An Empirical Investigation of the Impact of Service Quality Dimensions on Guests Satisfaction: A Case Study of Dubai Hotels
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 1186-1199
AbstractCustomers' satisfaction is one of the most important indicators to identify the hotel sector's service quality level. The study's main purpose was to measure the impact of service quality dimensions on customer satisfaction in the hotel industry in the United Arab Emirates. In particular, this study examines why service quality is a critical determinant of the hotel sector's organisational performance. The study used quantitative methods to achieve the objectives of the research. A self-administered questionnaire was designed to collect the data using the drop-off technique. The questionnaires were distributed to 5000 in-house customers (domestic and international) at the hotels. In total, 3748 customer questionnaires were used in the study, yielding a 75% response rate. In this study, hypotheses were tested through the multiple regression model using SPSS 25.00. Multiple regression analysis showed that tangibles, responsiveness and empathy have significant positive effects on customer satisfaction ( = .120, ρ < 0.05; = .173, ρ < 0.05; = .495, ρ < 0.01, respectively). The study found that service quality helped organisations meet customers' needs and expectations and enhanced satisfaction. Organisations could, therefore, achieve improved financial performance by offering excellent quality services that meet customer needs and expectations. Therefore, improving hotel service quality could result in higher satisfaction levels of hotel customers.
- Abdolahian, S., & Foroozandeh, K. (2011). Customer orientation and its importance for organisations. Transport and Development, 50(1), 60-72.
- Aburayya, A., Al Marzouqi, A., Ayadeh, I., Albqaeen, A., & Mubarak, S. (2020e). Evolving A Hybrid Appointment System for Patient Scheduling in Primary Healthcare Centres in Dubai: Perceptions of Patients and Healthcare Provider. International Journal on Emerging Technologies, 11(2), 251–260.
- Aburayya, A., Alawadhi, D., & Taryam, M. (2019). A conceptual framework for implementing TQM in the primary healthcare centers and examining its impact on patient satisfaction. International Journal of Advanced Research, 7(3), 1047-1065.
- Aburayya, A., Alshurideh, M., Al Marzouqi, A., Al Diabat, O., Alfarsi, A., Suson, R., Bash, M., & Salloum, S.A. (2020b). An Empirical Examination of the Effect of TQM Practices on Hospital Service Quality: An Assessment Study in UAE Hospitals. Sys Rev Pharm,11 (9), 347-362. doi:10.31838/srp.2020.9.51.
- Aburayya, A., Alshurideh, M., Al Marzouqi, A., Al Diabat, O., Alfarsi, A., Suson, R., Salloum, S.A., Alawadhi, D., & Alzarouni, A. (2020c). Critical Success Factors Affecting the Implementation of TQM in Public Hospitals: A Case Study in UAE Hospitals. Sys Rev Pharm, 11 (10), 230-242. doi:10.31838/srp.2020.10.39.
- Aburayya, A., Alshurideh, M., Alawadhi, D., Alfarsi, A., Taryam, M., & Mubarak, S. (2020d). An Investigation of the Effect of Lean Six Sigma Practices on Healthcare Service Quality and Patient Satisfaction: Testing the Mediating Role of Service Quality in Dubai Primary Healthcare Sector. Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems. 12 (8), 56-72. doi:10.5373/JARDCS/V12SP8/20202502.
- Aburayya, A., Marzouqi, A., Alawadhi, D., Abdouli, F., & Taryam, M. (2020a). An empirical investigation of the effect of employees' customer orientation on customer loyalty through the mediating role of customer satisfaction and service quality. Management Science Letters, 10(10), 2147-2158.
- Aggabao, A., & Fermin, G. (2016). Service Quality of Hotels in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Journal of Management and Marketing Review, 1(1), 24-32.
- Ahmad, S., Ahmad, N., & Papastathopoulos, A. (2018). Measuring service quality and customer satisfaction of the small- and medium-sized hotels (SMSHs) industry: lessons from United Arab Emirates (UAE). Tourism Review, 74(1), 349-370.
- Al Khattab, S., & Aldehayyat, J. (2011). Perceptions of Service Quality in Jordanian Hotels. International Journal of Business and Management, 6 (7), 226-233.
- Al Kurdi, B., Alsurideh, M., Nuseir, M., Aburayya, A., & Salloum, S.A. (2021). The effects of subjective norm on the intention to use social media networks: An exploratory study using PLS-SME and machine learning approach. In A. Hassanien & K. Chang (Eds.), Advanced Machine Learning Technologies and Applications (pp. 324-334). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-69717-4.
- Al-Ababneh, M. (2020). Service Quality in the Hospitality Industry. Journal of Tourism & Hospitality, 6, e133. doi: 10.4172/2167-0269.1000e133.
- Al-Dweeri, R., Obeidat, M., Al-Dwiry, M., Alshurideh, M., & Alhorani, A. (2017). The Impact of E-Service Quality and E-Loyalty on Online Shopping: Moderating Effect of E-Satisfaction and E-Trust. International Journal of Marketing Studies, 9 (2), 92-103.
- Alketbi, S., Alshurideh, M., & Al Kurdi, B. (2020). The Influence of Service Quality on Customers' Retention and Loyalty in the UAE Hotel Sector with Respect to the Impact of Customer' satisfaction, Trust, and Commitment: A Qualitative Study. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change, 14 (7), 734-750.
- Al-Khayyal, A., Alshurideh, M., Al Kurdi, B., & Aburayya, A. (2020). The Impact of Electronic Service Quality Dimensions on Customers' E-Shopping and E-Loyalty via the Impact of E-satisfaction and E-Trust: A Qualitative Approach. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change, 14 (9), 257-281.
- Alshurideh, M. (2019). Do electronic loyalty programs still drive customer choice and repeat purchase behavior?. International Journal of Electronic Customer Relationship Management, 12 (1), 40-57.
- Alshurideh, M., Al-Hawary, S., Mohammad, A., & Al Kurdi, B. (2017). The Impact of Islamic Banks' Service Quality Perception on Jordanian Customers Loyalty. Journal of Management Research, 9 (2), 139-159.
- Bitner, M., & Hubbert, A. (1994). Encounter satisfaction versus overall satisfaction versus quality: the customer's voice. In R. T. Rust, & R. L. Oliver (Eds.), Service quality: New directions in theory and practice (pp. 72-94). SAGE Publications, Inc., https://www.doi.org/10.4135/9781452229102.n3.
- BMI Research. (2016). United Arab Emirates Tourism Report Q2 2016. Market Resaerch.com. Retrieved from: https://www.marketresearch.com/Business-Monitor-International-v304/Travel-Services-c208/8.html.
- Boon, C., Den Hartog, D. N., Boselie, P., & Paauwe, J. (2011). The relationship between perceptions of HR practices and employee outcomes: Examining the role of person-organisation and person-job fit. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 22, 138–162.10.1080/09585192.2011.538978.
- Borgave, S., & Koranne, S. (2012). Service Quality Management: A Literature Review. Ethos, 5 (2). Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274332133.
- Capuyan, D. L., Capuno, R. G., Suson, R., Malabago, N. K., Ermac, E. A., Demetrio, R. A. M., Aburayya, A. M., Concordio, C. T., Arcadio, R. D., Medio, G. J., & Lumantas, B.C. (2021). Adaptation of innovative edge banding trimmer for technology instruction: A university case. World Journal on Educational Technology, 13 (1), 31-41. doi:10.18844/wjet.v13i1.536.
- Deng, Z., Lu, Y., Wei, K. K., & Zhang, J. (2010). Understanding customer satisfaction and loyalty: An empirical study of mobile instant messages in China. International Journal of Information Management, 30(4), 289-300.
- El Saghier, N. M. (2015). Managing service quality: Dimensions of service quality: a study in Egypt. International Journal of African and Asian Studies, 9(5), 56-63.
- Ezeokoli, R. N., & Ayodele, K. O. (2014). Dimensions of service quality encountered by students on sustainability of higher education in Nigeria. Developing Country Studies, 4(6), 147-156.
- Fatima, T., Malik, S.A., & Shabbir, A. (2018). Hospital healthcare service quality, patient satisfaction, and loyalty: An investigation in the context of private healthcare systems. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 35(6), 1195-1214.
- Fazlic, S., & Fazlovic, S. (2014). Measuring service quality in hotel industry in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Business Excellence,8(2), 155-169.
- Grönroos, C. (1984). A Service Quality Model and its Marketing Implications. European Journal of Marketing, 18(4), 36-44. doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000004784.
- Hair, J., Babin, B., Money, P., & Samouel, P. (2003). Essentials of business research methods. Wiley.
- Hossain, M.J., & Islam, M.A. (2012). Understanding perceived service quality and satisfaction: A study of Dhaka University Library. Bangladesh, 13(3), 169-182.
- Karunaratne, W. M. K. K., & Jayawardena, L. N. A. C. (2010). Assessment of Customer Satisfaction in a Five Star Hotel-A Case Study. Tropical Agricultural Research, 21(3), 258-265.
- Kim, H.J. (2011). Service orientation, service quality, customer satisfaction, and customer loyalty: Testing a structural model. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 20(1), 619–637.
- Liang, R.D., & Zhang, J.S. (2012). The effect of service interaction orientation on customer satisfaction and behavioral intention: The moderating effect of dining frequency. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 24(6), 153-170.
- Markovic, S., & Raspor, S. (2010). Measuring perceived service quality using servqual: A case study of the Croatian hotel industry. Retrieved from http://www.fm-kp.si/zalozba/ISSN/1854-4231/5_195-209.pdf.
- Minh, N.H., Ha, N.T., Anh, P.C., & Matsui, Y (2015). Service quality and customer satisfaction: A case study of hotel industry in Vietnam. Asian Social Science, 11(10), 73. doi:10.5539/ass.v11n10p73.
- Mohamad, H., Yazid, M., Khatibi, A., & Azam, S. (2017). SERVICE QUALITY, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION AND CUSTOMER LOYALTY OF THE HOTEL INDUSTRY IN United Arab Emirates (UAE): A MEASUREMENT MODEL. European Journal of Management and Marketing Studies, 2 (4), 1-8. doi:10.5281/zenodo.1066572.
- Mohanty, R.P. (2012). Understanding service quality. Production Planning and Control, 24(12), 1-16.
- Panda, T.,& Das, S. (2014). The Role of Tangibility in Service Quality and Its Impact on External Customer Satisfaction: A Comparative Study of Hospital and Hospitality Sectors. IUP Journal of Marketing Management, 13(4), 53-69.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V.A., & Berry, L.L. (1985). A conceptual model of service quality and implications for future research. Journal of Marketing, 49(1), 41-50.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V.A., & Berry, L.L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Journal Retail, 64(1), 12–40.
- Rao, P.S, & Sahu, P.C. (2013). Impact of service quality on customer satisfaction in hotel industry. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 18(5), 39-44.
- Ryglova, K., Vajcnerova, I., & Sacha, J. (2013). Approaches to quality management in hotel industry. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 25(7), 2693–2699.
- Salloum, S.A., Al Ahbabi, N., Habes, M., Aburayya, A., & Akour, I. (2021). Predicting the intention to use social media sites: A hybrid SME- machine learning approach. In A. Hassanien & K. Chang (Eds.), Advanced Machine Learning Technologies and Applications (pp. 324-334). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-69717-4.
- Taryam, M., Alawadhi, D., Aburayya, A., Albaqa'een, A., Alfarsi, A., Makki, I., Rahmani, N., Alshurideh, M., & Salloum, S.A. (2020). Effectiveness of not Quarantining Passengers after Having a Negative COVID-19 PCR Test at Arrival to Dubai Airports. Sys Rev Pharm, 11 (11), 1384-1395. doi:10.31838/srp.2020.11.197.
- Ünal, A., Bayar, S., Çelen, O., & Tuna, M . (2020). A Research on Determining the Effect of the Satisfactions Perceived by Domestic Tourists on Intention to Visit. Tourism and Recreation, Ek Sayı, 46-53. Retrieved from https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/tourismandrecreation/issue/57745/806867.
- Article View: 536
- PDF Download: 1,639