Effect of Intracanal Medicaments On MMP-9 And VIP Levels
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 4006-4010
AbstractRoot canal treatment is incomplete without usage of intra canal medicaments. They help in the reduction of bacterial count and its by-products, making canals clean and decreasing postoperative pains. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of calcium hydroxide (Ca [OH]2) and triple antibiotic paste on matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) and vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP). Thirty single rooted teeth with periapical lesions which require root canal treatment were randomly divided into 2 groups; Group 1- calcium hydroxide and Group 2- triple antibiotic paste. After access opening and working length determination, cleaning and shaping of the root canals were done and intracanal dressing was given. In the second appointment, medicaments were removed, and sampling was performed by collecting the interstitial fluid of the apical tissues by paper points to assess the MMP-9 and VIP levels. The MMP-9 and VIP levels were measured by the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. The concentration of MMP - 9 on Ca(OH)2 and TAP was 27.3pg/ml and 29.2pg/ml and VIP on Ca(OH)2 and TAP was 27.9pg/ml and 28.4pg/ml. There was no statistically significant difference between the intracanal medicament on the MMP-9 and VIP (p>0.05), proving that type of intracanal medicament does not influence MMP 9 and VIP levels.
- Lundberg P, Lie A, Bjurholm A, Lehenkari PP, Horton MA, Lerner UH, et al. Vasoactive intestinal peptide regulates osteoclast activity via specific binding sites on both osteoclasts and osteoblasts. Bone. 2000 Dec;27(6):803–10.
- De la Fuente M, Delgado M, Gomariz RP. VIP modulation of immune cell functions. Adv Neuroimmunol. 1996;6(1):75–91.
- Danin J. Factors Associated with Healing of Periradicular Lesions. 2003. 56 p.
- Márton IJ, Kiss C. Overlapping protective and destructive regulatory pathways in apical periodontitis. J Endod. 2014 Feb;40(2):155–63.
- Colić M, Lukić A, Vucević D, Milosavljević P, Majstorović I, Marjanović M, et al. Correlation between phenotypic characteristics of mononuclear cells isolated from human periapical lesions and their in vitro production of Th1 and Th2 cytokines. Arch Oral Biol. 2006 Dec;51(12):1120–30.
- Rajendra Jangde. Matrix metalloproteinase: An overview. Research J. Science and Tech. 2011; 3(6): 301-307 .
- Herrera DR, Silva EJNL, Santos CC, Zaia AA, Ferraz CCR, Almeida JFA, et al. Root canal content from primary endodontic infection and upregulation of gelatinases in fibroblast cells. Int Endod J. 2015 Dec;48(12):1168–74.
- G. Lokhasudhan, Ajitha. P. Role of Antibiotics as Intracanal Medicament – A Literature Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(4): 1691-1696. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00315.3
- SJöGREN U, Figdor D, Spångberg L, Sundqvist G. The antimicrobial effect of calcium hydroxide as a short-term intracanal dressing [Internet]. Vol. 24, International Endodontic Journal. 1991. p. 119–25. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.1991.tb00117.x
- Han G, Park S, Yoon T. Antimicrobial Activity of Ca(OH)2 Containing Pastes with Enterococcus faecalis In Vitro [Internet]. Vol. 27, Journal of Endodontics. 2001. p. 328–32. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200105000-00004
- Lavanya. E, Jayalakshmi, S Delphine Priscilla Antony. Intracanal Medicaments in Revascularization-A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(6): 2672-2676.
- Paula-Silva FWG, da Silva LAB, Kapila YL. Matrix metalloproteinase expression in teeth with apical periodontitis is differentially modulated by the modality of root canal treatment. J Endod. 2010 Feb;36(2):231–7.
- Ballal V, Rao S, Bagheri A, Bhat V, Attin T, Zehnder M. MMP-9 in Dentinal Fluid Correlates with Caries Lesion Depth. Caries Res. 2017 Aug 22;51(5):460–5.
- Barbosa-Ribeiro M, Arruda-Vasconcelos R, de-Jesus-Soares A, Zaia AA, Ferraz CCR, de Almeida JFA, et al. Effectiveness of calcium hydroxide-based intracanal medication on infectious/inflammatory contents in teeth with post-treatment apical periodontitis. Clin Oral Investig. 2019 Jun;23(6):2759–66.
- Ramarao S, Sathyanarayanan U. CRA Grid - A preliminary development and calibration of a paper-based objectivization of caries risk assessment in undergraduate dental education. J Conserv Dent. 2019 Mar;22(2):185–90.
- Poorni S, Srinivasan MR, Nivedhitha MS. Probiotic strains in caries prevention: A systematic review. J Conserv Dent. 2019 Mar;22(2):123–8.
- Manohar MP, Sharma S. A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists. Indian J Dent Res. 2018 Nov;29(6):716–20.
- Azeem RA, Sureshbabu NM. Clinical performance of direct versus indirect composite restorations in posterior teeth: A systematic review. J Conserv Dent. 2018 Jan;21(1):2–9.
- Jenarthanan S, Subbarao C. Comparative evaluation of the efficacy of diclofenac sodium administered using different delivery routes in the management of endodontic pain: A randomized controlled clinical trial. J Conserv Dent. 2018 May;21(3):297–301.
- Nandakumar M, Nasim I. Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis. J Conserv Dent. 2018 Sep;21(5):516–20.
- Malli Sureshbabu N, Selvarasu K, V JK, Nandakumar M, Selvam D. Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases. Case Rep Dent. 2019 Jan 22;2019:7046203.
- Siddique R, Nivedhitha MS, Jacob B. Quantitative analysis for detection of toxic elements in various irrigants, their combination (precipitate), and para-chloroaniline: An inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry study. J Conserv Dent. 2019 Jul;22(4):344–50.
- Teja KV, Ramesh S, Priya V. Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study. J Conserv Dent. 2018 Nov;21(6):592–6.
- Rajakeerthi R, Ms N. Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth – A Systematic Review. Cumhuriyet Dental Journal. 2019 Jun 11;22(2):249–56.
- Siddique R, Nivedhitha MS. Effectiveness of rotary and reciprocating systems on microbial reduction: A systematic review. J Conserv Dent. 2019 Mar;22(2):114–22.
- Janani K, Sandhya R. A survey on skills for cone beam computed tomography interpretation among endodontists for endodontic treatment procedure. Indian J Dent Res. 2019 Nov;30(6):834–8.
- Siddique R, Sureshbabu NM, Somasundaram J, Jacob B, Selvam D. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi. J Conserv Dent. 2019 Jan;22(1):40–7.
- Rajendran R, Kunjusankaran RN, Sandhya R, Anilkumar A, Santhosh R, Patil SR. Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study. Pesqui Bras Odontopediatria Clin Integr. 2019;19(1):1–10.
- Govindaraju L, Neelakantan P, Gutmann JL. Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements. Clin Oral Investig. 2017 Mar;21(2):567–71.
- Khandelwal A, Palanivelu A. Correlation Between Dental Caries And Salivary Albumin In Adult Population In Chennai: An In Vivo Study. BDS. 2019 Apr 30;22(2):228–33.
- Caviedes-Bucheli J, Azuero-Holguín MM, Moreno GC, González IL, Mateu E, Salazar JF, et al. Vasoactive intestinal peptide receptor expression in chronic periapical lesions [Internet]. Vol. 40, International Endodontic Journal. 2007. p. 521–5. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2007.01250.x
- Jiang J, Zuo J, Chen S-H, Shannon Holliday L. Calcium hydroxide reduces lipopolysaccharide-stimulated osteoclast formation [Internet]. Vol. 95, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology. 2003. p. 348–54. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1067/moe.2003.18
- Comparative Evaluation of Stability and Anti Bacterial Activity of various concentrations of triple antibiotic paste against Streptococcus salivarius – An in-vitro study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(4):1327-1330.
- Zehnder M, Wegehaupt FJ, Attin T. A First Study on the Usefulness of Matrix Metalloproteinase 9 from Dentinal Fluid to Indicate Pulp Inflammation [Internet]. Vol. 37, Journal of Endodontics. 2011. p. 17–20. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2010.10.003
- Vassiliou E, Jiang X, Delgado M, Ganea D. TH2 Lymphocytes Secrete Functional VIP upon Antigen Stimulation [Internet]. Vol. 109, Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry. 2001. p. 365–8. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1076/apab.109.4.365.4245
- Ferraz C, Dealmeidagomes B, Zaia A, Teixeira F, Desouzafilho F. In Vitro Assessment of the Antimicrobial Action and the Mechanical Ability of Chlorhexidine Gel as an Endodontic Irrigant [Internet]. Vol. 27, Journal of Endodontics. 2001. p. 452–5. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200107000-00004
- Buck R, Cai J, Eleazer P, Staat R, Hurst H. Detoxification of Endotoxin by Endodontic Irrigants and Calcium Hydroxide [Internet]. Vol. 27, Journal of Endodontics. 2001. p. 325–7. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200105000-00003
- Article View: 128
- PDF Download: 99