Prevalence Of Secondary Caries In Children- Aretrospective Study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3387-3396
AbstractBackground- Secondary caries develop perpendicular to the tooth surface and can be considered a primary lesion developing next to a restoration, and the wall lesions.Dental caries is the localised destruction of susceptible dental hard tissues by acidic byproducts from the bacterial fermentation of dietary carbohydrates.
Aim- To assess the secondary caries prevalence and its approach in children .
Results- The results prove that composite restoration has more prevalence of secondary caries which is about 69% and the most common class 2 restoration was affected which is about 79%.There is no statistical significant difference between the duration of the restoration and the material used (p>0.05).
Conclusion- Within the limits of the study, it can be concluded that secondary caries were commonly noticed in patients with composite restoration. There is no association between duration of restoration and material used for restoration.
- Askar, H. et al. (2020) ‘Secondary caries: what is it, and how it can be controlled, detected, and managed?’, Clinical Oral Investigations, pp. 1869–1876. doi: 10.1007/s00784-020-03268-7.
- Casagrande, L. et al. (2017) ‘Longevity and associated risk factors in adhesive restorations of young permanent teeth after complete and selective caries removal: a retrospective study’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(3), pp. 847–855.
- Christabel, S. L. and Linda Christabel, S. (2015) ‘Prevalence of Type of Frenal Attachment and Morphology of Frenum in Children, Chennai, Tamil Nadu’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 203–207. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1343.
- Demarco, F. F. et al. (2017) ‘Should my composite restorations last forever? Why are they failing?’, Brazilian oral research, 31(suppl 1), p. e56.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dérand, T., Birkhed, D. and Edwardsson, S. (1991) ‘Secondary caries related to various marginal gaps around amalgam restorations in vitro’, Swedish dental journal, 15(3), pp. 133–138.
- Diniz, M. B., Cordeiro, R. C. L. and Ferreira-Zandona, A. G. (2016) ‘Detection of Caries Around Amalgam Restorations on Approximal Surfaces’, Operative Dentistry, pp. 34–43. doi: 10.2341/14-048-l.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Ferracane, J. L. (2017) ‘Models of Caries Formation around Dental Composite Restorations’, Journal of dental research, 96(4), pp. 364–371.
- ‘Fluoride, Fluoridated Toothpaste Efficacy And Its Safety In Children - Review’ (2018) International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. doi: 10.31838/ijpr/2018.10.04.017.
- Fontana, M., Gonzalez-Cabezas, C. and Stookey, G. K. (2000) ‘QLF monitoring of therapies for early secondary caries arrestment and remineralization’, Lasers in Dentistry VI. doi: 10.1117/12.380845.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gilmour, S. M., Edmunds, D. H. and Dummer, P. M. (1990) ‘The production of secondary caries-like lesions on cavity walls and the assessment of microleakage using an in vitro microbial caries system’, Journal of oral rehabilitation, 17(6), pp. 573–578.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Govindaraju, L. and Gurunathan, D. (2017) ‘Effectiveness of Chewable Tooth Brush in Children-A Prospective Clinical Study’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), pp. ZC31–ZC34.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. (2017) ‘Clinical Evaluation of Quality of Obturation and Instrumentation Time using Two Modified Rotary File Systems with Manual Instrumentation in Primary Teeth’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZC55–ZC58.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017a) ‘Comparison of quality of obturation and instrumentation time using hand files and two rotary file systems in primary molars: A single-blinded randomized controlled trial’, European journal of dentistry, 11(3), pp. 376–379.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017b) ‘Knowledge and practice of rotary instrumentation in primary teeth among indian dentists: A questionnaire survey’, Journal of International Oral Health, p. 45. doi: 10.4103/jioh.jioh_4_17.
- Grieve, A. R. (1973) ‘The occurrence of secondary caries-like lesions in vitro. The effect of a fluoride cavity liner and a cavity varnish’, British Dental Journal, pp. 530–536. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4803032.
- Gurunathan, D. and Shanmugaavel, A. K. (2016) ‘Dental neglect among children in Chennai’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 34(4), pp. 364–369.
- Hals, E. and Halse, A. (1975) ‘Electron probe microanalysis of secondary carious lesions associated with silver amalgam fillings’, Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, pp. 149–160. doi: 10.3109/00016357509026356.
- Hetrodt, F. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of Restorative Materials Containing Preventive Additives in a Secondary Caries Model in vitro’, Caries Research, pp. 447–456. doi: 10.1159/000496401.
- Jeevanandan, G., Ganesh, S. and Arthilakshmi (2019) ‘Kedo file system for root canal preparation in primary teeth’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 30(4), pp. 622–624.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jokstad, A. (2016) ‘Secondary caries and microleakage’, Dental materials: official publication of the Academy of Dental Materials, 32(1), pp. 11–25.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kidd, E. A. (2001) ‘Diagnosis of secondary caries’, Journal of dental education, 65(10), pp. 997–1000.
- Krasse, B. (1986) ‘Interpretation and use of microbiologic findings in dental caries’, Oral Microbiology and Immunology, pp. 85–86. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-302x.1986.tb00327.x.
- Kuper, N. K. et al. (2012) ‘The influence of approximal restoration extension on the development of secondary caries’, Journal of Dentistry, pp. 241–247. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2011.12.014.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Maske, T. T. et al. (2019) ‘Chlorhexidine, a Matrix Metalloproteinase Inhibitor and the Development of Secondary Caries Wall Lesions in a Microcosm Biofilm Model’, Caries Research, pp. 107–117. doi: 10.1159/000490195.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Metz, I. et al. (2015) ‘Risk factors for secondary caries in direct composite restorations in primary teeth’, International journal of paediatric dentistry / the British Paedodontic Society [and] the International Association of Dentistry for Children, 25(6), pp. 451–461.
- Mjör, I. A. and Toffenetti, F. (2000) ‘Secondary caries: a literature review with case reports’, Quintessence international , 31(3), pp. 165–179.
- Nair, M. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of post-operative pain after pulpectomy with k-files, kedo-s files and mtwo files in deciduous molars -a randomized clinical trial’, Brazilian Dental Science, p. 411. doi: 10.14295/bds.2018.v21i4.1617.
- Nedeljkovic, I. et al. (2020) ‘Secondary caries: prevalence, characteristics, and approach’, Clinical oral investigations, 24(2), pp. 683–691.
- Neuhaus, K. W. et al. (2012) ‘Detection of proximal secondary caries at cervical class II-amalgam restoration margins in vitro’, Journal of Dentistry, pp. 493–499. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2012.02.014.
- Packiri, S. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2017/28498.10622.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Peck, S. D. and Briggs, G. A. D. (1986) ‘A Scanning Acoustic Microscope Study of the Small Caries Lesion in Human Enamel’, Caries Research, pp. 356–360. doi: 10.1159/000260958.
- Pinto, G. D. S. et al. (2014) ‘Longevity of posterior restorations in primary teeth: results from a paediatric dental clinic’, Journal of dentistry, 42(10), pp. 1248–1254.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ravikumar, D., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017) ‘Evaluation of knowledge among general dentists in treatment of traumatic injuries in primary teeth: A cross-sectional questionnaire study’, European journal of dentistry, 11(2), pp. 232–237.
- Rodrigues, J. A. et al. (2010) ‘In vitro detection of secondary caries associated with composite restorations on approximal surfaces using laser fluorescence’, Operative dentistry, 35(5), pp. 564–571.
- Roydhouse, R. H. (1982) ‘Composite teeth--clinical observations’, Quintessence international, dental digest, 13(1), pp. 33–35.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Somasundaram, S. et al. (2015) ‘Fluoride Content of Bottled Drinking Water in Chennai, Tamilnadu’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(10), pp. ZC32–4.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subramanyam, D. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of salivary malondialdehyde levels as a marker of lipid peroxidation in early childhood caries’, European journal of dentistry, 12(1), pp. 67–70.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Wu, W. et al. (1983) ‘Detecting margin leakage of dental composite restorations’, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, pp. 37–43. doi: 10.1002/jbm.820170104.
- Xuedong, Z. (2015) Dental Caries: Principles and Management. Springer.
- Article View: 164
- PDF Download: 106