An Assessment of Environmental Impact of a Prominent Contributor in Coalmining Industry of India
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 1142-1147
AbstractThe mining industry plays a crucial role in supporting the economic development of nation, but on the darker side it has some undesirable impacts on environment. Being a heavy pollution causing industry and an energy supply industry, mining industry is the focus of environmental protection work. It is evident that despite the increase in Corporate Environmental Disclosure, there remains a substantial heterogeneity in terms of how corporations hold accountability for their environmental impacts. Therefore, to understand this heterogeneity in a better way, this study examines the perceived Environmental Accountability of the NCL, (a prominent contributor in coalmining industry of India), by evaluating its impact on environment from the perspective of different stakeholders.
- Bell F.G., Bullock S.E.T., Hälbich T.F.J. and Lindsay P. (2011). Environmental impacts associated with an abandoned mine in the Witbank Coalfield, South Africa, International Journal of Coal Geology45 (2001), 195–216.
- Epstein, P.R., Buonocore, J.J., Eckerle, K., Hendryx, M., Stout, B.M.I., Heinberg, R., Clapp, R.W., May, B., Reinhart, N.L., Ahern, M.M., Doshi, S.K. &Glustrom, L. (2011). Full Cost Accounting for the Life Cycle of Coal Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1219, 73-98.
- Fatah, L. (2008). The Impacts of Coal Mining on the Economy and Environment of South Kalimantan Province of Indonesia, Asean Economic Bulletin, 25(1), pp. 85-98.
- Hobbs P., Oelofse S.H.H., RascherJ.(2008). Management of Environmental Impacts from Coal Mining in the Upper Olifants River Catchment as a Function of Age and Scale. Water Resources Development. 24 (3), 417-431.
- https://www.coalindia.in/DesktopModules/DocumentList/documents/Guidelines_for_Environmental_Personnel_in_Mines_20092016.pdf (Accessed on 05 Jan 2017 at 9:15 PM)
- Mangena S.J., Brent A.C. (2006). Application of a Life Cycle Impact Assessment framework to evaluate and compare environmental performances with economic values of supplied coal products. Journal of Cleaner Production. 14 (12–13), 1071-1084.
- Orem W. H.,Finkelman R.B.(2004). Coal Formation and Geochemistry. In: Holland H.D., Turekian, K.K., Meckenzie, F.T.(Eds.), Treatise on Geochemistry, Sediments Diagenesis and Sedimentary Rocks (7).Elsevier, Amsterdam. 191-222.
- Ribeiro, J., Taffarel, S.R., Sampaio, C.H., Flores, D., Silva, L.F.O.(2013). Mineral speciation and fate of some hazardous contaminants in coal waste pile from anthracite mining in Portugal. International Journal of Coal Geology.109–110 (April), 15-23.
- Silva L. F.O., Wollenschla M., Oliveira M.L.S.(2011). A Priliminary Study of Coal Mining Drainage and Environmental Health in the Santa Catarina region, Brjail. Environ Geochem Health 33,55-65.
- Younger P.L.(2004). Environmental Impacts of Coal Mining and Associated Wastes: A Geaochemical Perspective. In: Geire R., Stille P. (Eds), Special Publicatons 236. Energy waste and Environment: A Geochemical Perspective: Geological Socoiety, London, 169-209.
- Article View: 161
- PDF Download: 138