Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College ,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences (SIMATS),Saveetha University Chennai
2 Senior lecturer,Department of Prosthodontics,Saveetha Dental College,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences (SIMATS),Saveetha University,Chennai
Aim:The aim of this study was to retrospectively evaluate the frequency of additional retentive features used during tooth preparation for Fixed Partial Dentures by the dental students and to determine preference of retentive features in each sextant.
Method:The data for this study was collected from June 2019 to March 2020 after taking ethical clearance from the Institutional Review Committee. A total of 999 case records of the patients who received fixed partial denture in a dental institution at Chennai was included. The data regarding the tooth preparation was collected from the case record. SPSS 20 version was used for statistical analysis. Chi-square test was applied to see association between the retentive features and tooth location.
Result:The study reported that 30.7% of tooth preparation had proximal boxes; 14.8% had grooves; 18.7% had occlusal offset and 35.7% did not incorporate any additional retentive feature. Association between the retentive features and location of the tooth was found to be statistically significant.
Conclusion:Most of the dental students did not prefer additional retentive features followed by proximal box, grooves and occlusal offset. Association between the retentive features and location of the tooth was found to be statistically significant with p value of 0.02. In sextant 1, 5 and 6 no additional retentive features were preferred. In sextant 2 and 4, proximal box was highly preferred. In sextant 3, both proximal box and no additional retentive feature was equally preferred.
- Ajay, R. et al. (2017) ‘Effect of surface modifications on the retention of cement-retained implant crowns under fatigue loads: An In vitro study’, Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences, p. 154. doi: 10.4103/jpbs.jpbs_146_17.
- Ariga, P. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of Correlation of Width of Maxillary Anterior Teeth using Extraoral and Intraoral Factors in Indian Population: A Systematic Review’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 68–75. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1509.
- Ashok, V. et al. (2014) ‘Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, pp. 279–282. doi: 10.1007/s13191-013-0339-6.
- Ashok, V. and Suvitha, S. (2016) ‘Awareness of all ceramic restoration in rural population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1691. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00340.1.
- Basha, F. Y. S., Ganapathy, D. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3099. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3.
- Blair, F. M., Wassell, R. W. and Steele, J. G. (2002) ‘Crowns and other extra-coronal restorations:Preparations for full veneer crowns’, British Dental Journal, pp. 561–571. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4801428.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Foster, L. V. (1990) ‘Failed conventional bridge work from general dental practice: clinical aspects and treatment needs of 142 cases’, British dental journal, 168(5), pp. 199–201.
- Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2016/21447.9028.
- Ganapathy, D. M., Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2017) ‘Effect of Coated Surfaces influencing Screw Loosening in Implants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 496–502. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1493.
- Garber, D. A. and Goldstein, R. E. (1994) Porcelain & composite inlays & onlays: esthetic posterior restorations. Quintessence Pub Co.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Jain, A., Ranganathan, H. and Ganapathy, D. (2017) ‘Cervical and incisal marginal discrepancy in ceramic laminate veneering materials: A SEM analysis’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 272. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_156_17.
- Jayna, M. et al. (2015) ‘Clinical insight into tooth preparation: An update’, The Saint’s International Dental Journal, p. 2. doi: 10.4103/2454-3160.161793.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Jyothi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Periodontal Health Status of Three Different Groups Wearing Temporary Partial Denture’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4339. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00795.8.
- Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2121. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00393.1.
- Kishimoto, M., Shillingburg, H. T., Jr and Duncanson, M. G., Jr (1983) ‘Influence of preparation features on retention and resistance. Part II: three-quarter crowns’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 49(2), pp. 188–192.
- Land, M. F. and Fujimoto, J. (1995) Contemporary Fixed Prosthodontics. Mosby Elsevier Health Science.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Maxwell, A. W., Blank, L. W. and Pelleu, G. B., Jr (1990) ‘Effect of crown preparation height on the retention and resistance of gold castings’, General dentistry, 38(3), pp. 200–202.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nallaswamy, D. (2017) Textbook of Prosthodontics. JP Medical Ltd.
- Owen, C. P. (1986) ‘Factors influencing the retention and resistance of preparations for cast intracoronal restorations’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 674–677. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(86)90440-3.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Parker, M. H. et al. (1991) ‘Evaluation of resistance form for prepared teeth’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 66(6), pp. 730–733.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Potts, R. G., Shillingburg, H. T., Jr and Duncanson, M. G., Jr (2004) ‘Retention and resistance of preparations for cast restorations. 1980’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 92(3), pp. 207–212.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Proussaefs, P. et al. (2004) ‘The effectiveness of auxiliary features on a tooth preparation with inadequate resistance form’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 91(1), pp. 33–41.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Reisbick, M. H. and Shillingburg, H. T., Jr (1975) ‘Effect of preparation geometry on retention and resistance of cast gold restorations’, Journal - California Dental Association, 3(4), pp. 51–59.
- Roudsari, R. V. and Satterthwaite, J. D. (2011) ‘The influence of auxiliary features on the resistance form of short molars prepared for complete cast crowns’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 106(5), pp. 305–309.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sangwan, R. et al. (2016) ‘Evaluation of the effectiveness of auxiliary features on resistance with decreased occluso-cervical height: An In Vitro study’, Indian Journal of Dental Sciences, p. 139. doi: 10.4103/0976-4003.191730.
- Schwartz, N. L. et al. (1970) ‘Unserviceable crowns and fixed partial dentures: life-span and causes for loss of serviceability’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 81(6), pp. 1395–1401.
- Selvan, S. R. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1815. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00369.3.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Smith, B. G. N. (2003) ‘Planning and Making Crowns and Bridges’. doi: 10.3109/9780203419557.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subasree, S., Murthykumar, K. and Dhanraj (2016) ‘Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 609. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00116.5.
- Teteruck, W. R. and Mumford, G. (1966) ‘The fit of certain dental casting alloys using different investing materials and techniques’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 910–927. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(66)90014-x.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopalan, S. et al. (2014) ‘Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 17(2), pp. 260–264.
- Vijayalakshmi, B. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Medical management of cellulitis’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2067. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00422.4.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Walton, J. N., Gardner, F. M. and Agar, J. R. (1986) ‘A survey of crown and fixed partial denture failures: length of service and reasons for replacement’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 56(4), pp. 416–421.
- Zuckerman, G. R. (1988) ‘Resistance form for the complete veneer crown: principles of design and analysis’, The International journal of prosthodontics, 1(3), pp. 302–307.