Analyzing Business Leadership Skills Under Uncertain Environment Using Fuzzy AHP Approach.
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 3, Pages 32-38
AbstractOver the years, leaders affect followers' success and inspiration. Up to this point, research has concentrated on leader characteristics, attitudes, or followers' self-concepts and the related consequences. Dynamic leadership attracts attention because it leads to promoting future business leadership. This study aims to analyze the influencing factors of business leadership. This study proposes the Fuzzy Analytical Hierarchy Process Method (FAHP) to achieve a systematic weighting of critical factors affecting business leadership to overcome human expectations' vagueness. Group of critical criteria basing on experts' opinions are identified: Creative Thinking (A), Cause-Effect Analysis (B), Forecasting (C), Planning (D), Visioning (E), Problem Defining (F), Idea Evaluation (G), Wisdom (H), and Constraint Analysis (I). The results revealed that Visioning (E) is the most critical skill at a weight of 0.138, Forecasting (C) is the second position and Creative Thinking (A) is placed third with the weight of 0.126. The remaining skills’ rankings are Cause-Effect Analysis (B) > Planning (D)> Idea Evaluation (G) >Wisdom (H) Constraint Analysis (I)> Problem Defining(F), respectively. The implications of findings bearing on leader thinking skills for leader assessment and leader development are considered. Finally, sensitivity analysis is conducted to verify the robustness of the results.
- Banks, G. C. et al. (2017) ‘A meta-analytic review and future research agenda of charismatic leadership’, Leadership Quarterly. Elsevier Inc., 28(4), pp. 508–529. doi: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2016.12.003.
- Buckley, J. J. (1985) ‘Fuzzy hierarchical analysis’, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 17(3), pp. 233–247. doi: 10.1016/0165-0114(85)90090-9.
- Chang, D. Y. (1996) ‘Applications of the extent analysis method on fuzzy AHP’, European Journal of Operational Research, 95(3), pp. 649–655. doi: 10.1016/0377-2217(95)00300-2.
- Chang, T. H. and Wang, T. C. (2009) ‘Using the fuzzy multi-criteria decision making approach for measuring the possibility of successful knowledge management’, Information Sciences, 179(4), pp. 355–370. doi: 10.1016/j.ins.2008.10.012.
- Dailey, L. and Mumford, M. D. (2006) ‘Evaluative aspects of creative thought: Errors in appraising the implications of new ideas’, Creativity Research Journal, pp. 385–390. doi: 10.1207/s15326934crj1803_11.
- Davies, M. A. P. (1994) ‘A multicriteria decision model application for managing group decisions’, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 45(1), pp. 47–58. doi: 10.1057/jors.1994.6.
- Day, D. V. et al. (2014) ‘Advances in leader and leadership development: A review of 25 years of research and theory’, Leadership Quarterly. Elsevier Inc., 25(1), pp. 63–82. doi: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.11.004.
- Hemlin, S. (2009) ‘Creative knowledge environments: An interview study with group members and group leaders of university and industry r&d groups in biotechnology’, Creativity and Innovation Management, 18(4), pp. 278–285. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8691.2009.00533.x.
- van Laarhoven, P. J. M. and Pedrycz, W. (1983) ‘A fuzzy extension of Saaty’s priority theory’, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 11(1–3), pp. 229–241. doi: 10.1016/S0165-0114(83)80082-7.
- Mikhailov, L. (2003) ‘Deriving priorities from fuzzy pairwise comparison judgements’, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 134(3), pp. 365–385. doi: 10.1016/S0165-0114(02)00383-4.
- Mikhailov, L. (2004) ‘Group prioritization in the AHP by fuzzy preference programming method’, Computers and Operations Research, 31(2), pp. 293–301. doi: 10.1016/S0305-0548(03)00012-1.
- Mumford, M. D. et al. (1996) ‘Process-based measures of creative problem-solving skills: II. Information encoding’, Creativity Research Journal, 9(1), pp. 77–88. doi: 10.1207/s15326934crj0901_7.
- Mumford, M. D. et al. (2007) ‘Leader cognition in real-world settings: How do leaders think about crises?’, Leadership Quarterly, 18(6), pp. 515–543. doi: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2007.09.002.
- Mumford, M. D. et al. (2017) ‘Cognitive skills and leadership performance: The nine critical skills’, Leadership Quarterly. Elsevier Inc., 28(1), pp. 24–39. doi: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2016.10.012.
- Mumford, M. D., Medeiros, K. E. and Partlow, P. J. (2012) ‘Creative thinking: Processes, strategies, and knowledge’, Journal of Creative Behavior, 46(1), pp. 30–47. doi: 10.1002/jocb.003.
- NGUYEN, P.-H. et al. (2020) ‘A Grey MCDM Based on DEMATEL Model for Real Estate Evaluation and Selection Problems: A Numerical Example’, The Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 7(11), pp. 549–556. doi: 10.13106/jafeb.2020.vol7.no11.549.
- Nguyen, P. H., Tsai, J. F., Nguyen, H. P., et al. (2020) ‘Assessing the Unemployment Problem Using A Grey MCDM Model under COVID-19 Impacts: A Case Analysis from Vietnam’, Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business. Korea Distribution Science Association, 7(12), pp. 53–62. doi: 10.13106/JAFEB.2020.VOL7.NO12.053.
- Nguyen, P. H., Tsai, J. F., Kumar, V. A. G., et al. (2020) ‘Stock investment of agriculture companies in the Vietnam stock exchange market: An AHP integrated with GRA-TOPSIS-MOORA approaches’, Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business. Korea Distribution Science Association (KODISA), 7(7), pp. 113–121. doi: 10.13106/jafeb.2020.vol7.no7.113.
- Nguyen, P. H. (2021) ‘A Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process (FAHP) Based on SERVQUAL for Hotel Service Quality Management: Evidence from Vietnam’, Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business. Korea Distribution Science Association, 8(2), pp. 1101–1109. doi: 10.13106/jafeb.2021.vol8.no2.1101.
- NGUYEN, P. H. et al. (2020) ‘A Decision Support Model for Financial Performance Evaluation of Listed Companies in The Vietnamese Retailing Industry’, Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 7(12), pp. 1005–1015. doi: 10.13106/JAFEB.2020.VOL7.NO12.1005.
- Nixon, P., Harrington, M. and Parker, D. (2012) ‘Leadership performance is significant to project success or failure: A critical analysis’, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, pp. 204–216. doi: 10.1108/17410401211194699.
- Pant, P. N. and Starbuck, W. H. (1990) ‘Innocents in the Forest: Forecasting and Research Methods’, Journal of Management, 16(2), pp. 433–460. doi: 10.1177/014920639001600209.
- Reh, S., Van Quaquebeke, N. and Giessner, S. R. (2017) ‘The aura of charisma: A review on the embodiment perspective as signaling’, Leadership Quarterly. Elsevier Inc., 28(4), pp. 486–507. doi: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2017.01.001.
- Saaty, T. L. (1988) ‘What is the Analytic Hierarchy Process?’, in Mathematical Models for Decision Support, pp. 109–121. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-83555-1_5.
- Scott, G. M., Lonergan, D. C. and Mumford, M. D. (2005) ‘Conceptual combination: Alternative knowledge structures, alternative heuristics’, Creativity Research Journal, 17(1), pp. 79–98. doi: 10.1207/s15326934crj1701_7.
- Strange, J. M. and Mumford, M. D. (2005) ‘The origins of vision: Effects of reflection, models, and analysis’, Leadership Quarterly, 16(1), pp. 121–148. doi: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2004.07.006.
- Tsai, J. F. et al. (2021) ‘Analysis of key factors for supplier selection in taiwan’s thin-film transistor liquid-crystal displays industry’, Mathematics, 9(4), pp. 1–19. doi: 10.3390/math9040396.
- Wang, G. et al. (2011) ‘Transformational leadership and performance across criteria and levels: A meta-analytic review of 25 years of research’, Group and Organization Management, pp. 223–270. doi: 10.1177/1059601111401017.
- Watts, L. L. et al. (2017) ‘Leader idea evaluation and follower creativity: Challenges, constraints, and capabilities’, in Handbook of Research on Leadership and Creativity, pp. 82–99. doi: 10.4337/9781784715465.00012.
- Xie, Y. et al. (2018) ‘Leadership style and innovation atmosphere in enterprises: An empirical study’, Technological Forecasting and Social Change. doi: 10.1016/j.techfore.2018.05.017.
- Zaccaro, S. J. et al. (2015) ‘The influence of higher order cognitive capacities on leader organizational continuance and retention: The mediating role of developmental experiences’, Leadership Quarterly, 26(3), pp. 342–358. doi: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2015.03.007.
- Zadeh, L. A. (1975) ‘Fuzzy logic and approximate reasoning - In memory of Grigore Moisil’, Synthese, 30(3–4), pp. 407–428. doi: 10.1007/BF00485052.
- Article View: 226
- PDF Download: 195