Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences,Saveetha University,Chennai, India.
2 Senior lecturer,Department of oral and maxillofacial surgery,Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences,Saveetha University,Chennai, India.
3 Senior lecturer,Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences,Saveetha University,Chennai, India.
Introduction:Bell’s palsy is an idiopathic, acute peripheral palsy of the facial nerve that results in muscle weakness on one side of the face, characterized by sudden onset, and unilateral facial paralysis, lower motor neuron weakness of the facial nerve with no other neurological abnormalities and no readily identifiable cause. The aim of this study was to measure the knowledge and attitude among dental students A self administered questionnaire consisting of 17 questions regarding knowledge and awareness of bell's palsy .Data was collected through google forms. responses were analysed and statistical data is represented as pie charts. From the results 69% of the people selected facial nerve is affected by bell's palsy and 75% of the people selected that bell's palsy affects only one side of the face and 25% disagreed with it. 60% of the study participants said that recovery duration of immediate type facial paralysis is 4 hours. The knowledge of anatomy, diagnosis and treatment was satisfactory and suggest that they have sufficient awareness. Dental students and dentists should be exposed to any medical condition that could happen because of iatrogenic reasons.
- Abhinav, R. P. et al. (2019) ‘The Patterns and Etiology of Maxillofacial Trauma in South India’, Annals of maxillofacial surgery, 9(1), pp. 114–117.
- Adour, K. K. et al. (1978) ‘The True Nature of Bell’s Palsy: Analysis af 1,000 Consecutive Patients’, The Laryngoscope, 88(5), pp. 787–801.
- Al Meslet, A. et al. (2019) ‘Knowledge and Awareness of Bell’s Palsy Among Dentists and Dental Students in Riyadh City, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’, Microbiol Infect Dis, 3(3), pp. 1–5.
- AlYahya, K., Al-Qernas, A. and Al-Shaheen, A. (2018) ‘Awareness about Bell’s palsy common risk factors among males and females, Alhasa region of Saudi Arabia, a cross-sectional study’, Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine, 31(6313), pp. 1–7.
- Bell, C. and Davy, H. (1833) ‘On the nerves; giving an account of some experiments on their structure and functions, which lead to a new arrangement of the system’, Abstracts of the Papers Printed in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, 2, pp. 153–154.
- Bulstrode, N. W. and Harrison, D. H. (2005) ‘The phenomenon of the late recovered Bell’s palsy: treatment options to improve facial symmetry’, Plastic and reconstructive surgery, 115(6), pp. 1466–1471.
- Chagani, M. M. et al. (2011) ‘Healthcare workers’ knowledge, attitudes, practices on post exposure prophylaxis for HIV in Dar es Salaam’, Tanzania Medical Journal, 25(2), pp. 33–38.
- Chevalier, V. et al. (2010) ‘Facial palsy after inferior alveolar nerve block: case report and review of the literature’, International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery, 39(11), pp. 1139–1142.
- Christabel, A. et al. (2016) ‘Comparison of pterygomaxillary dysjunction with tuberosity separation in isolated Le Fort I osteotomies: a prospective, multi-centre, triple-blind, randomized controlled trial’, International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery, 45(2), pp. 180–185.
- Danielides, V. et al. (1994) ‘Comparative study of evoked electromyography and facial nerve latency test in the prognosis of idiopathic facial nerve palsy in childhood’, Child’s nervous system: ChNS: official journal of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery, 10(2), pp. 122–125.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Gantz, B. J. et al. (1999) ‘Surgical management of Bell’s palsy’, The Laryngoscope, 109(8), pp. 1177–1188.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Gronseth, G. S., Paduga, R. and American Academy of Neurology (2012) ‘Evidence-based guideline update: steroids and antivirals for Bell palsy: report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology’, Neurology, 79(22), pp. 2209–2213.
- Holla, R. et al. (2015) ‘Knowledge and practices regarding biomedical waste management among healthcare professionals in tertiary care hospitals of Mangalore, India’, Int J Community Med Public Health, 2, pp. 656–659.
- Ilea, A. et al. (2014) ‘Management of patients with facial paralysis in the dental office: A brief review of the literature and case report’, Quintessence international , 45(1), pp. 75–86.
- Jain, S. V. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of three-dimensional changes in pharyngeal airway following isolated lefort one osteotomy for the correction of vertical maxillary excess: a prospective study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 18(1), pp. 139–146.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jesudasan, J. S., Wahab, P. U. A. and Sekhar, M. R. M. (2015) ‘Effectiveness of 0.2% chlorhexidine gel and a eugenol-based paste on postoperative alveolar osteitis in patients having third molars extracted: a randomised controlled clinical trial’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 53(9), pp. 826–830.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Katusic, S. K. et al. (1986) ‘Incidence, clinical features, and prognosis in Bell’s palsy, Rochester, Minnesota, 1968--1982’, Annals of Neurology: Official Journal of the American Neurological Association and the Child Neurology Society, 20(5), pp. 622–627.
- Kumar, S. and Others (2016) ‘Bell Palsy’s and its Clinical Significance-A Review’, Research journal of pharmaceutical, biological and chemical sciences, 8(8), p. 752.
- Kumar, S. and Snena, S. (2016) ‘Knowledge and awareness regarding antibiotic prophylaxis for infective endocarditis among undergraduate dental students’, Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 9, pp. 154–159.
- Linder, T., Bossart, W. and Bodmer, D. (2005) ‘Bell’s palsy and Herpes simplex virus: fact or mystery?’, Otology & neurotology: official publication of the American Otological Society, American Neurotology Society [and] European Academy of Otology and Neurotology, 26(1), pp. 109–113.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Morales, D. R. et al. (2013) ‘Impact of clinical trial findings on Bell’s palsy management in general practice in the UK 2001–2012: interrupted time series regression analysis’, BMJ open, 3(7), p. e003121.
- Mp, S. K. (2017a) ‘Relationship between dental anxiety and pain experience during dental extractions’, Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 10(3), pp. 458–461.
- Mp, S. K. (2017b) ‘The emerging role of botulinum toxin in the treatment of orofacial disorders: Literature update’, Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 10(9), pp. 21–29.
- Murakami, S. et al. (1996) ‘Bell palsy and herpes simplex virus: identification of viral DNA in endoneurial fluid and muscle’, Annals of internal medicine, 124(1 Pt 1), pp. 27–30.
- Naveed, S. and Tasleem, H. N. (2014) ‘Bell’s Palsy “Laqwa”: Survey Based Study’, Open Access Library Journal, 1(4), pp. 1–5.
- Ong, S. W. X. et al. (2020) ‘Air, Surface Environmental, and Personal Protective Equipment Contamination by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) From a Symptomatic Patient’, JAMA: the journal of the American Medical Association. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.3227.
- Owais, K., Ahmad, A. and Rehman, A. (2013) ‘Eight Episodes of Bell’s Palsy in an elderly male: a rare presentation’, Rawal Medical Journal, 38(2), pp. 190–192.
- Packiri, S., Gurunathan, D. and Selvarasu, K. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZE06–ZE09.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- Patturaja, K. and Pradeep, D. (2016) ‘Awareness of Basic Dental Procedure among General Population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(9), pp. 1349–1351.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rahman, R. and Mp, S. K. (2017) ‘KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE, AND AWARENESS OF DENTAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS REGARDING HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS/ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME PATIENTS’, Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 10(5), pp. 175–180.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Rao, T. D. and Kumar, M. P. (2018) ‘Analgesic Efficacy of Paracetamol Vs Ketorolac after Dental Extractions’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 11(8), pp. 3375–3379.
- Salinas, R. A. et al. (2010) ‘Corticosteroids for Bell’s palsy (idiopathic facial paralysis)’, Cochrane database of systematic reviews , (3), p. CD001942.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Stjernquist-Desatnik, A., Skoog, E. and Aurelius, E. (2006) ‘Detection of herpes simplex and varicella-zoster viruses in patients with Bell’s palsy by the polymerase chain reaction technique’, The Annals of otology, rhinology, and laryngology, 115(4), pp. 306–311.
- Tiemstra, J. D. and Khatkhate, N. (2007) ‘Bell’s palsy: diagnosis and management’, American family physician, 76(7), pp. 997–1002.
- Vakharia, K. and Vakharia, K. (2016) ‘Bell’s Palsy’, Facial plastic surgery clinics of North America, 24(1), pp. 1–10.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.