Prevalence Of Traumatic Dental Injuries In Presence Of Oral Habits Among Preschoolers -an Institutional Based Retrospective Study.
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3050-3056
AbstractTraumatic dental injuries are most frequent during the first 10 years of life, it decreases with increase in age, and are very rarely seen after the age of 30. Etiologic factors are very much linked to falls due to accidents or steps are the most common cause of oral injuries. The management of traumatic dental injuries to the primary teeth differs from that used for permanent dentition. There is a close relationship between the apex of the root of the injured primary tooth and the underlying permanent tooth germ. Thus the aim of the study is to analyse the prevalence of traumatic dental injuries in primary teeth among children in the age group of 1-6 years. A retrospective analysis was done using dental archiving software present in the department of pedodontics where patients intraoperative photographs were checked for cross verification. The graphs and tables were done using SPSS software version 23 and chi square test was done. The results of the study showed that higher prevalence of traumatic dental injury was seen in females (25%) when compared to males (p>0.05), statistically not significant. Subjects with avulsion(33.33%) had oral habits of mouth breathing and subjects took minimum 1 day (16.67%) to report for treatment (p>0.05) statistically not significant.
- Andersson, L. (2013) ‘Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries’, Journal of endodontia, 39(3 Suppl), pp. S2–5.
- Andersson, L., Kahnberg, K.-E. and Anthony Pogrel, M. (2012) Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. John Wiley & Sons.
- Bhayya, D. P. and Shyagali, T. R. (2013) ‘Traumatic injuries in the primary teeth of 4- to 6-year-old school children in gulbarga city, India. A prevalence study’, Oral health and dental management, 12(1), pp. 17–23.
- Blomlöf, L. et al. (1980) ‘Vitality of periodontal ligament cells after storage of monkey teeth in milk or saliva’, Scandinavian journal of dental research, 88(5), pp. 441–445.
- Christabel, S. L. and Gurunathan, D. (2015) ‘Prevalence of Type of Frenal Attachment and Morphology of Frenum in Children, Chennai, Tamil Nadu’, World Journal of Dentistry, 6(4), pp. 203–207.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Ferguson, F. S. and Ripa, L. W. (1979) ‘Prevalence and type of traumatic injuries to the anterior teeth of preschool children’, The Journal of pedodontics, 4(1), pp. 3–8.
- Fuss, Z. et al. (1986) ‘Assessment of reliability of electrical and thermal pulp testing agents’, Journal of endodontia, 12(7), pp. 301–305.
- Garcia-Godoy, F., Garcia-Godoy, F. and Garcia-Godoy, F. M. (1987) ‘Primary teeth traumatic injuries at a private pediatric dental center’, Dental Traumatology, pp. 126–129. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.1987.tb00613.x.
- Garcia-Godoy, F., Sánchez, J. R. and Sánchez, R. R. (1982) ‘Proclination of teeth and its relationship with traumatic injuries in preschool and school children’, The Journal of pedodontics, 6(2), pp. 114–119.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Glendor, U. L. F. (2009) ‘Aetiology and risk factors related to traumatic dental injuries--a review of the literature’, Dental traumatology: official publication of International Association for Dental Traumatology, 25(1), pp. 19–31.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Govindaraju, L. and Gurunathan, D. (2017) ‘Effectiveness of Chewable Tooth Brush in Children-A Prospective Clinical Study’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), pp. ZC31–ZC34.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. (2017) ‘Clinical Evaluation of Quality of Obturation and Instrumentation Time using Two Modified Rotary File Systems with Manual Instrumentation in Primary Teeth’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZC55–ZC58.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017a) ‘Comparison of quality of obturation and instrumentation time using hand files and two rotary file systems in primary molars: A single-blinded randomized controlled trial’, European Journal of Dentistry, pp. 376–379. doi: 10.4103/ejd.ejd_345_16.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017b) ‘Knowledge and practice of rotary instrumentation in primary teeth among indian dentists: A questionnaire survey’, Journal of International Oral Health, p. 45. doi: 10.4103/jioh.jioh_4_17.
- Guedes, O. A. et al. (2010) ‘A retrospective study of traumatic dental injuries in a Brazilian dental urgency service’, Brazilian dental journal, 21(2), pp. 153–157.
- Gurunathan, D. and Shanmugaavel, A. K. (2016) ‘Dental neglect among children in Chennai’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 34(4), pp. 364–369.
- Jeevanandan, G. (2017) ‘Kedo-S Paediatric Rotary Files for Root Canal Preparation in Primary Teeth - Case Report’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), pp. ZR03–ZR05.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Lakshmanan, L. et al. (2020) ‘Assessing the quality of obturation and instrumentation time using Kedo-S files, Reciprocating files and Hand K-files’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1822.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Packiri, S., Gurunathan, D. and Selvarasu, K. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZE06–ZE09.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. (2019) ‘Comparison of instrumentation time and obturation quality between hand K-file, H-files, and rotary Kedo-S in root canal treatment of primary teeth: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), pp. 75–79.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Petersson, E. E., Andersson, L. and Sörensen, S. (1997) ‘Traumatic oral vs non-oral injuries’, Swedish dental journal, 21(1-2), pp. 55–68.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramakrishnan, M. and Shukri, M. (2018) ‘Fluoride, Fluoridated Toothpaste Efficacy And Its Safety In Children - Review’, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 10(04), pp. 109–114.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ravikumar, D., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017) ‘Evaluation of knowledge among general dentists in treatment of traumatic injuries in primary teeth: A cross-sectional questionnaire study’, European journal of dentistry, 11(2), pp. 232–237.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Somasundaram, S. (2015) ‘Fluoride Content of Bottled Drinking Water in Chennai, Tamilnadu’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2015/14691.6594.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subramanyam, D. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of salivary malondialdehyde levels as a marker of lipid peroxidation in early childhood caries’, European journal of dentistry, 12(1), pp. 67–70.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 191
- PDF Download: 100