Association of Dental Caries Based on Frequency of Tooth Brushing Habit - A Retrospective Study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3491-3499
AbstractBackground: Tooth brushing is one of the fundamental self-care behaviors seen in an individual. It is important for one's oral health and its maintenance. Dental caries is an infectious disease that damages tooth structure and causes cavities.
Aim: The aim of this study is to evaluate the association of dental caries based on the frequency of tooth brushing in individuals.
Materials and method: Data was collected retrospectively from the dental records of patients visiting saveetha dental college. Patient gender, carious tooth, frequency of brushing and toothpaste used was collected by reviewing the case sheets. The obtained data was entered in MS excel spreadsheet and imported to spss for statistical analysis. Chi square test was applied and level of significance was set p<0.05.
The results proved that 76.1% of the individuals brushed once daily and 23.9% of the individuals brushed twice a day .The prevalence of usage of fluoride containing toothpaste was 46.8% .There was a significant association between frequency of tooth brushing habit and DMFT score (p<0.05) .Individuals who had brushed twice a day with fluoride containing toothpaste , showed lesser DMFT scores indicating the decreased incidence of dental caries.
Conclusion: Within the limits of the study, it can be concluded that individuals with the lesser frequency of brushing habit and using non-fluoridated toothpaste had increased DMFT scores.
- Andlaw, R. J. (1978) ‘Oral hygiene and dental caries--a review’, International dental journal, 28(1), pp. 1–6. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/346493.
- Attin, T. and Hornecker, E. (2005) ‘Tooth brushing and oral health: how frequently and when should tooth brushing be performed?’, Oral health & preventive dentistry, 3(3), pp. 135–140. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16355646.
- Benson, P. E. et al. (2019) ‘Fluorides for preventing early tooth decay (demineralised lesions) during fixed brace treatment’, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. doi: 10.1002/14651858.cd003809.pub4.
- Borgnakke, W. S. and Brignardello-Petersen, R. (2017) ‘Insufficient evidence to claim that more frequent toothbrushing reduces the risk of developing new caries’, Journal of the American Dental Association , p. e1. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2016.11.024.
- Burkett, H. N. (1995) ‘Fluorides and Oral HealthFluorides and Oral Health, Report of a WHO Expert Committee on Oral Health Status and Fluoride Use, WHO Technical Report Series 846, World HealGeneva, Switzerland, 1994, Sw fr 8, ISBN 92-4-120846-5’, Annals of Saudi Medicine, pp. 297–297. doi: 10.5144/0256-4947.1995.297b.
- Calderón Larrañaga, S. et al. (2019) ‘[Primary Care and oral health promotion: Assessment of an educational intervention in school children]’, Atencion primaria / Sociedad Espanola de Medicina de Familia y Comunitaria, 51(7), pp. 416–423. doi: 10.1016/j.aprim.2018.05.003.
- Christabel, S. L. and Linda Christabel, S. (2015) ‘Prevalence of Type of Frenal Attachment and Morphology of Frenum in Children, Chennai, Tamil Nadu’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 203–207. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1343.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dos Santos, A. P. P., de Oliveira, B. H. and Nadanovsky, P. (2018) ‘A systematic review of the effects of supervised toothbrushing on caries incidence in children and adolescents’, International journal of paediatric dentistry / the British Paedodontic Society [and] the International Association of Dentistry for Children, 28(1), pp. 3–11. doi: 10.1111/ipd.12334.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730. doi: 10.1002/ddr.21571.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295. doi: 10.1097/ID.0000000000000885.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64. doi: 10.1016/j.ajg.2018.03.002.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121. doi: 10.1111/jop.12806.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197. doi: 10.1016/j.hbpd.2018.04.003.
- Fanning, E. A. et al. (1968) ‘The effects of fluoride dentifrices on the incidence and distribution of stained tooth surfaces in children’, Archives of oral biology, 13(4), pp. 467–469. doi: 10.1016/0003-9969(68)90172-6.
- ‘Fluoride, Fluoridated Toothpaste Efficacy And Its Safety In Children - Review’ (2018) International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. doi: 10.31838/ijpr/2018.10.04.017.
- Ghazal, T. S. A. (no date) ‘Prevalence, Incidence and Risk Factors for Early Childhood Caries Among Young African-American Children in Alabama’. doi: 10.17077/etd.lq79t042.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702. doi: 10.1177/0960327119839173.
- Gil, G. S. et al. (2015) ‘Reliability of self-reported toothbrushing frequency as an indicator for the assessment of oral hygiene in epidemiological research on caries in adolescents: a cross-sectional study’, BMC medical research methodology, 15, p. 14. doi: 10.1186/s12874-015-0002-5.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Govindaraju, L. and Gurunathan, D. (2017) ‘Effectiveness of Chewable Tooth Brush in Children-A Prospective Clinical Study’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), pp. ZC31–ZC34. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2017/24238.9528.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017a) ‘Comparison of quality of obturation and instrumentation time using hand files and two rotary file systems in primary molars: A single-blinded randomized controlled trial’, European journal of dentistry, 11(3), pp. 376–379. doi: 10.4103/ejd.ejd_345_16.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017b) ‘Knowledge and practice of rotary instrumentation in primary teeth among indian dentists: A questionnaire survey’, Journal of International Oral Health, p. 45. doi: 10.4103/jioh.jioh_4_17.
- Gurunathan, D. and Shanmugaavel, A. K. (2016) ‘Dental neglect among children in Chennai’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 34(4), pp. 364–369. doi: 10.4103/0970-4388.191420.
- Han, K. and Park, J.-B. (2017) ‘Association between oral health behavior and periodontal disease among Korean adults: The Korea national health and nutrition examination survey’, Medicine, 96(7), p. e6176. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000006176.
- Holmes, R. D. (2016) ‘Tooth brushing frequency and risk of new carious lesions’, Evidence-based dentistry, pp. 98–99. doi: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6401196.
- Hölttä, P. and Alaluusua, S. (2009) ‘Effect of supervised use of a fluoride toothpaste on caries incidence in pre-school children’, International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 145–149. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-263x.1992.tb00027.x.
- Jeevanandan, G. (2017) ‘Kedo-S Paediatric Rotary Files for Root Canal Preparation in Primary Teeth – Case Report’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2017/25856.9508.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jones, S. et al. (2005) ‘The effective use of fluorides in public health’, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 83(9), pp. 670–676. doi: /S0042-96862005000900012.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534. doi: 10.1111/cid.12609.
- Komuro, T. (1980) ‘Effect of Instruction in Tooth-brushing on Brushing Movement Control’, JOURNAL OF DENTAL HEALTH, pp. 356–370. doi: 10.5834/jdh.30.356.
- Kumar, S., Tadakamadla, J. and Johnson, N. W. (2016) ‘Effect of Toothbrushing Frequency on Incidence and Increment of Dental Caries: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis’, Journal of dental research, 95(11), pp. 1230–1236. doi: 10.1177/0022034516655315.
- Levy, S. M. (1994) ‘Review of fluoride exposures and ingestion’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 22(3), pp. 173–180. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.1994.tb01836.x.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203. doi: 10.1155/2019/7046203.
- Manz, A. S. et al. (2019) ‘Dentin tubule obturation of a bioglass-based dentin desensitizer under repeated exposure to lactid acid and brushing’, BMC Oral Health. doi: 10.1186/s12903-019-0962-7.
- Marinho, V. C. C. et al. (2003) ‘Topical fluoride (toothpastes, mouthrinses, gels or varnishes) for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents’, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. doi: 10.1002/14651858.cd002782.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2019.05.028.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nair, M. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of post-operative pain after pulpectomy with k-files, kedo-s files and mtwo files in deciduous molars -a randomized clinical trial’, Brazilian Dental Science, p. 411. doi: 10.14295/bds.2018.v21i4.1617.
- Packiri, S. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2017/28498.10622.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. (2019) ‘Comparison of instrumentation time and obturation quality between hand K-file, H-files, and rotary Kedo-S in root canal treatment of primary teeth: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 75–79. doi: 10.4103/JISPPD.JISPPD_72_18.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472. doi: 10.1007/s40368-019-00429-5.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_132_18.
- Prasad, M. (2016) ‘The Clinical Effectiveness of Post- Brushing Rinsing in Reducing Plaque and Gingivitis: A Systematic Review’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2016/16960.7708.
- Prasai Dixit, L. et al. (2013) ‘Dental caries prevalence, oral health knowledge and practice among indigenous Chepang school children of Nepal’, BMC oral health, 13, p. 20. doi: 10.1186/1472-6831-13-20.
- Priyadarshini, P. et al. (2020) ‘Clinical evaluation of instrumentation time and quality of obturation using paediatric hand and rotary file systems with conventional hand K-files for pulpectomy in primary mandibular molars: a double-blinded randomized controlled trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry. doi: 10.1007/s40368-020-00518-w.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95. doi: 10.1016/j.enzmictec.2018.06.009.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531. doi: 10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2019.111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550. doi: 10.1007/s00784-018-2775-5.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172. doi: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2019.02.037.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248. doi: 10.1002/JPER.17-0445.
- Rasines, G. (2010) ‘Fluoride toothpaste prevents caries in children and adolescents at fluoride concentrations of 1000 ppm and above’, Evidence-based dentistry, pp. 6–7. doi: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6400698.
- Ravikumar, D., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017) ‘Evaluation of knowledge among general dentists in treatment of traumatic injuries in primary teeth: A cross-sectional questionnaire study’, European journal of dentistry, 11(2), pp. 232–237. doi: 10.4103/ejd.ejd_357_16.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60. doi: 10.1111/jphd.12348.
- Schenkel, A. B. (2019) ‘How does fluoride toothpaste compare with non-fluoride toothpaste for preventing dental caries in adults?’, Cochrane Clinical Answers. doi: 10.1002/cca.2547.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2019.06.033.
- Sheiham, A. (1984) ‘Changing trends in dental caries’, International journal of epidemiology, 13(2), pp. 142–147. doi: 10.1093/ije/13.2.142.
- Somasundaram, S. et al. (2015) ‘Fluoride Content of Bottled Drinking Water in Chennai, Tamilnadu’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(10), pp. ZC32–4. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2015/14691.6594.
- Sonoda, C. et al. (2017) ‘Dental caries experience, rather than toothbrushing, influences the incidence of dental caries in young Japanese adults’, Community dental health, 34(2), pp. 118–121. doi: 10.1922/CDH_4073Sonoda04.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306. doi: 10.1111/jop.12835.
- Subramanyam, D. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of salivary malondialdehyde levels as a marker of lipid peroxidation in early childhood caries’, European Journal of Dentistry, pp. 067–070. doi: 10.4103/ejd.ejd_266_17.
- Tanaka, K., Miyake, Y. and Sasaki, S. (2010) ‘Intake of dairy products and the prevalence of dental caries in young children’, Journal of Dentistry, pp. 579–583. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2010.04.009.
- Tinanoff, N. (2017) ‘Individuals Who Brush Their Teeth Infrequently May Be at Greater Risk for New Carious Lesions’, The journal of evidence-based dental practice, pp. 51–52. doi: 10.1016/j.jebdp.2017.01.010.
- Twetman, S. (2009) ‘Caries prevention with fluoride toothpaste in children: an update’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 162–167. doi: 10.1007/bf03262678.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450. doi: 10.21815/JDE.019.054.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448. doi: 10.1002/JPER.18-0673.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59. doi: 10.1111/scd.12267.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2017.12.020.
- Walsh, T. et al. (2009) ‘Fluoride toothpastes of different concentrations for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents’, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. doi: 10.1002/14651858.cd007868.
- Article View: 247
- PDF Download: 83