Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical science.Saveetha University.Chennai-600077
2 Reader, Department of Oral Medicine,Saveetha Dental College,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical science.Saveetha University.Chennai-600077
3 Senior Lecturer, Department of Prosthodontics,Saveetha Dental College,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical science.Saveetha University.Chennai-600077
Aim: The aim of the present study was to assess the prevalence of diabetes in patients with dental caries associated with pulpitis in diabetic patients attending Saveetha Dental Hospital, Chennai.
Materials and Method: This study was done by analysing the archived case records of Saveetha Dental College. From the existing records a total of 2268 patients with pulpitis were recorded in the time interval between June 2019 and March 2020. Each of the case records were analysed and patients with diabetes mellitus were segregated noted down. The presence of diabetes mellitus as recorded was based on the self reporting by patients. The study was approved by the Institutional Ethics Committee.
Results:A total of 2268 patients with pulpitis were identified and 248 patients had self declared diabetes. The overall prevalence of diabetes in the patients was 10.93%. There was a slight male occurrence of the disease and an increase in incidence of diabetes was noted with advancing age in the given sample.The highest number of diabetics were seen in the 41-60 age group. Data analysis was done using a chi-square test between the presence of diabetes and gender (chi-square-0.256;df-1;p-0.032) we found the results were statistically significant(P<0.05). Data analysis was done using a chi-square analysis between the presence of diabetic conditions and age groups (chi square - 31.888,df - 4,p-0.02) we found the results were statistically significant (P<0.05).
Conclusion: From the study it is noticed that there is an increase in the incidence of diabetes in patients with pulpitis signifying that the diabetic patients are prone to infections. However all the diabetic patients in this study were self reported diabetic patients.
- Al-Maskari, A. Y., Al-Maskari, M. Y. and Al-Sudairy, S. (2011) ‘Oral Manifestations and Complications of Diabetes Mellitus: A review’, Sultan Qaboos University medical journal, 11(2), pp. 179–186.
- Catanzaro, O. et al. (2006) ‘Diabetes and its effects on dental pulp’, Journal of oral science, 48(4), pp. 195–199.
- Chaitanya, N. C. et al. (2017) ‘Role of Vitamin E and Vitamin A in Oral Mucositis Induced by Cancer Chemo/Radiotherapy- A Meta-analysis’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(5), pp. ZE06–ZE09.
- Chaitanya, N. C. et al. (2018) ‘An Insight and Update on the Analgesic Properties of Vitamin C’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 10(3), pp. 119–125.
- Choudhury, P. et al. (2015) ‘Vanishing roots: first case report of idiopathic multiple cervico-apical external root resorption’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(3), pp. ZD17–9.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dharman, S. and Muthukrishnan, A. (2016) ‘Oral mucous membrane pemphigoid - Two case reports with varied clinical presentation’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 20(6), pp. 630–634.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Fouad, A. F. and Burleson, J. (2003) ‘The effect of diabetes mellitus on endodontic treatment outcome’, The Journal of the American Dental Association, pp. 43–51. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0016.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- İlgüy, D. et al. (2005) ‘Reliability and Validity of the Modified Dental Anxiety Scale in Turkish Patients’, Journal of International Medical Research, pp. 252–259. doi: 10.1177/147323000503300214.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kudiyirickal, M. G. and Pappachan, J. M. (2015) ‘Diabetes mellitus and oral health’, Endocrine, 49(1), pp. 27–34.
- Lima, S. M. F. et al. (2013) ‘Diabetes mellitus and inflammatory pulpal and periapical disease: a review’, International endodontic journal, 46(8), pp. 700–709.
- Llambés, F., Arias-Herrera, S. and Caffesse, R. (2015) ‘Relationship between diabetes and periodontal infection’, World journal of diabetes, 6(7), pp. 927–935.
- Maheswari, T. N. U. et al. (2018) ‘Salivary micro RNA as a potential biomarker in oral potentially malignant disorders: A systematic review’, Ci ji yi xue za zhi = Tzu-chi medical journal, 30(2), pp. 55–60.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Misra, S. R. et al. (2015) ‘Metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma in the maxilla and mandible, an extremely rare presentation’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 6(Suppl 1), pp. S117–21.
- Muthukrishnan, A. and Bijai Kumar, L. (2017) ‘Actinic cheilosis: early intervention prevents malignant transformation’, BMJ case reports, 2017. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-218654.
- Muthukrishnan, A., Kumar, L. B. and Ramalingam, G. (2016) ‘Medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: a dentist’s nightmare’, BMJ Case Reports, p. bcr2016214626. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-214626.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Patil, S. R. et al. (2018) ‘Three-Rooted Mandibular First Molars in a Saudi Arabian Population: A CBCT Study’, Pesquisa brasileira em odontopediatria e clinica integrada, 18(1), p. 4133.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Reich, E., Lussi, A. and Newbrun, E. (1999) ‘Caries-risk assessment’, International dental journal, 49(1), pp. 15–26.
- Roglic, G. et al. (2005) ‘The burden of mortality attributable to diabetes: realistic estimates for the year 2000’, Diabetes care, 28(9), pp. 2130–2135.
- Rohini, S. and Kumar, V. J. (2017) ‘Incidence of dental caries and pericoronitis associated with impacted mandibular third molar-A radiographic study’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(4), pp. 1081–1084.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Segura-Egea, J. J. et al. (2016) ‘Association between diabetes and the prevalence of radiolucent periapical lesions in root-filled teeth: systematic review and meta-analysis’, Clinical oral investigations, 20(6), pp. 1133–1141.
- Sharma, A. et al. (2015) ‘The effect of oral health education and treatment on dental caries prevalence among primary schoolchildren in Nagrota Bagwan Block of Kangra, Himachal Pradesh, India: A school-based cross-sectional study’, Journal of Indian Academy of Dental Specialist Researchers, p. 59. doi: 10.4103/2229-3019.177925.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Singh, I. et al. (2016) ‘Diabetes an inducing factor for dental caries: A case control analysis in Jammu’, Journal of International Society of Preventive & Community Dentistry, 6(2), pp. 125–129.
- Steele, J. C. et al. (2015) ‘World Workshop on Oral Medicine VI: an international validation study of clinical competencies for advanced training in oral medicine’, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, pp. 143–151.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2014.12.026.
- Subashri, A. and Maheshwari, T. N. (2016) ‘Knowledge and attitude of oral hygiene practice among dental students’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(11), pp. 1840–1842.
- Subha, M. and Arvind, M. (2019) ‘Role of magnetic resonance imaging in evaluation of trigeminal neuralgia with its anatomical correlation’, Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, 12(1), pp. 289–296.
- Taylor, G. W., Manz, M. C. and Borgnakke, W. S. (2004) ‘Diabetes, periodontal diseases, dental caries, and tooth loss: a review of the literature’, The Compendium of continuing education in dentistry, 25(3), pp. 179–84, 186–8, 190; quiz 192.
- Twetman, S. et al. (2002) ‘Caries incidence in young type 1 diabetes mellitus patients in relation to metabolic control and caries-associated risk factors’, Caries research, 36(1), pp. 31–35.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopal, A. and Uma Maheswari, T. N. (2016) ‘Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in oral potentially malignant disorders: A systematic review’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial pathology: JOMFP, 20(3), pp. 474–479.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Warnakulasuriya, S. and Muthukrishnan, A. (2018) ‘Oral health consequences of smokeless tobacco use’, Indian Journal of Medical Research, p. 35. doi: 10.4103/ijmr.ijmr_1793_17.
- Wild, S. et al. (2004) ‘Global Prevalence of Diabetes: Estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030’, Diabetes Care, pp. 1047–1053. doi: 10.2337/diacare.27.5.1047.
- Wysham, C. H. and Sue Kirkman, M. (2011) ‘Response to Comment on: American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2011. Diabetes Care 2011;34(Suppl. 1):S11–S61’, Diabetes care, 34(5), pp. e54–e54.