Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals ,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences,Saveetha University ,Chennai, India
2 Reader,Department of Pedodontics,Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals ,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences ,Saveetha University,Chennai, India ,
3 Senior Lecturer,Department of Periodontics,Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals ,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences ,Saveetha University ,162, PH Road, Chennai 600077,Tamil Nadu , India
A habit is a routine of behavior or doing that is repeated regularly and tends to occur unconsciously. Oral habits such as thumb sucking, nail and finger biting, tongue thrusting, lip biting , bruxism, etc can produce deleterious and destructive effects on the oral structures. A patient's oral health can be affected by these adverse habits. Thumb/digit sucking habit is the repeated and forceful sucking of the thumb with associated buccal and lip musculature. Dental caries is a common problem to any dentition, at any age group. They are most prevalent in cases with poor oral hygiene maintenance. The aim of this study is to assess the association between oral hygiene and DMFT index with dental caries, in children with digit sucking habits. A retrospective study was done in an institutional setting to study the relation between oral hygiene status and dental caries in patients with digit sucking habits. All patients (age group of 18 and less) who had visited the hospital from June 2019 to April 2020 were taken into consideration. The case sheets of all the patients were analyzed using the parameters such as gender, OHIS, DMFT. The data was tabulated and statistical analysis was done in SPSS. Analysis of gender with DMFT and OHIS were done. Out of the 18 patients with digit sucking habits, 11 of them were male and 7 of them were females. Majority of the patients had a really low score on the DMFT index. 0-5 was the lowest and 15 patients had this score. 8 patients had OHIS between 0.6-1. Male patients were seen to have higher DMFT and OHIS than female patients. There was no significant relation between digit sucking habit and dental caries. Oral hygiene played a big role in the occurrence of dental caries.
- Anila, S. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence of oral habits among 4–13-Year-Old children in Central Kerala, India’, Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine, p. 207. doi: 10.4103/jnsbm.jnsbm_14_18.
- Christabel, S. L. and Linda Christabel, S. (2015) ‘Prevalence of Type of Frenal Attachment and Morphology of Frenum in Children, Chennai, Tamil Nadu’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 203–207. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1343.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Dutta, B. and Verma, T. (2018) ‘Prevalence of Deleterious Oral Habits among 3- to 5-yearold Preschool Children in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India’, International Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, pp. 210–213. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1513.
- Elamin, A., Garemo, M. and Gardner, A. (2018) ‘Dental caries and their association with socioeconomic characteristics, oral hygiene practices and eating habits among preschool children in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates — the NOPLAS project’, BMC Oral Health. doi: 10.1186/s12903-018-0557-8.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- ‘Fluoride, Fluoridated Toothpaste Efficacy And Its Safety In Children - Review’ (2018) International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. doi: 10.31838/ijpr/2018.10.04.017.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Govindaraju, L. and Gurunathan, D. (2017) ‘Effectiveness of Chewable Tooth Brush in Children-A Prospective Clinical Study’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), pp. ZC31–ZC34.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. (2017) ‘Clinical Evaluation of Quality of Obturation and Instrumentation Time using Two Modified Rotary File Systems with Manual Instrumentation in Primary Teeth’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZC55–ZC58.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017a) ‘Comparison of quality of obturation and instrumentation time using hand files and two rotary file systems in primary molars: A single-blinded randomized controlled trial’, European journal of dentistry, 11(3), pp. 376–379.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017b) ‘Knowledge and practice of rotary instrumentation in primary teeth among indian dentists: A questionnaire survey’, Journal of International Oral Health, p. 45. doi: 10.4103/jioh.jioh_4_17.
- Jeevanandan, G. (2017) ‘Kedo-S Paediatric Rotary Files for Root Canal Preparation in Primary Teeth - Case Report’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), pp. ZR03–ZR05.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kamdar, R. J. and Al-Shahrani, I. (2015) ‘Damaging oral habits’, Journal of international oral health : JIOH, 7(4), pp. 85–87.
- Kolawole, K. A. et al. (2016) ‘Digit Sucking Habit and Association with Dental Caries and Oral Hygiene Status of Children Aged 6 Months to 12 Years Resident in Semi-Urban Nigeria’, PLOS ONE, p. e0148322. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0148322.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Margaritis, V., Mamai-Homata, E. and Koletsi-Kounari, H. (2016) ‘Gender differences in oral health status and behavior of Greek dental students: A meta-analysis of 1981, 2000, and 2010 data’, Journal of International Society of Preventive and Community Dentistry, p. 60. doi: 10.4103/2231-0762.175411.
- Marwah, N. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence of Dental Caries in Children of Age 5 to 13 Years in District of Vaishali, Bihar, India’, International Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, pp. 359–364. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1540.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nair, M. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of post-operative pain after pulpectomy with k-files, kedo-s files and mtwo files in deciduous molars -a randomized clinical trial’, Brazilian Dental Science, p. 411. doi: 10.14295/bds.2018.v21i4.1617.
- Packiri, S., Gurunathan, D. and Selvarasu, K. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZE06–ZE09.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. (2019) ‘Comparison of instrumentation time and obturation quality between hand K-file, H-files, and rotary Kedo-S in root canal treatment of primary teeth: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 75–79.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Puskaric, H., Tadic, D. and Djordjevic, M. Z. (2016) ‘HUMAN HABITS THAT INFLUENCE THE QUALITY OF LIFE AND HOW INFORMATIONAL TECHNOLOGIES CAN REDUCE THEIR NEGATIVE EFFECTS’, Center for Quality. Available at: http://cqm.rs/2016/cd1/pdf/papers/focus_1/48.pdf.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ravikumar, D., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017) ‘Evaluation of knowledge among general dentists in treatment of traumatic injuries in primary teeth: A cross-sectional questionnaire study’, European journal of dentistry, 11(2), pp. 232–237.
- Reddy, K. et al. (2017) ‘Prevalence of dental caries among 6–12 years school children of Mahbubnagar District, Telangana State, India: A cross-sectional study’, Indian Journal of Dental Sciences, p. 1. doi: 10.4103/0976-4003.201641.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, I. et al. (2019) ‘Dental Neglect among Children And Their Parents In District Panchkula’, International Healthcare Research Journal, pp. 265–269. doi: 10.26440/ihrj.v2i11.203.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Shetty, M., Deoghare, A. and Shridhar Shetty, N. (2015) ‘Three-Alarm System: Revisited to treat Thumbsucking Habit’, International Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, pp. 82–86. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1289.
- Shyagali, T. et al. (2017) ‘Age-wise and gender-wise prevalence of oral habits in 7–16-year-old school children of Mewar ethnicity, India’, Indian Journal of Dental Sciences, p. 184. doi: 10.4103/ijds.ijds_33_17.
- Somasundaram, S. et al. (2015) ‘Fluoride Content of Bottled Drinking Water in Chennai, Tamilnadu’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(10), pp. ZC32–4.
- Soumya, S. G. (2017) ‘Evaluation of Oral Health Status among 5-15-Year-old School Children in Shimoga City, Karnataka, India: A Cross-sectional Study’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2017/24879.10185.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subramanyam, D. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of salivary malondialdehyde levels as a marker of lipid peroxidation in early childhood caries’, European journal of dentistry, 12(1), pp. 67–70.
- Tanaka, O. et al. (2016) ‘Breaking the Thumb Sucking Habit: When Compliance Is Essential’, Case Reports in Dentistry, pp. 1–6. doi: 10.1155/2016/6010615.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Veiga, N. et al. (2016) ‘Dental caries: A review’, Journal of Dental and Oral Health, 3(1), p. 2.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Website (no date). Available at: Ferizi-Shabani, Lulëjeta. 2015. ‘The Correlation between DMFT and OHI-S Index among 10-15 Years Old Children in Kosova.’ Journal of Dentistry, June. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.1.2554.6087. (Accessed: 13 June 2020).