Aggregate Planning of Batch Plant Operations
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 1133-1141
AbstractAggregate planning is an analytical tool offering a strategy to meet demand based on capacity constraints. Production and supply of building materials plays an important role in delivering constructed facilities, particularly for concrete and asphalt batch plants. The supply chain of construction materials (e.g., concrete) presents unique challenges, but is a key factor in the successful delivery of facilities. This paper addresses the production and implementation of an integrated planning approach focused on simulation that enables the modeling and organization of the supply chain of a batch factory. The tool is applied to a true case of asphalt production operations, where fluctuating demand affects the production plant's level of service and makes production planning and inventory processes a challenging task. The model quantifies the impact of the asphalt processing plant's different parameters on its level of operation and tries to determine the right solutions for the processing, procurement and delivery processes of the factory.
- P. Parthanadee and J. Buddhakulsomsiri, “Production efficiency improvement in batch production system using value stream mapping and simulation: A case study of the roasted and ground coffee industry,” Prod. Plan. Control, 2014.
- S. Kumar, B. S. Purohit, V. Manjrekar, V. Singh, and B. K. Lad, “Investigating the value of integrated operations planning: A case-based approach from automotive industry,” Int. J. Prod. Res., 2018.
- A. M. Aguirre and L. G. Papageorgiou, “Medium-term optimization-based approach for the integration of production planning, scheduling and maintenance,” Comput. Chem. Eng., 2018.
- D. Kibira, G. Shao, and B. Johansson, “Framework for standardization of simulation integrated production planning,” in Proceedings - Winter Simulation Conference, 2016.
- D. Kessel, J. Jeon, J. Jung, E. Oh, C. L. Kim, and R. Abdulaziz, “Logistical Simulation Modeling for Planning a Soil Remediation Process,” Sci. Technol. Nucl. Install., 2019.
- I. Contador et al., “Muestra Trimestral Manufacturera Regional - MTMR,” Eur. J. Oper. Res., 2017.
- L. Gutierrez, J. Laredo, F. Sotelo, and C. Raymundo, “6TOC model for small wood furniture companies to increase machining productivity in Villa El Salvador industrial cluster,” in Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 2020.
- J. Sieber and D. Purkey, “Water Evaluation and Planing system (WEAP) user guide,” Stock. Environ. Instiute (SEI), U.S.Center, 2015.
- S. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bandyopadhyay, “Aggregate Planning,” in Production and Operations Analysis, 2019.
- D. R. Bish and H. D. Sherali, “Aggregate-level demand management in evacuation planning,” Eur. J. Oper. Res., 2013.
- Article View: 150
- PDF Download: 171