Influence of Bruxism In Children Visiting A University Dental Hospital - A Retrospective Study
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3085-3094
AbstractSleep bruxism is classified as a movement disorder related to sleep. Despite a function is characterised by non-functional teeth contact, manifesting by grinding or tension of teeth. It is not a disease, but when exacerbated may lead to an imbalance of the stomatognathic System. Several therapeutic modalities have been suggested, but there is no consensus about the most efficient. The aim of the study was to access the various symptoms of bruxism in children. The study was based on the date of patients reported to the Department of Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry in a private Dental Hospital, India. The data was obtained from analysing the patient reports for the time frame of June 2019 and March 2020. Various symptoms were diagnosed among which prevalence of pain in tooth and sensitivity was the most common when compared to other symptoms. The study reveals that sensitivity is the most common symptom among the children having bruxism.
- Antonio, A. G., Pierro, V. S. da S. and Maia, L. C. (2006) ‘Bruxism in children: a warning sign for psychological problems’, Journal , 72(2), pp. 155–160.
- Bader, G. and Lavigne, G. (2000) ‘Sleep bruxism; an overview of an oromandibular sleep movement disorder. REVIEW ARTICLE’, Sleep medicine reviews, 4(1), pp. 27–43.
- Beebe, D. W. et al. (2004) ‘Neuropsychological effects of pediatric obstructive sleep apnea’, Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, pp. 962–975. doi: 10.1017/s135561770410708x.
- Bouden, A., Halayem, M. B. and Fakhfakh, R. (2002) ‘Preliminary validation study of infantile trait-anxiety scale’, Neuropsychiatrie de l’enfance et de l'adolescence, 50(1), pp. 25–30.
- Castelo, P. M. et al. (2005) ‘Relationship between oral parafunctional/nutritive sucking habits and temporomandibular joint dysfunction in primary dentition’, International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 29–36. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-263x.2005.00608.x.
- Christabel, S. L. and Linda Christabel, S. (2015) ‘Prevalence of Type of Frenal Attachment and Morphology of Frenum in Children, Chennai, Tamil Nadu’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 203–207. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1343.
- Clark, G. T., Beemsterboer, P. L. and Rugh, J. D. (1981) ‘Nocturnal masseter muscle activity and the symptoms of masticatory dysfunction’, Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, pp. 279–286. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2842.1981.tb00502.x.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- ‘Fluoride, Fluoridated Toothpaste Efficacy And Its Safety In Children - Review’ (2018) International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. doi: 10.31838/ijpr/2018.10.04.017.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Govindaraju, L. (2017) ‘Effectiveness of Chewable Tooth Brush in Children-A Prospective Clinical Study’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2017/24238.9528.
- Govindaraju, L. et al. (2018) ‘Assessment of Quality of Obturation, Instrumentation Time and Intensity of Pain with Pediatric Rotary File (Kedo-S) in Primary Anterior Teeth: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial’, International journal of clinical pediatric dentistry, 11(6), pp. 462–467.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017) ‘Knowledge and practice of rotary instrumentation in primary teeth among indian dentists: A questionnaire survey’, Journal of International Oral Health, p. 45. doi: 10.4103/jioh.jioh_4_17.
- Gurunathan, D. and Shanmugaavel, A. (2016) ‘Dental neglect among children in Chennai’, Journal of Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, p. 364. doi: 10.4103/0970-4388.191420.
- Hachmann, A. et al. (1999) ‘Efficacy of the nocturnal bite plate in the control of bruxism for 3 to 5 year old children’, The Journal of clinical pediatric dentistry, 24(1), pp. 9–15.
- Jacobson, A. (1989) ‘Prevalence of temporomandibular joint dysfunction for 6–10 year old Japanese children with chincap-orthodontic treatment’, American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, p. 90. doi: 10.1016/0889-5406(89)90239-4.
- Jeevanandan, G. (2017) ‘Kedo-S Paediatric Rotary Files for Root Canal Preparation in Primary Teeth – Case Report’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2017/25856.9508.
- Jeevanandan, G., Ganesh, S. and Arthilakshmi (2019) ‘Kedo file system for root canal preparation in primary teeth’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 30(4), pp. 622–624.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Johansson, A. et al. (1993) ‘A system for assessing the severity and progression of occlusal tooth wear’, Journal of oral rehabilitation, 20(2), pp. 125–131.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kato, T. and Lavigne, G. J. (2010) ‘Sleep bruxism: a sleep-related movement disorder’, Sleep medicine clinics. Available at: https://www.sleep.theclinics.com/article/S1556-407X(09)00101-5/abstract.
- Lakshmanan, L. et al. (2020) ‘Assessing the quality of obturation and instrumentation time using Kedo-S files, Reciprocating files and Hand K-files’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1822.
- Lavigne, G. J. et al. (2002) ‘Lower number of K-complexes and K-alphas in sleep bruxism: a controlled quantitative study’, Clinical Neurophysiology, pp. 686–693. doi: 10.1016/s1388-2457(02)00037-8.
- Lavigne, G. J., Rompre, P. H. and Montplaisir, J. Y. (1996) ‘Sleep Bruxism: Validity of Clinical Research Diagnostic Criteria in a Controlled Polysomnographic Study’, Journal of Dental Research, pp. 546–552. doi: 10.1177/00220345960750010601.
- Machado, E. et al. (2014) ‘Prevalence of sleep bruxism in children: A systematic review’, Dental Press Journal of Orthodontics, pp. 54–61. doi: 10.1590/2176-9451.19.6.054-061.oar.
- Machado, R. (2004) ‘COUTINHO, Eduardo. Literatura Comparada na América Latina: ensaios’, Organon. doi: 10.22456/2238-8915.31190.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nair, M. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of post-operative pain after pulpectomy with k-files, kedo-s files and mtwo files in deciduous molars -a randomized clinical trial’, Brazilian Dental Science, p. 411. doi: 10.14295/bds.2018.v21i4.1617.
- Packiri, S. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2017/28498.10622.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. (2019) ‘Comparison of instrumentation time and obturation quality between hand K-file, H-files, and rotary Kedo-S in root canal treatment of primary teeth: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 75–79.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Shetty, S. et al. (2010) ‘Bruxism: A Literature Review’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, pp. 141–148. doi: 10.1007/s13191-011-0041-5.
- Somasundaram, S. (2015) ‘Fluoride Content of Bottled Drinking Water in Chennai, Tamilnadu’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2015/14691.6594.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subramanyam, D. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of salivary malondialdehyde levels as a marker of lipid peroxidation in early childhood caries’, European journal of dentistry, 12(1), pp. 67–70.
- Svensson, P. et al. (2008) ‘Relationships between craniofacial pain and bruxism’, Journal of oral rehabilitation, 35(7), pp. 524–547.
- Vanderas, A. P. et al. (1999) ‘Urinary catecholamine levels and bruxism in children’, Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, pp. 103–110. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2842.1999.00341.x.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 247
- PDF Download: 111