile: Baguio". Cities. 30: 240–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2011.05.002
- IASB., (2017). International Financial Reporting Standard for Small and Medium-sized Entities (IFRS for SMEs). http://www.picpa.com.ph/frsc.html?article=PFRS%20for%20SMEs&page=FRSC&main_menu=PFRS
- Ocloo, et al., (2014), “Globalization and Competitiveness: Challenges of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Accra, Ghana”, International Journal of Business and Social Science.
- OECD (2009), “Top barriers and drivers to sme internationalization”, Report by the OECD Working Party on SMEs and Entrepreneurship, OECD, 13.
- Philippine Statistics Authority (2015), Establishments and Employment in CAR: 2015. http://rssocar.psa.gov.ph/establishment_based/Establishments%20and%20Employment%20in%20CAR%3A%202015
- Ploybut, S., (2012). Financial Reporting by Small and Medium Enterprises in Thailand. (Doctoral Thesis). Retrieved from https://researchportal.port.ac.uk/portal/files/6033783/PhD_thesis_S._Ploybut_July_2012.pdf
- Rathnasiri, U.A.H.A. (2014). Financial Reporting Practices Of Small And Medium Enterprises (SMEs) In Sri Lanka. South East Asia Journal of Contemporary Business, Economics and Law, 4, (1) (June).
- Securities and Exchange Commission, (2018). Philippine Financial Reporting Standards for Small and Medium-sized Entities.https://www.sec.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2018MCno05.pdf
- Tanwongsval, V., & Pinvanichkul, T. (2008). Accounting information requirements and reporting practices of Thai SMEs. King Mongkut Univ. Tech, 59-74.
- Terzi, S., Oktem, R., Şen, İ. K. (2013), Impact of Adopting International Financial Reporting Standards: Empirical Evidence from Turkey, International Business Research, (2013), 6(4):55-66. http://acikerisim.ticaret.edu.tr/xmlui/handle/11467/2577#sthash.qgEYht0g.dpbs.
- Article View: 278
- PDF Download: 753