Document Type : Research Article
University of Buraimi, Al Buraimi, Sultanate of Oman
Many higher education institutions have committed to the sustainability issues, however still these commitments unable to result with desired changes. It is crucial to recognize the changes in the education system that enable the institutions to understand the concept of sustainability. From the content analysis for each GCC country (United Arab Emirates, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Sultanate of Oman, Kuwait and Kingdom of Bahrain), with selected 10 higher education institutions the authors found that only 5% of the universities opted to use sustainability in their mission statements. The extended analysis of the vision statements, institutional goals and values widened commitment to sustainable development to 11.5%. Analysis also showed that mostly UN Sustainable Development Goals 1, 8 and 9 are addressed. Higher education institutions of GCC are slowly incorporating sustainable development values into their strategic statements. Universities may take decade for the implication of sustainability development. The depiction of sustainability scenarios through various policy implementations and incentive measures would provide university scholars, leaders and government policy to strategize future developments.
- Amadei, B., Sandekian, R., Thomas, E. (2009). A Model for Sustainable Humanitarian Engineering Projects. Sustainability, 1, 1087–1105.
- Baumol, W. J., Litan, R. E., Schramm, C. J., Strom, R. J. (2011). Innovative Entrepreneurship and Policy: Toward Initiation and Preservation of Growth. In The Economics of Small Businesses: An International Perspective; Physica-Verlag Heidelberg: Heidelberg, Germany, 3–23.
- Betts, A., Bloom, L., Weaver, N. (2015). Refugee Innovation: Humanitarian Innovation that Starts with Communities; Humanitarian Innovation Project. University of Oxford: Oxford, UK.
- Beynaghi, A., Trencher, G., Moztarzadeh, F., Mozafari, M., Maknoon, M., Leal Filho, W. (2016). Future sustainability scenarios for universities: Moving beyond the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development. Journal of Cleaner Production, 112, 3464–3478.
- Brandt, K. L. (2010). Making Immigrant Integration Work: A Case Study of Refugee Resettlement in Philadelphia, PA; Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Urban Studies and Planning. Cambridge, MA, USA.
- Cai, Y. (2017). From an analytical framework for understanding the innovation process in higher education to an emerging research field of innovations in higher education. Review of Higher Education, 40, 585–616.
- Cebrián, G., Junyent, M., Mulà, I. (2020). Competencies in Education for Sustainable Development: Emerging Teaching and Research Developments. Sustainability, 12, 579.
- Cebrián, G., Segalàs, J. (2019). Assessment of sustainability competencies: a literature review and future pathways for ESD research and practice. Central European Review of Economics and Management, 3(3), 19–44.
- COPERNICUS-Guidelines for Sustainable Development in the European Higher Education Area. Retrieved from: http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/env/esd/information/COPERNICUS%20Guidelines.pdf
- Cortés-Sánchez, J. D., Rivera, L. (2019). Mission statements and financial performance in Latin-American firms. Business: Theory and Practice, 20, 270–283.
- Curaj, A., Paunica, M., Popa, A., Holeab, C., Jora, O. D. (2020). Sustainability Through Directed Change in the Visionary University: From Predicting to Producing the Future. Amfiteatru Economic, 22(55), 905-919.
- Duarte, R., Escario, J., Sanagustín, M.-V. (2017). The influence of the family, school and group on the environmental attitudes of European students. Environmental Education Research, 23, 23–42.
- Dr. Anasica S, Mrs. Sweta Batra. (2020). Analysing the Factors Involved In Risk Management in a Business. International Journal of New Practices in Management and Engineering, 9(03), 05 - 10.
- Esteban Ibáñez, M., Musitu Ferrer, D., Amador Muñoz, L. V., Claros, F. M., Olmedo Ruiz, F. J. (2020). University as Change Manager of Attitudes towards Environment (The Importance of Environmental Education). Sustainability, 12, 4568.
- Franco, I., Saito, O., Vaughter, P., Whereat, J., Kanie, N., Takemoto, K. (2019). Higher education for sustainable development: actioning the global goals in policy, curriculum and practice. Sustainability Science, 14(6), 1621–1642.
- García-Feijoo, M., Eizaguirre, A., Rica-Aspiunza, A. (2020). Systematic Review of Sustainable-Development-Goal Deployment in Business Schools. Sustainability, 12, 440.
- Haessler, P. (2020). Strategic Decisions between Short-Term Profit and Sustainability. Administrative Sciences, 10, 63.
- Hensley, N. (2017). The future of sustainability in higher education. Journal of Sustainability Education, 13.
- Holdsworth, S., Thomas, I. (2016). A sustainability education academic development framework (SEAD). Environmental Education Research, 22(8).
- Huis, M., Lensink, R., Vu, N., Hansen, N. (2019). Impacts of the Gender and Entrepreneurship Together Ahead (GET Ahead) training on empowerment of female microfinance borrowers in Northern Vietnam. World Development, 120, 46–61.
- Ikram, A., Li, Z. F., MacDonald, T. (2020). CEO Pay Sensitivity (Delta and Vega) and Corporate Social Responsibility. Sustainability, 12, 7941.
- Islam, M. M., Islam, N., Habib, A., Mozumder, M. M. H. (2020). Climate Change Impacts on a Tropical Fishery Ecosystem: Implications and Societal Responses. Sustainability, 12, 7970.
- Jackson, W. (1993). Becoming native to this place. Great Barrington, MA: E.F. Schumacher Society.
- Janmaimool, P., Khajohnmanee, S. (2019). Roles of Environmental System Knowledge in Promoting University Students’ Environmental Attitudes and Pro-Environmental Behaviors. Sustainability, 11, 4270.
- Kato, M. P., Kratzer, J. (2013). Empowering Women through Microfinance: Evidence from Tanzania. ACRN Journal of Social Entrepreneurship Perspectives, 2, 31–59.
- Khan, S. (2014). Comparison and Analysis of Leave System of Royal University Bhutan and Aligarh Muslim University with Respect to Improve the Leave Rules of Royal University of Bhutan. Integral Review: A Journal of Management, 7(1), 25–35.
- Khudyakova, T., Zhuravlyov, V., Varkova, N., Aliukov, S., Shmidt, S., Zhuravlyov, N. (2020). Improving Approaches to Strategic Enterprise Management in the Context of Sustainable Development. Sustainability, 12, 8375.
- Kopnina, H. (2020). Education for Sustainable Development Goals (ESDG): What Is Wrong with ESDGs, and What Can We Do Better? Education Sciences, 10, 261.
- Lin, Q., Huang, Y., Zhu, R., Zhang, Y. (2019). Comparative Analysis of Mission Statements of Chinese and American Fortune 500 Companies: A Study from the Perspective of Linguistics. Sustainability, 11, 4905.
- Lozano, R., Ceulemans, K., Alonso-Almeida, M., Huisingh, D., Lozano, F. J., Waas, T., Hugé, J. (2015). A review of commitment and implementation of sustainable development in higher education: Results from a worldwide survey. Journal of Cleaner Production, 108, 1–18.
- Mader, C., Scott, G., Abdul Razak, D. (2013). Effective change management, governance and policy for sustainability transformation in higher education. Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, 4(3), 264–284.
- Martin, B. C., McNally, J. J., Kay, M. J. (2013). Examining the formation of human capital in entrepreneurship: A meta-analysis of entrepreneurship education outcomes. Journal of Business Venturing, 28, 211–224.
- Ms. Nora Zilam Runera. (2014). Performance Analysis On Knowledge Management System on Project Management. International Journal of New Practices in Management and Engineering, 3(02), 08 - 13
- Molchanova, T. K., Yashalova, N. N., Ruban, D. A. (2020). Environmental Concerns of Russian Businesses: Top Company Missions and Climate Change Agenda. Climate, 8, 56.
- Owen, T. L. (2017). Higher education in the sustainable development goals framework. European Journal of Education, 52, 399–562.
- Peters, J., Simaens, A. (2020). Integrating Sustainability into Corporate Strategy: A Case Study of the Textile and Clothing Industry. Sustainability, 12, 6125.
- Piza, V., Aparicio, J., Rodríguez, C., Marín, R., Beltrán, J., Bedolla, R. (2018). Sustainability in Higher Education: A Didactic Strategy for Environmental Mainstreaming. Sustainability, 10, 4556.
- Rashid, L. (2018). Call Me a Business Owner, Not a Refugee!” Challenges of and Perspectives on Newcomer Entrepreneurship; Working Paper No.7. Center for International Governance Innovation, World Refugee Council: Waterloo, ON, Canada.
- Rashid, L. (2019). Entrepreneurship Education and Sustainable Development Goals: A literature Review and a Closer Look at Fragile States and Technology-Enabled Approaches. Sustainability, 11, 5343.
- Schwab, K., Sala-i-Martín, X. (2016). The global competitiveness report 2013–2014: Full data edition. World Economic Forum.
- Setó-Pamies, D., Papaoikonomou, E. (2016). A Multi-level Perspective for the Integration of Ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability (ECSRS) in Management Education. Journal of Business Ethics, 136, 523–538.
- Sisto, R., Sica, E., Cappelletti, G. M. (2020). Drafting the Strategy for Sustainability in Universities: A Backcasting Approach. Sustainability, 12(10), 4288.
- Soini, K., Jurgilevich, A., Pietikäinen, J., Korhonen-Kurki, K. (2018). Universities responding to the call for sustainability: A typology of sustainability centres. Journal of Cleaner Production, 170, 1423–1432.
- Sustainable Development Goals Report. (2020). United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. New York, NY, USA. Retrieved from: https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2020/
- Tilbury, D. (2011). Are we learning to change? Mapping global progress in education for sustainable development in the lead up to ‘Rio Plus 20’. Global Environmental Research, 14, 101–107.
- Trott, C. D., Weinberg, A. E., Sample McMeeking, L. B. (2018). Prefiguring Sustainability through Participatory Action Research Experiences for Undergraduates: Reflections and Recommendations for Student Development. Sustainability, 10, 3332.
- UN. (2015). Agenda for Sustainable Development. Resolution Adopted by the General Assembly on 25 September 2015 (A/70/L.1). Retrieved from: http://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld
- Universities in Asia. (2020). Retrieved from: https://www.4icu.org/Asia/
- Van Vuuren, D. P., Kok, M. T., Girod, B., Lucas, P. L., de Vries, B. (2012). Scenarios in global environmental assessments: key characteristics and lessons for future use. Global Environmental Change, 22(4), 884–895.
- Walter, S. G., Block, J. H. (2016). Outcomes of entrepreneurship education: An institutional perspective. Journal of Business Venturing, 31, 216–233.
- Wauters, B., Lambrecht, J. (2008). Barriers to Refugee Entrepreneurship in Belgium: Towards an Explanatory Model. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 34, 895–915.
- Yunis, M. S., Hashim, H., Anderson, A. R. (2019). Enablers and Constraints of Female Entrepreneurship in Khyber Pukhtunkhawa, Pakistan: Institutional and Feminist Perspectives. Sustainability, 11, 27.