Method and Motives for Naming Geographical Objects in Chinese and Western Cultures
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 4198-4202
AbstractPlace name is a symbol to describe geographic object. With the development and change of history, place name gradually gets strong national cultural characteristics. Comparing Chinese and Western place names, one can found that Chinese place names pay more attention to history and culture, while Western place names are more functional and pay more attention to rationality and practicality. This is related to the different historical and cultural backgrounds and national cultural psychology between China and the West.
- Bryson, B. (1990). Mother Tongue: English and how it got that way [M]. New York: William Morrowand Company, Inc.
- Deqing, L. (2002). A Study on the Taboo of Chinese Historical Place Names. East China Normal University Press..
- Fitzgerald, F. S. (2000). Trimalchio: An early version of the Great Gatsby. Cambridge.
- Harder, K. B. (1976). Illustrated dictionary of place names. United States & Canada, New-York: Van Nostrand.
- Jiucheng, S. (2015). Geographical Name Planning from the Perspective of Regional Culture [M]. Beijing: China Society Press.
- Jiyu, R. (2009). A Dictionary of Religions[M]. Shanghai: Shanghai Ci|5 Mountain Press.
- Junliang, D. (2005). A Great Dictionary of Chinese Ancient and Modern Place Names [Z]. Shanghai Cishu Publishing House.
- Ming, Y. (2018). The charm of Chinese geographical names "names of celebrities"[J]. Chinese geographical names.
- Ms. Nora Zilam Runera. (2014). Performance Analysis On Knowledge Management System on Project Management. International Journal of New Practices in Management and Engineering, 3(02), 08 - 13
- Qinghua, M. (2006). A Multidimensional Study of Semantics. Beijing: Chinese Press.
- Rulong, L. (1993). A Collection of Toponymy. Fujian Map Publishing House.
- State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping. The record of Chinese place names. (1983). China.
- Xilun, S. (2004). Chinese traditional culture and language[M]. Shanghai: Shanghai Education Press.
- Xinhua, W. (2007). Study on Taboo. Qilu Publishing House.
- Zhu Xiying, Z. (2004). Introduction to Chinese and Western Culture [M]. Beijing: Beijing Light Industry Press.
- Zizheng, S. (2002). Shanghai Place Names Under the Iron Hoof. Xinmin Evening News.
- Article View: 70
- PDF Download: 57