Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospital,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences (SIMATS), Saveetha University,
2 Senior lecturer,Department of Public Health Dentistry,Saveetha Dental College and Hospital, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences (SIMATS),Saveetha University,
3 Professor,Department of Orthodontics,Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals , Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences (SIMATS),Saveetha University,
Various models for predicting caries risk have been developed with good results. One such recently developed model is Cariogram. Cariogram systematize the evaluation of various risk factors for caries and recommend targeted preventive intervention based on caries risk. The aim of this study was to evaluate the caries risk among 15-40 years adults in Chennai. A retrospective study was conducted using records of patients visiting private dental college during the month of Feb 2020 to March 2020. A total of 112 case records were retrieved and analysed. Descriptive statistics in terms of frequency distribution was done to present the result. Mean chance to avoid caries was high in 36-40 years (57.8±27.1). Mean bacterial count was high for in the age group 31-35 years (14.6±7.153). Mean susceptibility was high among 21-25 years(23.6±18.8). Mean diet sector was high among 31-35 years(11.6±5.66). The association of age and chances to avoid new caries was p=0.119, circumstances was p=0.386; bacterial sector was p=0.919; susceptibility was p value=0.358 and diet was p=0.513 which was found to be statistically not significant. Males and females of age group 31-35 years have high risk for caries. Young adults have higher risk for caries with no association between age and all five components of cariogram.
- Beck, J. D. (1998) ‘Risk revisited’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 26(4), pp. 220–225.
- Bratthall, D. and Petersson, G. H. (2005) ‘Cariogram - a multifactorial risk assessment model for a multifactorial disease’, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, pp. 256–264. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2005.00233.x.
- Celik, E. U., Gokay, N. and Ates, M. (2012) ‘Efficiency of caries risk assessment in young adults using Cariogram’, European journal of dentistry, 6(3), pp. 270–279.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Fontana, M. and Zero, D. T. (2006) ‘Assessing patients’ caries risk’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 137(9), pp. 1231–1239.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Harini, G. and Leelavathi, L. (2019) ‘Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Smoking Cessation-An Overview’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 3588. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.04144.5.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kannan, S. S. D. et al. (2017) ‘AWARENESS AND ATTITUDE TOWARDS MASS DISASTER AND ITS MANAGEMENT AMONG HOUSE SURGEONS IN A DENTAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL IN CHENNAI, INDIA’, Disaster Management and Human Health Risk V. doi: 10.2495/dman170121.
- Khatri, S. G. et al. (2019) ‘Retention of moisture-tolerant fluoride-releasing sealant and amorphous calcium phosphate-containing sealant in 6-9-year-old children: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 92–98.
- Kumar, R. P. and Preethi, R. (2017) ‘Assessment of Water Quality and Pollution of Porur, Chembarambakkam and Puzhal Lake’, Journal of pharmacy research. Available at: http://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:rjpt&volume=10&issue=7&article=032.
- Kumar, R. P. and Vijayalakshmi, B. (2017) ‘Assessment of fluoride concentration in ground water in Madurai district, Tamil Nadu, India’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(1), pp. 309–310.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations. doi: 10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mohapatra, S. et al. (2019) ‘Assessment of Microhardness of Enamel Carious Like Lesions After Treatment with Nova Min, Bio Min and Remin Pro Containing Toothpastes: An in Vitro Study’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 10(10), pp. 375–380.
- Naik, S. P. et al. (2018) ‘Caries Risk Assessment of 12-13-year-old Government and Private School Going Children of Mysore City Using Cariogram: A Comparative Study’, Journal of International Society of Preventive & Community Dentistry, 8(2), pp. 160–167.
- Neralla, M., Jayabalan, J. and George, R. (2019) ‘Role of nutrition in rehabilitation of patients following surgery for oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of Research …. Available at: https://www.pharmascope.org/index.php/ijrps/article/view/1622.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pavithra, R. P. and Jayashri, P. (2019) ‘Influence of Naturally Occurring Phytochemicals on Oral Health’, Journal of pharmacy research. Available at: http://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:rjpt&volume=12&issue=8&article=075.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, A. R., Sankriti, A. and Murthy, S. S. (2011) ‘Comparative evaluation of the length of resin tags, viscosity and microleakage of pit and fissure sealants--an invitro scanning electron microscope study’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 2(4), pp. 324–330.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Srisakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Sakthi, D. S. (2018) ‘Comparing the Effectiveness of Probiotic, Green Tea, and Chlorhexidine- and Fluoride-containing Dentifrices on Oral Microbial Flora: A Double-blind, Randomized Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(4), pp. 560–569.
- Prabakar, J., John, J. and Srisakthi, D. (2016) ‘Prevalence of dental caries and treatment needs among school going children of Chandigarh’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 27(5), pp. 547–552.
- Pratha, A. A., Ashwatha Pratha, A. and Prabakar, J. (2019) ‘Comparing the effect of Carbonated and energy drinks on salivary pH- In Vivo Randomized Controlled Trial’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4699. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2019.00809.6.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sen, N. et al. (2018) ‘A comparative assessment of caries risk using cariogram among smokers and smokeless tobacco users in india - a cross-sectional study’, African health sciences, 18(4), pp. 1046–1056.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Taqi, M., Razak, I. A. and Ab-Murat, N. (2017) ‘Caries Risk Assessment in School Children Using Reduced Cariogram Model’, Pakistan journal of medical sciences quarterly, 33(4), pp. 948–952.
- Tellez, M. et al. (2013) ‘Evidence on existing caries risk assessment systems: are they predictive of future caries?’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 41(1), pp. 67–78.
- Utreja, D. et al. (2010) ‘An evaluation of the Cariogram as a predictor model’, International dental journal, 60(4), pp. 282–284.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.