Study of Evolution of Framework’s for Measuring Economic Empowerment of Women
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 1370-1377
AbstractLiterature circling around empowerment of women has been extensively studied to craft some significant methodological stand about the measurement of empowerment (Kabeer 2002).There is increasing acknowledgement that economically empowering women is vital both to gain women’s rights and to achieve wider development goals such as economic growth, education, poverty reduction, health, and welfare. This study therefore focuses on understanding the evolution of concept on women empowerment over the years and its importance. Alongside the changed definition of women empowerment, it extensively studies the various frameworks extended for measuring women’s economic empowerment. Finally, it concludes by deducing the major constructs or indictors that pay a pivotal role in measuring economic empowerment of women. It is through measurement of these constructs that effective policy can be formulated for effectively empowering women globally.
- Alkire, S. 2007. “Measuring freedoms alongside well-being”. In Well-being in Developing Countries: New Approaches and research Strategies, Edited by: Gough, I. and McGregor, J. A. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Alsop, R., Bertelsen, M. and Holland, J. 2006. Empowerment in Practice From Analysis to Implementation, Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Alsop, Ruth. 2004. Local Organizations in Nepal. A Study of District and Sub-district Organizations. World Bank, Washington, DC.
- Alsop, Ruth, Anirudh Krishna, and Disa Sjoblom. 2001. Inclusion and Local Elected Governments: the Panchayat Raj System in India. Social Development Paper No. 27, World Bank, Washington, DC.
- Alsop, R. and Heinsohn, N. 2005. Measuring Empowerment in Practice: Structuring Analysis and Framing Indicators, Policy Research Working Paper (World Bank)
- Anne Marie Golla, Anju Malhotra, Priya Nanda, and Rekha Mehra. 2011. "Understanding and Measuring Women’s Economic Empowerment : Definition, Framework and Indicators." International Center for Research on Women (ICRW).
- Baden, Hazel Reeves and Sally. 2000. Gender and Development: Concepts and Definitions. Development-Gender Report No. 55., BRIDGE .
- Bank, African Development. 2015. African Gender Equality Index. African Development Bank.
- Bank, Binyam Teshome / World. 2005. "Ethiopia Poverty Assessment." World Bank .
- Batliwala, Srilatha. 1994. "The meaning of women’s empowerment: New concepts from action." Population Policies Reconsidered: Health, Empowerment and Rights.
- CIDA. 1996. "Guide to Gender-Sensitive Indicators." Canada: Canadian International Development Association (CIDA).
- Danida (2000a) ‘Annex 3: Conceptualising Participation and Empowerment’, in Evaluation of Danish Support to Promotion of Human Rights and Democratisation 1990-1998 Participation and Empowerment, Copenhagen: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark.
- DFID (2000a) Poverty Elimination and the Empowerment of Women, London: DFID.
- 2001a. Engendering Development: Through Gender Equality in Rights, Resources, and Voice. World Bank Policy Research Report, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Ewerling, F., Lynch, J. W., Victora, C. G., van Eerdewijk, A., Tyszler, M., and Barros, A. J. D. 2017. "The SWPER index for women's empowerment in Africa: development and validation of an index based on survey data." Lancet Global Health 5.
- Friedmann, John. 1992. "Empowerment: The Politics of Alternative Development." Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Publishers.
- Jejeebhoy, Shireen J. 2000. "“Women’s autonomy in rural India: Its dimensions, determinants, and the influence of context." Women’s Empowerment and Demographic Processes: Moving Beyond Cairo.
- —. 1995. "Women’s Education, Autonomy, and Reproductive Behaviour: Experience from Four Developing Countries." International Studies in Demography, IUSSP. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Kabeer, N. 1999. “Resources, Agency, Achievements: Reflections on the Measurement of Women’s Empowerment.” Development and Change 30: 435-464.
- Kabeer, Naila. 2001. "“Reflections on the measurement of women’s empowerment." Discussing Women’s Empowerment-Theory and Practice.
- Kabeer, Naila. 2002. "Resources, Agency, Achievements: Reflections on the Measurement of Women's Empowerment†." Developement and change.
- Kishor, Sunita. 2000a. "Empowerment of women in Egypt and links to the survival and health of their infants." Women’s Empowerment and Demographic Processes: Moving Beyond Cairo. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Krishna, Anirudh. 2003. Measuring Empowerment: An Analytic Framework. WorldBank: Washington DC.
- Legovini, Arianna. 2005. "MEASURING WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT AND THE IMPACT OF ETHIOPIA’S WOMEN’S DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVES PROJECT." World Bank.
- Luttrell, C. and S. Quiroz (2007) ‘Understanding and Operationalising Empowerment’, Paper prepared for the SDC Poverty-Wellbeing Platform.
- MANSI ANAND, ANNA MECAGNI & MARYAM PIRACHA. 2019. "Practical Tools and Frameworks for Measuring Agency in Women’s Economic Empowerment." The SEEP Network.
- Malhotra, A., S. Schuler, and C. Boender. 2002. “Measuring Women’s Empowerment as a Variable in International Development.” Draft, PRMGE, World Bank, Washington, DC.
- Mbwewe, B Keller and D.C. 1991. "“Policy and planning for the empowerment of Zambia’s." Canadian Journal of Development Studies.
- Meena Acharaya, Lynn Bennett. 1983. "Women and the Subsistence Sector: Economic Participation and Household Decision-making in Nepal." Washington DC: World Bank.n.d. National Commission for Women. http://ncw.nic.in/.
- Narayan, D. (2002) Empowerment and Poverty Reduction Sourcebook, Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Norad (2000) Handbook in Gender and Empowerment Assessment, Oslo: Norad. Norad (2006) Handbook in Human Rights Assessment: State Obligations, Awareness and Empowerment, Oslo: Norad.
- Nussbaum, Martha. 2000. "Women and Human Development: The Capabilities Approach." New York: Cambridge Press.
- RUTH ALSOP, METTE BERTELSEN, AND JEREMY HOLLAND. 2006. Empowerment in practice : From Analysis to Implementation . Washington DC: World Bank .
- Schuler, S. R., and S. M. Hashemi. 1994. “Credit Programs, Women’s Empowerment and Contraceptive Use in Rural Bangladesh.” Studies in Family Planning 25 (2): 65-76.
- Sen, A. 1985. Commodities and Capabilities. Amsterdam: Elsevier. ———. 1992. Inequality Reconsidered. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Sen, Amartya. 1999. "Development as Freedom." Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Sen, Gita. 1993. "Women’s empowerment and human rights: The challenge to policy." Population Summit of the World’s Scientific Academies.
- Smulovitz. C., M. Walton, and P. Petesch. 2003. Notes on Evaluating Empowerment. Draft, LAC, World Bank, Washington, DC.
- Srijan. 1999. Negotiating Spaces. Collaboration between Government and Non Governmental Organizations in Rajasthan. Volume 2, Case Studies, Srijan, New Delhi.
- 1994. "The Women's Equality and Empowerment Framework." United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). www.unicef.org/programme/gpp/policy/empower.html.
- 1985. UN Women https://www.unwomen.org/en/how-we-work/intergovernmental-support/worldconferences-on-women.
- n.d. UN Women: The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. https://www.un.org/youthenvoy/2013/07/un-women-the-united-nations-entity-for-gender-equalityand-the-empowerment-of-women/.
- UNDP. 1995. Human Development Report 1995: Gender and Development. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- UNECA. 2011. African Gender and Development Index. UNECA (United Nations Economic Commission for Africa) .
- UNFPA. 1994. Issue 7: Women Empowerment. https://www.unfpa.org/pcm/node/9551.
- World Bank. 1998. Indonesia Kecamatan Development Project, 1998. Project Appraisal Document, Report No. 17397, World Bank, Washington DC.
- World Bank. 2000a. Ethiopia Women's Development Initiatives Project. Project Appraisal Document, Report No. 20428, World Bank, Washington DC.
- ———. 2000b. World Development Report 2000/2001: Attacking Poverty. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- Yount, Kathryn. 2017. "A FRAMEWORK FOR MEASURING WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT AT MULTIPLE LEVELS." CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH), May 1.
- Article View: 176
- PDF Download: 189