A Review of Organic Agriculture Industry in Malaysia and Gross Margin between Organic and Conventional Plantation
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 329-338
AbstractThe objective of this study are 1) To review the definition of organic farming 2) To investigate the international and local standard for organic food and 3) To compare gross margin between organic and inorganic paddy farming. Using field evaluation and interview techniques, this study conducted a study on 3 organic farms and 27 inorganic paddy farms in Malaysia. Two leading organic agriculture regulators in the world are IFOAM and USDA, IFOAM allows private standard setters to define their additional criteria and USDA does not allow others to set a standard that is above the federal. This study also laid out a few organic accreditations in several Asian countries including Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Japan, India, and China. Field evaluation of conventional and organic paddy plantation are discussed and it is found that organic plantation earned less gross margins (13.5 %) as compared to inorganic farming. This study may give some inputs for the Research and Development (R&D) department to improve the organic farming activities and how to reduce its cost and increase its gross margin. Organic farming is important as it is sustainable to lure bio-economy strategy and food security in Malaysia as laid out in National Agricultural Policy.
- Acs S, Berentsen PBM, Huirne RBM (2007) Conversion to organic arable farming in The Netherlands: A dynamic linear programming analysis. Agricultural Systems 94(2):405–415. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2006.11.002
- Adhikari RK (2009) Economics of Organic Vs Inorganic Carrot Production in Nepal. Journal of Agriculture and Environment 10:27–33. https://doi.org/10.3126/aej.v10i0.2127
- Agriculture USDOA (2017) 2016 Count of certified organic operations shows continued growth in US market. US Department of Agriculture.
- Agriculture USDOA (2011) What is organic? US Department of Agriculture.
- Agriculture, USDOA (2016) The National Organic Program. USDA Agricultural Marketing Service: Washington.
- Bai SK, Hariyappa N, Reddy DRB, Muralidhara HR, Raghuramulu Y (2009) Economics of organic farming vis-à-vis conventional production of robusta coffee in India. Journal of Coffee Research, 37(1/2): 16-25.
- Boström M, Klintman M (2011) Eco-standards, product labelling and green consumerism. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Centre IT (2011) China Organic Product Certification Program, C.O.P. Certification, Editor. International Trade Centre, Nanjing
- Chapagain T, Riseman A, Yamaji E (2011) Assessment of system of rice intensification (SRI) and conventional practices under organic and inorganic management in Japan. Rice Science 18(4):311-320. doi:10.1016/s1672-6308(12)60010-9
- Charyulu DK, Biswas S (2010) Economics and efficiency of organic farming vis-à-vis conventional farming in India. Indian Institute of Management.
- Ciccarese L, Silli V (2016) The role of organic farming for food security: Local nexus with a global view. Future of food, Journal on Food, Agriculture and Society 4(1):56-67.
- CORAA (2017) Organic guarantee system for Cambodia. Retrieved from: http://www.coraa-cambodia.org/about-us/
- DOS (2015) Press Release: Selected agricultural indicators 2015. Retrieved from https://www.dosm.gov.my/v1/index.php?r=column/pdfPrev&id=bnR4ZFJnbXVOQmt6TDhNNmh3M0Y5dz09
- DOS (2015) Press Release: Supply and utilization accounts selected agricultural commodities, Malaysia 2010-2014. Retrieved from https://www.dosm.gov.my/v1/index.php?r=column/ctheme&menu_id=Z0VTZGU1UHBUT1VJMFlpaXRRR0xpdz09&bul_id=ZzNBdUlWT2l4NE4xNCt6U2VNc1Q2QT09.
- DOS (2017) Malaysia economic statistics - time series 2015. Retrieved from https://www.dosm.gov.my/v1/index.php?r=column/ctimeseries&menu_id=NHJlaGc2Rlg4 ZXlGTjh1SU1kaWY5UT09
- Dardak AR, Zainol Abidin, A, Ali A (2019) Consumers’ perception, consumption, and preference on organic product: Malaysian perspective. Economic and Technology
Management Review 4(1): 95-107
- Dobermann A (2004) A critical assessment of the system of rice intensification (SRI). Agricultural Systems 79(3): 261-281 doi:10.1016/s0308-521x(03)00087-8
- Franz J, Bobojonov I, Egamberdiev O (2009) Assessing the economic viability of organic cotton production in Uzbekistan: A First Look. Journal of sustainable agriculture 34(1): 99-119.
- Harun R, Ariff EEE (2017) The role of institutional support in Malaysia’s paddy and rice industry, in food and fertilizer technology center for Asian and pacific region. Economic and Social Science Research Centre, MARDI.
- Ibrahim N, Mook LS (2014) Factors affecting paddy production under integrated agriculture development area of North Terengganu (IADA KETARA): A case study. IPICEX (unpublished).
- Industry (2014) M.o.C., National Programme for Organic Production, D.o. Commerce, Editor. Ministry of Commerce & Industry, New Delhi
- Jadhav MS, Kamble BH, Yadav DB (2006) Profitability of organic and inorganic farming of Suru Sugarcane in Maharashtra. Agricultural Economics Research Review 19(3): 234.
- KPIAT (2017) Jamin kualiti hasil pertanian organik. Kementerian Pertanian & Industri Asas Tani Malaysia: Malaysia.
- Kshirsagar KG (2008) Organic Sugarcane Farming for Enhancing Farmers’ Income and Reducing the Degradation of Land and Water Resources in Maharashtra. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics 63(902-2016-67350).
- Mokhtar NA (2013) Why bother going organic? The Star Online: Malaysia.
- Mokhtar NA (2014) Understanding organic 'labels'. The Star Online: Malaysia.
- Mundinamani SM (2010) An economic analysis of organic farming in north Karnataka: A case study of organic villages. Doctoral dissertation, UAS, Dharwad.
- Othman SN, Othman Z, Yaacob NA (2016) The value chain of system of rice intensification (SRI) organic rice of rural farms in Kedah. International Journal of Supply Chain Management 5:111-120.
- Othman SN, Othman Z, Yaacob NA, Hamid KA (2016) Sustainable rice production and its impact on the rice value chain: A case study of rural paddy farm in Kedah. In AIP Conference Proceedings 1761(1): 020085. AIP Publishing LLC. doi:10.1063/1.4960925
- Othman Z (2012) Information and communication technology innovation as a tool for promoting sustainable agriculture: a case study of paddy farming in West Malaysia. Faculty of Science University of Malaya: Kuala Lumpur.
- Othman Z, Muhammad A, Bakar MA (2010) A sustainable paddy farming practice in West Malaysia. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences: Annual Review 5(2):425-438. doi:10.18848/1833-1882/cgp/v05i02/51557
- Pilo W (2017, July 21) SRI farm method introduced in Long Semadoh. Borneo Post Online. Retrieved from https://www.theborneopost.com/2017/07/21/sri-farm-method-introduced-in-long-semadoh/
- Rajamoorthy Y, Rahim KB, Munusamy S (2015) Rice industry in Malaysia: Challenges, policies and implications. Procedia Economics and Finance 31:861-867. doi:10.1016/s2212-5671(15)01183-1
- Rakotomalala HW (1997) Comparison entre la Rizicullture Traditionnelle et le Systeme de Riziculture Intensive dans La Region de Ranomafana. Science Agronomique.
- Ramesh P, Panwar NR., Singh AB, Ramana S, Yadav SK, Shrivastava R, Rao AS (2010) Status of organic farming in India. Current Science, 1190-1194.
- Seufert V, Ramankutty N, Mayerhofer T (2017) What is this thing called organic? – How organic farming is codified in regulations. Food Policy 68:10-20. doi: 10.1016/j.foodpol.2016.12.009
- Sheehy JE, Peng S, Dobermann A, Mitchell PL, Ferrer A, Yang J, Zou Y, Zhong X, Huang J (2004) Fantastic yields in the system of rice intensification: fact or fallacy? Field Crops Research 88(1):1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2003.12.006
- Shiotsu F, Sakagami N, Asagi N, Suprapta DN, Agustiani N, Nitta Y, Komatsuzaki M (2015) Initiation and dissemination of organic rice cultivation in Bali, Indonesia. Sustainability 7(5):5171-5181
- Singh IP, Grover DK, (2011) Economic Viability of Organic Farming: An Empirical Experience of Wheat Cultivation in Punjab. Agricultural Economics Research Review 24(2):275-281.
- Siwar C, Idris ND, Yasar M, Morshed G (2014) Issues and challenges facing rice production and food security in the granary areas in the East Coast Economic Region (ECER), Malaysia. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology 7(4): 711-722. doi:10.19026/rjaset.7.307
- Somasundram C, Razali Z, Santhirasegaram V (2016) A review on organic food production in Malaysia. Horticulturae 2(3):12.
- Sudheer P (2013) Economics of organic versus chemical farming for three crops in Andhra Pradesh, India. Journal of Organic Systems 8(2):36-49.
- Suhaimee S, Ibrahim IZ, Abd Wahab, MAM (2016) Organic agriculture in Malaysia. Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (MARDI). Retrieved from http://ap.fftc.agnet.org/ap_db.php?id=579&print=1
- Sujatha RV, Eswara Prasad Y, Suhasini K (2006) Comparative analysis of efficiency of organic farming vs inorganic farming—A case study in Karimnagar district of Andhra Pradesh. Agric. Econ. Res. Rev 19(2):232.
- Sushil Kumar, Thakur DS, Chauhan SK, Sharma KD (2006) Impact of drought on cost and returns from cereal crops under different organic and inorganic
farming systems in Himachal Pradesh. Agric. Econ. Res. Rev. 19(2):227.
- Sutinen JG, Kuperan K (1999) A socio‐economic theory of regulatory compliance. International Journal of Social Economics 26(1/2/3):174-193. doi:10.1108/03068299910229569
- Tripathi AO, Shingane US, Thakar L (2010) Comparative economics of organic and inorganic farming.
- Urfi P, Koch KK, Hoffmann A, Sárdi K (2013) Comparative cost analysis of organic and conventional farming in Hungary. Communications in soil science and plant analysis 44(1-4):703-710.
- USDA (2012) What is Organic? USDO Agriculture, Editor.
- USDA Certifier Locator (2017) USDA Organic Integrity Database - Certifier Locator. In: organic.ams.usda.gov. https://organic.ams.usda.gov/integrity/Certifiers/CertifiersLocationsSearchPage.aspx
- Utusan Online (2015) Ladang organik bersepadu.
- Waykar KR, Yadav DB, Shendage PN, Sale YC (2006) Economics of grape production under organic and inorganic farming in the Nasik district of Maharashtra state. Agric. Econ. Res. Rev 19(2):240.
- Win HE (2017) Organic Agriculture in Thailand. In: FFTC Agricultural Policy Platform (FFTC-AP). https://ap.fftc.org.tw/article/1161. Accessed 23 Mar 2021
- Article View: 474
- PDF Download: 1,197