Assessment of Dental Caries and Periodontal Status Among Patients with Dental Fluorosis Visiting A Dental College, Chennai.
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3475-3482
AbstractFluoride (F) is known to be one of the various chemicals that have proven to leave substantial effects to the human body especially through our drinking water. This chemical can be described as a double edged sword since in its deficiency, it enables the formation of dental caries while in excess, it can result in both dental and skeletal fluorosis. The aim of this study was to analyse both the dental caries and periodontal status in dental fluorosis patients. A total of 182 patients who were diagnosed with dental fluorosis was evaluated. Their age, gender, DMFT index and periodontal status was obtained from the patient records from the institution between June 2019 to March 2020. Results were analysed and compared using the SPSS Statistical Software by doing both the frequency tests and correlation tests (Chi-square test). In this study, we observed that there is negative association between dental caries (p=0.70) and the periodontal status (p=0.20) with dental fluorosis. Within the limits of the study, there is no significant association between the severity of dental caries and periodontal status with dental fluorosis. However, dental fluorosis is at a higher prevalence in males and at an age group of 21-25 years old.
- Abanto Alvarez, J. et al. (2009) ‘Dental fluorosis: exposure, prevention and management’, Medicina oral, patologia oral y cirugia bucal, 14(2), pp. E103–7.
- Ardu, S., Stavridakis, M. and Krejci, I. (2007) ‘A minimally invasive treatment of severe dental fluorosis’, Quintessence international , 38(6), pp. 455–458.
- Burgstahler, A. W. (1965) ‘Dental and Medical Aspects of Fluoridated Drinking Water’, Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science (1903-), p. 223. doi: 10.2307/3626478.
- Chopra, A. et al. (2016) ‘A cross-sectional study to assess the effect of dental fluorosis on periodontal status’, Journal of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry, p. 150. doi: 10.4103/2319-5932.183818.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Dubey, H. et al. (2015) ‘Prevalence of dental fluorosis among 12–15 years school children of Bharatpur city: A cross-sectional study’, Journal of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry, p. 405. doi: 10.4103/2319-5932.171194.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Elfaki, N., Elsheikh, A., Assiry, A. (2018) ‘Dental fluorosis prevails among primary schools’ students in Najran- Saudi Arabia’, Merit Research Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, 6(33), pp. 121–125.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Fomon, S. J., Ekstrand, J. and Ziegler, E. E. (2000) ‘Fluoride Intake and Prevalence of Dental Fluorosis: Trends in Fluoride Intake with Special Attention to Infants: REVIEW & COMMENTARY’, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, pp. 131–139. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-7325.2000.tb03318.x.
- Freitas, C. H. S. de M. et al. (2013) ‘[Methodological discussion about prevalence of the dental fluorosis on dental health surveys]’, Revista de saude publica, 47 Suppl 3, pp. 138–147.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Harini, G. and Leelavathi, L. (2019) ‘Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Smoking Cessation-An Overview’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 3588. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.04144.5.
- Haritash, A. K. et al. (2018) ‘Assessment of fluoride in groundwater and urine, and prevalence of fluorosis among school children in Haryana, India’, Applied Water Science. doi: 10.1007/s13201-018-0691-0.
- Idon, P. I. and Enabulele, J. E. (2018) ‘Prevalence, severity, and request for treatment of dental fluorosis among adults in an endemic region of Northern Nigeria’, European journal of dentistry, 12(2), pp. 184–190.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kannan, S. S. D. et al. (2017) ‘AWARENESS AND ATTITUDE TOWARDS MASS DISASTER AND ITS MANAGEMENT AMONG HOUSE SURGEONS IN A DENTAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL IN CHENNAI, INDIA’, Disaster Management and Human Health Risk V. doi: 10.2495/dman170121.
- Khatri, S. G. et al. (2019) ‘Retention of moisture-tolerant fluoride-releasing sealant and amorphous calcium phosphate-containing sealant in 6-9-year-old children: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 92–98.
- Kola, S., Mallela, M., Puppala, R., Kethenaeni, B., Tharasingh, P., Reddy, V. (2019) ‘Prevalence of dental caries and dental fluorosis among 6-12 years old school children in relation to fluoride concentration in an endemic fluoride belt of Mahabubnagar district, Telangana state, India’, Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences, 8(1), p. 29.
- Krook, L. et al. (1983) ‘Dental fluorosis in cattle’, The Cornell veterinarian, 73(4), pp. 340–362.
- Kumar, R. P., Pradeep Kumar, R. and Preethi, R. (2017) ‘Assessment of Water Quality and Pollution of Porur, Chembarambakkam and Puzhal Lake’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2157. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00380.8.
- Kumar, R. P., Pradeep Kumar, R. and Vijayalakshmi, B. (2017) ‘Assessment of Fluoride Concentration in Ground Water in Madurai District, Tamil Nadu, India’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 309. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00063.4.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mane, A.B., Revathi, S.V., Savale, P., Paul, C.N., & Hiremath, S.G. (2011) ‘Study of dental fluorosis among primary school children residing in rural area of Raichur District, Karnataka’, Medicinal chemistry research: an international journal for rapid communications on design and mechanisms of action of biologically active agents, 2(3), pp. 716–720.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations. doi: 10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mohapatra, S. et al. (2019) ‘Assessment of Microhardness of Enamel Carious Like Lesions After Treatment with Nova Min, Bio Min and Remin Pro Containing Toothpastes: An in Vitro Study’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 375. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.02832.8.
- Neralla, M. et al. (2019) ‘Role of nutrition in rehabilitation of patients following surgery for oral squamous cell carcinoma’, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, pp. 3197–3203. doi: 10.26452/ijrps.v10i4.1622.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pavithra, R. P., Preethi Pavithra, R. and Jayashri, P. (2019) ‘Influence of Naturally Occurring Phytochemicals on Oral Health’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3979. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2019.00685.1.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Srisakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I., Kumar, R. and Srisakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of retention, cariostatic effect and discoloration of conventional and hydrophilic sealants - A single blinded randomized split mouth clinical trial’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 233. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_132_18.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Sakthi, D. S. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of the Viscosity and Length of Resin Tags of Conventional and Hydrophilic Pit and Fissure Sealants on Permanent Molars: An Study’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(3), pp. 388–394.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I., Kumar, R. and Sakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparing the effectiveness of probiotic, green tea, and chlorhexidine- and fluoride-containing dentifrices on oral microbial flora: A double-blind, randomized clinical trial’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 560. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_659_18.
- Prabakar, J., John, J. and Srisakthi, D. (2016) ‘Prevalence of dental caries and treatment needs among school going children of Chandigarh’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 27(5), pp. 547–552.
- Pratha, A. A., Ashwatha Pratha, A. and Prabakar, J. (2019) ‘Comparing the effect of Carbonated and energy drinks on salivary pH- In Vivo Randomized Controlled Trial’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4699. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2019.00809.6.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Reddy, D. B., Mallikharjunarao, C. and Sarada, D. (1969) ‘Endemic fluorosis’, Journal of the Indian Medical Association, 53(6), pp. 275–281.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020a) ‘School Interventions–based Prevention of Early‐Childhood Caries among 3–5‐year‐old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two‐year randomized trial’, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, pp. 51–60. doi: 10.1111/jphd.12348.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020b) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vazirani, S. J. and Singh, A. (1968) ‘Endemic fluorosis. Radiological features of dental fluorosis’, Journal of the Indian Dental Association, 40(11), pp. 299–303.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 224
- PDF Download: 100