Kap Survey on Management Of Defective Composite Restorations Among Dental Practitioners In Chennai
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3228-3239
AbstractBackground :Development of dental materials plays a significant role in dental practice from mechanically focused to a more biologically focused dentistry. Repair or replacement of dental restorations is one of the most common procedures performed by the dental practitioners. Defective composite restoration was replaced but more conservative treatment like repair has been advocated in the recent past.
Aim :The aim of the present study is to investigate the knowledge, attitude and practice on management of defective composite restoration among dentists in chennai.
Methods :A cross-sectional questionnaire based study was conducted in 2020 among dental practitioners in chennai. Survey questionnaires were prepared, using an online survey portal and it was distributed randomly to 105 dentists via google forms. The obtained results were statistically analysed using SPSS and the graphs were plotted.
Results :Majority of the participants considered that repair was less time consuming and most of the respondents agreed that repair increased the longevity of a previously restored defective composite restoration. The obtained results state that repair of composite restoration is practiced more widely than replacement.There was no significant association between the field of practice of the dentists (specialists/ general practitioners) and their response to the question for the majority of the survey questions
Conclusion :Based on the results of this survey, majority of dentists perform repair of composite restoration rather than replacement to treat small defects in composite restoration.
- Banerjee, A. (2013) ‘Minimal intervention dentistry: part 7. Minimally invasive operative caries management: rationale and techniques’, British Dental Journal, pp. 107–111. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2013.106.
- Blum, I., Lynch, C. and Wilson, N. (2014) ‘Factors influencing repair of dental restorations with resin composite’, Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dentistry, p. 81. doi: 10.2147/ccide.s53461.
- Blum, I. R., Jagger, D. C. and Wilson, N. H. F. (2011) ‘Defective dental restorations: to repair or not to repair? Part 1: direct composite restorations’, Dental update, 38(2), pp. 78–80, 82–4.
- Deligeorgi, V., Mjör, I. A. and Nairn Hf H (2001) ‘An Overview of and Replacement Reasons for the of Restorations Placement’, Primary Dental Care, pp. 5–11. doi: 10.1308/135576101771799335.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Farooq, I. et al. (2019) ‘Dental Resin Composite Restoration Practices amongst General Dental Practitioners of Karachi, Pakistan’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 129–134. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1618.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Gordan, V. V., Riley, J. L., 3rd, Geraldeli, S., et al. (2012) ‘Repair or replacement of defective restorations by dentists in The Dental Practice-Based Research Network’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 143(6), pp. 593–601.
- Gordan, V. V., Riley, J. L., 3rd, Worley, D. C., et al. (2012) ‘Restorative material and other tooth-specific variables associated with the decision to repair or replace defective restorations: findings from The Dental PBRN’, Journal of dentistry, 40(5), pp. 397–405.
- Hickel, R. and Manhart, J. (2001) ‘Longevity of restorations in posterior teeth and reasons for failure’, The journal of adhesive dentistry, 3(1), pp. 45–64.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality - An in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kay, E. J. et al. (1988) ‘Preliminary investigation into the validity of dentists’ decisions to restore occlusal surfaces of permanent teeth’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 16(2), pp. 91–94.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Lynch, C. D. et al. (2010) ‘The teaching of fixed partial dentures in undergraduate dental schools in Ireland and the United Kingdom’, Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, pp. 908–915. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2842.2010.02106.x.
- Lynch, C. D. et al. (2013) ‘The Management of Defective Resin Composite Restorations: Current Trends in Dental School Teaching in Japan’, Operative Dentistry, pp. 497–504. doi: 10.2341/12-217-c.
- Lynch, C. D., McConnell, R. J. and Wilson, N. H. F. (2006) ‘Teaching of posterior composite resin restorations in undergraduate dental schools in Ireland and the United Kingdom’, European Journal of Dental Education, pp. 38–43. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0579.2006.00394.x.
- Lynch, C. D. and Wilson, N. H. F. (2013) ‘Managing the phase-down of amalgam: part I. Educational and training issues’, British Dental Journal, pp. 109–113. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2013.737.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manohar, M. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 716. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_716_16.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mjör, I. A., Moorhead, J. E. and Dahl, J. E. (2000) ‘Reasons for replacement of restorations in permanent teeth in general dental practice’, International Dental Journal, pp. 361–366. doi: 10.1111/j.1875-595x.2000.tb00569.x.
- Morgano, S. M., Rodrigues, A. H. C. and Sabrosa, C. E. (2004) ‘Restoration of endodontically treated teeth’, Dental Clinics of North America, pp. 397–416. doi: 10.1016/j.cden.2003.12.011.
- Morin, D., DeLong, R. and Douglas, W. H. (1984) ‘Clinical Science Cusp Reinforcement by the Acid-etch Technique’, Journal of Dental Research, pp. 1075–1078. doi: 10.1177/00220345840630081401.
- Nasim, I. and Nandakumar, M. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 516. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_110_18.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ramanathan, S. and Solete, P. (2015) ‘Cone-beam Computed Tomography Evaluation of Root Canal Preparation using Various Rotary Instruments: An in vitro Study’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 869–872. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-1773.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- R, R., Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth – A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, pp. 249–256. doi: 10.7126/cumudj.525182.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharif, M. O., Merry, A., et al. (2010) ‘Replacement versus repair of defective restorations in adults: amalgam’, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. doi: 10.1002/14651858.cd005970.pub2.
- Sharif, M. O., Catleugh, M., et al. (2010) ‘Replacement versus repair of defective restorations in adults: resin composite’, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. doi: 10.1002/14651858.cd005971.pub2.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Siddique, R. et al. (2019) ‘Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 22(1), pp. 40–47.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Teja, K. V. and Ramesh, S. (2019) ‘Shape optimal and clean more’, Saudi Endodontic Journal, 9(3), p. 235.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Yousef, M. and Khoja, N. (2009) ‘Repair and Replacement Perception of Dental Restorations’, Journal of King Abdulaziz University-Medical Sciences, pp. 75–85. doi: 10.4197/med.16-1.7.
- Zachrisson, B. U. and Mjör, I. A. (1975) ‘Remodeling of teeth by grinding’, American journal of orthodontics, 68(5), pp. 545–553.
- Article View: 193
- PDF Download: 105