Management of Corporate Social Responsibility between Profit and Social Responsibility
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 940-948
AbstractCorporate Social Responsibility (CSR) focuses on many categories of stakeholders and results, including non-organization stakeholders and results that go beyond financial outcomes. Thus, CSR extends the notion of work to go beyond the viewpoint of a mission, job, intra-individual, intra-organizational, and benefit and offers an ideal medium for individuals to try and find meaning through work. We follow a person-centered conceptualization of CSR by concentrating on the making of senses as an underlying and unifying process by which individuals are constructive and conscious agents who search and find meaning by work. Our conceptualization enables us to understand variation in CSR effects due to variation in employee sensitivity and meaningfulness of CSR experience by employees; highlight synergies through disconnected hypotheses and research streams that arise in various disciplines and at the intra-individual, intra-organizational and extra-organizational levels of analysis; and suggest new research. Through using sensory formation as a unifying underlying mechanism, the suggested conceptualization illustrates how individuals find meaningfulness through work and, ultimately, when and why workers perceive CSR in a specific way, which results in more or less positive results for themselves, their organizations and existing stakeholders. Our proposed model may also be used in other research areas that would benefit from (a) putting people in the center stage and their quest for meaningfulness, and (b) concentrating on the role that same-level and cross-level interactions play in the cycle between intra-individual, interpersonal-organizational, and extra-organizational sensing factors.
- A. K. Alexander and M. W. Douthit, “The Power of Purpose: How Organizations are Making Work More Meaningful,” Acad. Manag. Proc., 2016.
- W. Cragg, M. S. Schwartz, and D. Weitzner, Corporate Social Responsibility. 2017.
- “No Title.” [Online]. Available: https://givingcompass.org/article/5-inspirational-examples-of-corporate-social-responsibility-in-marketing/.
- E. A. Segura and M. del C. VallsMartínez, “Strategic analysis of Ethical Banking in Spain through Triodos Bank. Financing social and environmental projects,” CIRIEC-Espana Rev. Econ. Publica, Soc. y Coop., 2018.
- H. Aguinis and A. Glavas, “On Corporate Social Responsibility, Sensemaking, and the Search for Meaningfulness Through Work,” J. Manage., 2019.
- B. Cheng, I. Ioannou, and G. Serafeim, “Corporate social responsibility and access to finance,” Strateg. Manag. J., 2014.
- A. N. Seivwright and K. L. Unsworth, “Making sense of corporate social responsibility and work,” Front. Psychol., 2016.
- M. L. Barnett and R. M. Salomon, “Does it pay to be really good? addressing the shape of the relationship between social and financial performance,” Strateg. Manag. J., 2012.
- D. P. Ghadiri, J. P. Gond, and L. Brès, “Identity work of corporate social responsibility consultants: Managing discursively the tensions between profit and social responsibility,” Discourse Commun., 2015.
- X. Font, A. Walmsley, S. Cogotti, L. McCombes, and N. Häusler, “Corporate social responsibility: The disclosure-performance gap,” Tour. Manag., 2012.
- A. Mc Williams and D. Siegel, “Corporate social responsibility: A theory of the firm perspective,” in Business Ethics and Strategy, Volumes I and II, 2018.
- C. K. Man, “International Perspective: The Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility Reports on Analysts’ Coverage and Forecast Properties: Evidence from FT Global 500 by Paholic Man. C. K.,” SSRN Electron. J., 2015.
- H. Wang, L. Tong, R. Takeuchi, and G. George, “Corporate social responsibility: An overview and new research directions,” Academy of Management Journal. 2016.
- A. Valackiene, “Theoretical substation of the model for crisis management in organization,” Eng. Econ., 2011.
- H. Servaes and A. Tamayo, “The impact of corporate social responsibility on firm value: The role of customer awareness,” Manage. Sci., 2013.
- J. Surroca, J. A. Tribó, and S. Waddock, “Corporate responsibility and financial performance: The role of intangible resources,” Strateg. Manag. J., 2010.
- X. B. Huang and L. Watson, “Corporate social responsibility research in accounting,” J. Account. Lit., 2015.
- J. S. Hiller, “The Benefit Corporation and Corporate Social Responsibility,” J. Bus. Ethics, 2013.
- M. Schudson, The sociology of news. 2011.
- A. Jha and J. Cox, “Corporate social responsibility and social capital,” J. Bank. Financ., 2015.
- A. Goss and G. S. Roberts, “The impact of corporate social responsibility on the cost of bank loans,” J. Bank. Financ., 2011.
- “ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AS A CORPORATE STRATEGY IN SMALL BUSINESSES MECHANICAL METAL INDUSTRY,” Environ. Soc. Responsib. AS A Corp. Strateg. SMALL BUSINESSES Mech. Met. Ind., 2015.
- R. Lanis and G. Richardson, “Corporate social responsibility and tax aggressiveness: An empirical analysis,” J. Account. Public Policy, 2012.
- W. Phillips, H. Lee, A. Ghobadian, N. O’Regan, and P. James, “Social Innovation and Social Entrepreneurship: A Systematic Review,” Gr. Organ. Manag., 2015.
- H. Jo and M. A. Harjoto, “The Causal Effect of Corporate Governance on Corporate Social Responsibility,” J. Bus. Ethics, 2012.
- M. Stuebs and L. Sun, “Corporate governance and social responsibility,” Int. J. Law Manag., 2015.
- 9. Retrieved from email@example.com Aarssen, L. W., & Crimi, L. (2016). Legacy, leisure and the ‘work hard—Play hard’ hypothesis. The Open Psychology Journal et al., “Self-conscious emotion and existential concerns: An examination of the effect of shame on death-related thoughts.,” 2017.
- C. Mason and J. Simmons, “Embedding Corporate Social Responsibility in Corporate Governance: A Stakeholder Systems Approach,” J. Bus. Ethics, 2014.
- A. C. T. Smith and H. M. Westerbeek, “Sport as a Vehicle for Deploying Corporate Social Responsibility,” J. Corp. Citizsh., 2014.
- Article View: 92
- PDF Download: 123