Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospital,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences,Saveetha University,Chennai - 77, Tamil Nadu, India.
2 Senior Lecturer,Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics,Saveetha Dental College and Hospital, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences,Saveetha University,Chennai - 77, Tamil Nadu, India.
3 Senior Lecturer,Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,Saveetha Dental College and Hospital,Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences,Saveetha University,Chennai - 77, Tamil Nadu, India.
Postendodontic treatment management consists of restoration that should give protection and preservation of remaining tooth structure while giving satisfactory aesthetics appearance, its form, and good function. The endocrown consists of a single unit with a circular butt-joint finish line and a central retention cavity inside the pulp chamber. The goal of endocrown usage is to achieve minimally invasive preparations and to conserve the existing tooth structure. The aim of this survey was to assess the level of awareness and the current state of knowledge and opinions toward endocrown as one of postendodontic management in practice amongst dental practitioners. This cross-sectional study was done among dental interns and practitioners from various institutions in Chennai. A total of 120 participants took part in this survey study. Results were analysed and compared using the SPSS Statistical Software by doing both the frequency tests and correlation tests. More than half of dental practitioners (55.83%) reported that they were aware of the use of endocrown as one of the post endodontics management. However, only 27.5% said that they had practised the use of endocrown during their training. Within the limits of the study, dental practitioners commonly have less training and practice in management of post endodontics restoration using endocrown. In regard to their knowledge, they showed an acceptable level of knowledge and awareness of usage of endocrown as one of post endodontics management.
- dental aesthetic
- endodontics restoration
- Post endodontics management
- general practitioners
- Acosta, L. G. et al. (2017) ‘Posterior tooth restoration with endocrown: a case report’, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry, pp. S55–55. doi: 10.4317/medoral.176438745.
- Batson, E. R. et al. (2014) ‘Clinical outcomes of three different crown systems with CAD/CAM technology’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 112(4), pp. 770–777.
- Biacchi, G. R., Mello, B. and Basting, R. T. (2013) ‘The Endocrown: An Alternative Approach for Restoring Extensively Damaged Molars’, Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, pp. 383–390. doi: 10.1111/jerd.12065.
- Bindl, A. and Mörmann, W. H. (1999) ‘Clinical evaluation of adhesively placed Cerec endo-crowns after 2 years--preliminary results’, The journal of adhesive dentistry, 1(3), pp. 255–265.
- Bindl, A., Richter, B. and Mörmann, W. H. (2005) ‘Survival of ceramic computer-aided design/manufacturing crowns bonded to preparations with reduced macroretention geometry’, The International journal of prosthodontics, 18(3), pp. 219–224.
- Blanco, I. S. et al. (2017) ‘Endocrown, alternative to full coverage crowns: a case report’, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry, pp. S56–56. doi: 10.4317/medoral.176438747.
- Christensen, G. J. (1996) ‘Posts: necessary or unnecessary?’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 127(10), pp. 1522–4, 1526.
- Deepak, S. and Nivedhitha, M. S. (2017) ‘Endocrown-Post Endodontic Restoration-A Questionnaire Survey’, Research journal of pharmaceutical, biological and chemical sciences, 9(10), pp. 1827–1830.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dogui, H. et al. (2018) ‘Endocrown: An Alternative Approach for Restoring Endodontically Treated Molars with Large Coronal Destruction’, Case reports in dentistry, 2018, p. 1581952.
- D, R. and Rihab, D. (2019) ‘Restoration of Endodontically Treated Molars: Lights and Shadows of the Endocrown Approach’, Open Access Journal of Dental Sciences. doi: 10.23880/oajds-16000240.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Göhring, T. N., Mörmann, W. H. and Lutz, F. (1999) ‘Clinical and scanning electron microscopic evaluation of fiber-reinforced inlay fixed partial dentures: Preliminary results after one year’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 662–668. doi: 10.1016/s0022-3913(99)70007-7.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Imen, D. (2018) ‘“ENDOCROWN”: A Reliable Alternative to Restorate RCT Molar! – Two Case Reports’, Advances in Dentistry & Oral Health. doi: 10.19080/adoh.2018.09.555774.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality - An in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jose, J., P., A. and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different Treatment Modalities followed by Dental Practitioners for Ellis Class 2 Fracture – A Questionnaire-based Survey’, The Open Dentistry Journal, pp. 59–65. doi: 10.2174/1874210602014010059.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Lander, E. and Dietschi, D. (2008) ‘Endocrowns: a clinical report’, Quintessence international , 39(2), pp. 99–106.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manohar, M. P. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(6), pp. 716–720.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- McCabe, J. F. and Walls, A. W. G. (1998) ‘Application of dental materials’, Maiden: Blackwell Science, pp. 189–201.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nandakumar, M. and Nasim, I. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 516–520.
- Nasim, I. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 510. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_51_18.
- Noor, S. S. S. E., S Syed Shihaab and Pradeep (2016) ‘Chlorhexidine: Its properties and effects’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1755. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00353.x.
- Oswal, N. et al. (2018) ‘Management of endodontically treated teeth with endocrown’, Journal of Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences University, 13(1), p. 60.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Pissis, P. (1995) ‘Fabrication of a metal-free ceramic restoration utilizing the monobloc technique’, Practical periodontics and aesthetic dentistry: PPAD, 7(5), pp. 83–94.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth--A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, 22(2), pp. 249–256.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019a) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa brasileira em odontopediatria e clinica integrada, 19. Available at: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1983-46322019000100364&script=sci_arttext.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019b) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ramanathan, S. and Solete, P. (2015) ‘Cone-beam Computed Tomography Evaluation of Root Canal Preparation using Various Rotary Instruments: An in vitro Study’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 869–872. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-1773.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- Robbins, J. W. (2002) ‘Restoration of the endodontically treated tooth’, Dental clinics of North America, 46(2), pp. 367–384.
- Rosenstiel, S. F., Land, F. M. and Fujimoto, J. (2006) ‘Contemporary Fixed Prosthodontics, ; Mosby’. Elsevier.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Santos, M. J. et al. (2013) ‘Clinical Evaluation of Ceramic Inlays and Onlays Fabricated With Two Systems: Five-Year Follow-Up’, Operative Dentistry, pp. 3–11. doi: 10.2341/12-039-c.
- Sevimli, G., Cengiz, S. and Oruç, S. (2015) ‘ENDOCROWNS: REVIEW’, Journal of Istanbul University Faculty of Dentistry, p. 57. doi: 10.17096/jiufd.71363.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Siddique, R. et al. (2019) ‘Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 22(1), pp. 40–47.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Teja, K. V. and Ramesh, S. (2019) ‘Shape optimal and clean more’, Saudi Endodontic Journal, 9(3), p. 235.
- Teja, K. V., Ramesh, S. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(6), pp. 592–596.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Veselinović, V. et al. (2008) ‘Restoring endodontically treated teeth with all-ceramic endo-crowns: case report’, Stomatoloski glasnik Srbije, 55(1), pp. 54–64.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Walmsley, D. (2012) ‘Book reviewFundamentals of Fixed Prosthodontics 4th edn. By Herbert T. Shillingburg HT and colleagues. London: Quintessence Books, 2012. ISBN 978-0-86715-475-7’, Dental Update, pp. 592–592. doi: 10.12968/denu.2012.39.8.592.
- Zainon, N. A., Kassim, Z. H. M. and Lim, T. W. (2019) ‘Endocrown: An Alternative Approach for Restoring Endodontically Treated Teeth’, Malaysian dental journal, (1). Available at: https://mda.org.my/mdj/archieve/2019-01/2019-01-02-draaina1.pdf.