Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals,Saveetha Institute of Medical and technical sciences (SIMATS),Saveetha University,Chennai, India
2 Senior Lecturer,Department of Public Health Dentistry,Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals,Saveetha Institute of Medical and technical sciences (SIMATS),Saveetha University,Chennai, India
3 Reader,Department of Orthodontics,Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals,Saveetha Institute of Medical and technical sciences (SIMATS),Saveetha University,Chennai, India
The retention or loss of permanent teeth is of central importance to an individual's oral health status and to qualify for life. Prevalence of tooth loss and dental caries has been documented more among women than in men in many parts of the world. Smoking habits more performed by men had increased chance of development of dental caries progressively leading to tooth loss. Thus this study aimed to find association of gender and tooth loss. This retrospective study was conducted using records of patients visited private Dental College. A total of 644 consecutive case records of patient age ranging from 20-90 years were retrieved. Data on the number of missing teeth due to caries from their records were entered and subjected to statistical analysis. Descriptive statistics was done to present the prevalence of missing teeth. Chi-square association was performed to find the association. Among the patients 53.88% males and 38.04% females had one tooth loss due to caries. About 0.93% of patients in age group 41-60 years, 0.78% in age group 20-40 years had four missing teeth due to caries. A significant association exists between age groups and missing teeth due to caries (p<0.05) whereas no significant association was observed between gender and missing teeth due to caries. Within the limits of the study, prevalence of tooth loss due to caries is higher in males compared to females with insignificant association.
- Aida, J. et al. (2006) ‘Reasons for permanent tooth extractions in Japan’, Journal of epidemiology / Japan Epidemiological Association, 16(5), pp. 214–219.
- Arora, M. et al. (2009) ‘Cumulative lead exposure and tooth loss in men: the normative aging study’, Environmental health perspectives, 117(10), pp. 1531–1534.
- Baskaradoss, J. K. et al. (2019) ‘Influence of Lifestyle on Dental Health Behavior’, Journal of lifestyle medicine, 9(2), pp. 119–124.
- Coda Bertea, P. et al. (2007) ‘Female gender is associated with dental care and dental hygiene, but not with complete dentition in the Swiss adult population’, Journal of public health, 15(5), pp. 361–367.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Desvarieux, M. et al. (2004) ‘Gender differences in the relationship between periodontal disease, tooth loss, and atherosclerosis’, Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation, 35(9), pp. 2029–2035.
- ‘DietaryGuidelines2010’ (2010) US Department of agriculture. Available at: https://health.gov/sites/default/files/2020-01/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Fiala, J. and Brázdová, Z. (2000) ‘A comparison between the lifestyles of men and women--parents of school age children’, Central European journal of public health, 8(2), pp. 94–100.
- Gerritsen, A. E. et al. (2010) ‘Tooth loss and oral health-related quality of life: a systematic review and meta-analysis’, Health and quality of life outcomes, 8, p. 126.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Gürsoy, M. et al. (2008) ‘Clinical changes in periodontium during pregnancy and post-partum’, Journal of clinical periodontology, 35(7), pp. 576–583.
- Harini G, L. L. (2019) ‘Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Smoking Cessation - An overview’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development, 10(11). Available at: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=09760245&AN=141274498&h=gYL53P0RTDuihXfEOqLsBmolOVY%2Fn1jwd7eokhNcHN%2F5g8CVaYKbt1wU4UOsqeCY51fRbe6Ner1I6TkeG%2FuwDg%3D%3D&crl=c (Accessed: 11 June 2020).
- Holm, G. (1994) ‘Smoking as an additional risk for tooth loss’, Journal of periodontology, 65(11), pp. 996–1001.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jimenez, M. et al. (2009) ‘Racial/ethnic variations in associations between socioeconomic factors and tooth loss’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 37(3), pp. 267–275.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kannan, S. S. D. et al. (2017) AWARENESS AND ATTITUDE TOWARDS MASS DISASTER AND ITS MANAGEMENT AMONG HOUSE SURGEONS IN A DENTAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL IN CHENNAI, INDIA. WIT Press, pp. 121–129.
- Khatri, S. G. et al. (2019) ‘Retention of moisture-tolerant fluoride-releasing sealant and amorphous calcium phosphate-containing sealant in 6-9-year-old children: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 92–98.
- Khazaei, S. et al. (2013) ‘Epidemiology and risk factors of tooth loss among Iranian adults: findings from a large community-based study’, BioMed research international, 2013, p. 786462.
- Kumar, R. P. and Vijayalakshmi, B. (2017) ‘Assessment of Fluoride Concentration in Ground Water in Madurai District, Tamil Nadu, India’, Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 10(1), p. 309.
- Lukacs, J. R. (2011a) ‘Gender differences in oral health in South Asia: metadata imply multifactorial biological and cultural causes’, American journal of human biology: the official journal of the Human Biology Council, 23(3), pp. 398–411.
- Lukacs, J. R. (2011b) ‘Sex differences in dental caries experience: clinical evidence, complex etiology’, Clinical oral investigations, 15(5), pp. 649–656.
- Machtei, E. E. et al. (2004) ‘The effect of menstrual cycle on periodontal health’, Journal of periodontology, 75(3), pp. 408–412.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations. doi: 10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Medina-Solís, C. E. et al. (2006) ‘Edentulism among Mexican adults aged 35 years and older and associated factors’, American journal of public health, 96(9), pp. 1578–1581.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mohamad Qulam Zaki Bin and Gheena, S. (2018) ‘The Prevalence of Dental Caries in 18 To 30 Years Individual Associated with Socio-Economic Status in an Outpatient Population Visiting A Hospital in Chennai’, Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, 11(3), pp. 1295–1300.
- Mohapatra, S. et al. (2019) ‘Assessment of Microhardness of Enamel Carious Like Lesions After Treatment with Nova Min, Bio Min and Remin Pro Containing Toothpastes: An in Vitro Study’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 10(10), pp. 375–380.
- Montandon, A., Zuza, E. and Toledo, B. E. (2012) ‘Prevalence and reasons for tooth loss in a sample from a dental clinic in Brazil’, International journal of dentistry, 2012, p. 719750.
- Natto, Z. S. et al. (2014) ‘Factors contributing to tooth loss among the elderly: A cross sectional study’, Singapore dental journal, 35, pp. 17–22.
- Neralla, M. et al. (2019) ‘Role of nutrition in rehabilitation of patients following surgery for oral squamous cell carcinoma’, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(4), pp. 3197–3203.
- Orwoll, E. S. et al. (2009) ‘Sex steroids, periodontal health, and tooth loss in older men’, Journal of dental research, 88(8), pp. 704–708.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Patir, A. et al. (2008) ‘Enamel formation genes are associated with high caries experience in Turkish children’, Caries research, 42(5), pp. 394–400.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Percival, R. S., Challacombe, S. J. and Marsh, P. D. (1994) ‘Flow rates of resting whole and stimulated parotid saliva in relation to age and gender’, Journal of dental research, 73(8), pp. 1416–1420.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Srisakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Prabakar, J. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of the viscosity and length of resin tags of conventional and hydrophilic pit and fissure sealants on permanent molars:An in vitro study’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(3), p. 388.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Sakthi, D. S. (2018) ‘Comparing the Effectiveness of Probiotic, Green Tea, and Chlorhexidine- and Fluoride-containing Dentifrices on Oral Microbial Flora: A Double-blind, Randomized Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(4), pp. 560–569.
- Prabakar, J., John, J. and Srisakthi, D. (2016) ‘Prevalence of dental caries and treatment needs among school going children of Chandigarh’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 27(5), pp. 547–552.
- Pradeep Kumar, R. and Preethi, R. (2017) ‘Assessment of Water Quality and Pollution of Porur, Chembarambakkam and Puzhal Lake’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(7), pp. 2157–2159.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- R, P. P. and Jayashri, P. (2019) ‘Influence of Naturally Occurring Phytochemicals on Oral Health’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 12(8), pp. 3979–3983.
- Russell, S. L. et al. (2013) ‘Sex/Gender differences in tooth loss and edentulism: historical perspectives, biological factors, and sociologic reasons’, Dental clinics of North America, 57(2), pp. 317–337.
- Russell, S. L. and Mayberry, L. J. (2008) ‘Pregnancy and oral health: a review and recommendations to reduce gaps in practice and research’, MCN. The American journal of maternal child nursing, 33(1), pp. 32–37.
- Sakki, T. K. et al. (1994) ‘Lifestyle, dental caries and number of teeth’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 22(5 Pt 1), pp. 298–302.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sheiham, A. and Steele, J. (2001) ‘Does the condition of the mouth and teeth affect the ability to eat certain foods, nutrient and dietary intake and nutritional status amongst older people?’, Public health nutrition, 4(3), pp. 797–803.
- Silva-Junior, M. F., Batista, M. J. and de Sousa, M. da L. R. (2017) ‘Incidence of Tooth Loss in Adults: A 4-Year Population-Based Prospective Cohort Study’, International journal of dentistry, 2017, p. 6074703.
- Silva Junior, M. F., Batista, M. J. and de Sousa, M. da L. R. (2019) ‘Risk factors for tooth loss in adults: A population-based prospective cohort study’, PloS one, 14(7), p. e0219240.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Steele, J. G. et al. (2004) ‘How do age and tooth loss affect oral health impacts and quality of life? A study comparing two national samples’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 32(2), pp. 107–114.
- Susin, C. et al. (2005) ‘Tooth loss and associated risk indicators in an adult urban population from south Brazil’, Acta odontologica Scandinavica, 63(2), pp. 85–93.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.