How does Emotional Intelligence Impact Employee Performance? Validation of WEIP-S among Indian Professionals
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 4011-4020
AbstractEmotional Intelligence has been linked with many desirable performance outcomes, however the strength and nature of this impact has often been debated. Leading researchers advocate the use of specific, relevant and well established instruments in empirical research to study Emotional Intelligence at the workplace. To this end, the current work validates WEIP-S, a popular Emotional Intelligence measure which has been specifically tailored for use in organizational research for use among Indian respondents. Results of study 1 ( n = 253) and study 2 ( n=852 ) suggest that WEIP-S retains its original four factor structure and shows acceptable reliability when tested among working professionals from diverse economic sectors in India. Results of study 3 ( n=324) provide evidence for significant positive impact of Emotional Intelligence at the workplace, by linking WEIP-S scores to supervisor evaluations of performance. Additionally, results clarify the differential impact of the four dimensions of Emotional Intelligence on various aspects of employee performance.
- Benishek, L. E., & Lazzara, E. H. (2019). Teams in a New Era: Some Considerations and Implications. Frontiers in psychology, 10, 1006.
- Brito-Costa, S., Bem-Haja, P., Alberty, A., Gomes, A., Castro, F. V., & de Almeida, H. (2015). Portuguese version of workgroup emotional profile-short version (WEIP-S): Psychometric properties. International Journal of Developmental and Educational Psychology, 2
- Chadha NK (2001) How to measure your E.Q. in Dalip Singh (Ed.), “Emotional Intelligence at Work A. Professional Guide, New Delhi: Sage publications
- Côté, S. (2014). Emotional intelligence in organizations. Annu. Rev. Organ. Psychol. Organ. Behav., 1(1), 459-488.
- Cote, S., & Miners, C. T. (2006). Emotional intelligence, cognitive intelligence, and job performance. Administrative science quarterly, 51(1), 1-28.
- Dulewicz, V., & Higgs, M. (2000). Emotional intelligence–A review and evaluation study. Journal of managerial Psychology, 15(4), 341-372.
- Hu, L. T., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural equation modeling: a multidisciplinary journal, 6(1), 1-55.
- Hyde, A., Pethe, S., & Dhar, U. (2002). Manual for emotional intelligence scale. Lucknow: Vedant Publications..
- Jensen, S., Kohn, C., Rilea, S., Hannon, R., & Howells, G. (2007). Emotional intelligence: A literature review. Department of Psychology: University of the Pacific.
- Jordan, P. J., & Troth, A. C. (2004). Managing emotions during team problem solving: Emotional intelligence and conflict resolution. Human performance, 17(2), 195-218.
- Jordan, P. J., Ashkanasy, N. M., Härtel, C. E., & Hooper, G. S. (2002). Workgroup emotional intelligence: Scale development and relationship to team process effectiveness and goal focus. Human resource management review, 12(2), 195-214.
- Jordan, P. J., Murray, J. P., & Lawrence, S. A. (2009). The application of emotional intelligence in industrial and organizational psychology. In Assessing emotional intelligence (pp. 171-190). Springer, Boston, MA.
- Joseph, D.L., & Newman, D.A. (2010). Emotional Intelligence: An Integrative Meta-Analysis and Cascading Model. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(1), 54-78
- Kotsou, I., Mikolajczak, M., Heeren, A., Grégoire, J., & Leys, C. (2019). Improving emotional intelligence: a systematic review of existing work and future challenges. Emotion Review, 11(2), 151-165.
- Landy, F. J. (2005). Some historical and scientific issues related to research on emotional intelligence. Journal of organizational Behavior, 26(4), 411-424.
- Lopes, P. N., Grewal, D., Kadis, J., Gall, M., & Salovey, P. (2006). Evidence that emotional intelligence is related to job performance and affect and attitudes at work. Psicothema, 18, 132-138.
- Lopez-Zafra, E.,Martos,M. P., BerriosMartos,M. P., & Augusto-Landa, J. M. (2012). Psychometric properties of the Spanish version of the work group emotional intelligence profile-short version. Psicothema, 24, 495–502.
- Marchena-Giráldez, C., Acebes-Sánchez, J., Román, F. J., & Granado-Peinado, M. (2021). Validation of the Spanish Version of the Work Group Emotional Intelligence Profile Short Version (WEIP-S) in the Sports Context. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(2), 715. MDPI AG. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18020715
- Marton-Williams, J. (1986), “Questionnaire Design, Chapter 5”, In: Worcester, Robert and Downham, John, Consumer Market Research Handbook, 3 rd Edition, London, McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Mavroveli, S., Petrides, K. V., Rieffe, C., & Bakker, F. (2007). Trait emotional intelligence, psychological well‐being and peer‐rated social competence in adolescence. British journal of developmental psychology, 25(2), 263-275.
- Mayer, J. D., & Salovey, P. (1997). What is emotional intelligence. Emotional development and emotional intelligence: Educational implications, 3, 31
- Mayer, J. D., Salovey, P., Caruso, D. R., & Sitarenios, G. (2003). Measuring emotional intelligence with the MSCEIT V2. 0. Emotion, 3(1), 97.
- Miao, C., Humphrey, R. H., & Qian, S. (2017). A meta‐analysis of emotional intelligence and work attitudes. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 90(2), 177-202
- Michinov, E., & Michinov, N. (2020). When emotional intelligence predicts team performance: Further validation of the short version of the Workgroup Emotional Intelligence Profile. Current Psychology, 1-14.
- Moon, S. (2011). East meets west: The cultural-relativity of emotional intelligence. University of Toronto.
- O'Connor, P. J., Hill, A., Kaya, M., & Martin, B. (2019). The measurement of emotional intelligence: A critical review of the literature and recommendations for researchers and practitioners. Frontiers in psychology, 10, 1116.
- Palmer, B., Donaldson, C., & Stough, C. (2002). Emotional intelligence and life satisfaction. Personality and individual differences, 33(7), 1091-1100.
- Revilla, M. A., Saris, W. E., & Krosnick, J. A. (2014). Choosing the number of categories in agree–disagree scales. Sociological Methods & Research, 43(1), 73-97.
- Rosete, D., & Ciarrochi, J. (2005). Emotional intelligence and its relationship to workplace performance outcomes of leadership effectiveness. Leadership & Organization Development Journal.
- Salguero, J. M., Palomera, R., & Fernández-Berrocal, P. (2012). Perceived emotional intelligence as predictor of psychological adjustment in adolescents: a 1-year prospective study. European journal of psychology of education, 27(1), 21-34.
- Schutte, N. S., Malouff, J. M., Hall, L. E., Haggerty, D. J., Cooper, J. T., Golden, C. J., & Dornheim, L. (1998). Development and validation of a measure of emotional intelligence. Personality and individual differences, 25(2), 167-177.
- Siegling, A. B., Saklofske, D. H., and Petrides, K. V. (2015). Measures of ability and trait emotional intelligence. Measures of Personality and Social Psychological Constructs, eds G. J. Boyle, G. Matthews, and D. H. Saklofske (San Diego, CA: Academic Press), 381–414.
- Singh, S. (2004). Development of a measure of emotional intelligence. Psychological Studies-University of Calicut, 49, 136-141.v1.324.
- Van Rooy, D. L., & Viswesvaran, C. (2004). Emotional intelligence: A meta-analytic investigation of predictive validity and nomological net. Journal of vocational Behavior, 65(1), 71-95.
- Van Rooy, D. L., Viswesvaran, C., & Pluta, P. (2005). An evaluation of construct validity: What is this thing called emotional intelligence?. Human Performance, 18(4), 445-462.
- Vashisht, P., & Dubey, J. D. (2018). Changing task contents of jobs in India: Implications and way forward (No. 355). Working Paper.
- Wong, C. S., & Law, K. S. (2002). The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study. The leadership quarterly, 13(3), 243-274.
- Wong, C. S., Law, K. S., & Wong, P. M. (2004). Development and validation of a forced choice emotional intelligence measure for Chinese respondents in Hong Kong. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 21(4), 535-559.
- Zehndorfer, E. (2013). Leadership: A Critical Introduction (1st ed.). Routledge.
- Article View: 225
- PDF Download: 473