Document Type : Research Article
1 Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,Saveetha Dental College,Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Science,Saveetha University, Chennai
2 Director Of ProgrammeDepartment of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,Saveetha Dental College,Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Science,Saveetha University, Chennai
3 Senior Lecturer,Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,Saveetha Dental College,Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Science,Saveetha University, Chennai
Evolution of fracture management after the advent of asepsis and anesthesia has changed its trend toward open reduction and internal fixation(ORIF). In maxillofacial skeleton, to re-establish both form and function, semi-rigid fixation has been favored in recent times. Miniplates are commonly made of stainless steel and titanium. The fate of these post-ORIF is still controversial with both schools of thought providing substantial valid arguments. Aim of this study is to assess the incidence, site, type of material and reason for miniplate removal. This retrospective observational study was conducted among patients who reported to the Department of Oral and maxillofacial surgery, Saveetha Dental College, Chennai between June 2019 to March 2020. Inclusion criterias were patients of both gender and any age group undergoing miniplate removal post-ORIF and exclusion criteria were those undergoing hardware removal secondary to other procedures like orthognathic or reconstructive surgery and patients who are suffering from debilitating injuries physically and mentally challenged patients. Among 17 patients evaluated, incidence of miniplate removal was more common in males (76.5%) in the third decade of life. Infection (82.4%) was the most common reason for removal, while stainless steel was the most common type of miniplate removed (82.4%). 88.2% of miniplates removed had an adjacent dentate structure. No association was found between reason for removal and type of miniplate, proximity to dentate structure and reason for removal. Prospective studies and systematic analysis required to arrive at consensus.
- Abhinav, R. P. et al. (2019) ‘The Patterns and Etiology of Maxillofacial Trauma in South India’, Annals of maxillofacial surgery, 9(1), pp. 114–117. doi: 10.4103/ams.ams_233_18.
- Abosadegh, M. M. et al. (2019) ‘Epidemiology of Maxillofacial Fractures at a Teaching Hospital in Malaysia: A Retrospective Study’, BioMed research international, 2019, p. 9024763. doi: 10.1155/2019/9024763.
- Akadiri, O. A. and Omitiola, O. G. (2012) ‘Maxillo-mandibular fixation: utility and current techniques in modern practice’, Nigerian journal of medicine: journal of the National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria, 21(2), pp. 125–133. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23311177.
- Allgöwer, M. et al. (2013) Manual of INTERNAL FIXATION: Techniques Recommended by the AO-ASIF Group. Springer Science & Business Media. Available at: https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=3J4iBgAAQBAJ.
- Brown, J. S. et al. (1989) ‘The fate of miniplates in facial trauma and orthognathic surgery: a retrospective study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 27(4), pp. 306–315. doi: 10.1016/0266-4356(89)90043-0.
- Christabel, A. et al. (2016) ‘Comparison of pterygomaxillary dysjunction with tuberosity separation in isolated Le Fort I osteotomies: a prospective, multi-centre, triple-blind, randomized controlled trial’, International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery, 45(2), pp. 180–185. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2015.07.021.
- Clark, H. B., JR. and Hayes, P. A. (1963) ‘A Study of the Comparative Effects of “Rigid” and “Semirigid” Fixation on the Healing of Fractures of the Mandible in Dogs’, JBJS. Available at: https://journals.lww.com/jbjsjournal/Citation/1963/45040/A_Study_of_the_Comparative_Effects_of__Rigid__and.5.aspx.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730. doi: 10.1002/ddr.21571.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295. doi: 10.1097/ID.0000000000000885.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64. doi: 10.1016/j.ajg.2018.03.002.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121. doi: 10.1111/jop.12806.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197. doi: 10.1016/j.hbpd.2018.04.003.
- Frost, D. E., El-Attar, A. and Moos, K. F. (1983) ‘Evaluation of metacarpal bone plates in the mandibular fracture’, The British journal of oral surgery, 21(3), pp. 214–221. doi: 10.1016/0007-117x(83)90045-8.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702. doi: 10.1177/0960327119839173.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Hernigou, P. and Pariat, J. (2017) ‘History of internal fixation (part 1): early developments with wires and plates before World War II’, International orthopaedics, 41(6), pp. 1273–1283. doi: 10.1007/s00264-016-3347-4.
- Islamoglu, K. et al. (2002) ‘Complications and removal rates of miniplates and screws used for maxillofacial fractures’, Annals of plastic surgery, 48(3), pp. 265–268. doi: 10.1097/00000637-200203000-00006.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jesudasan, J. S., Wahab, P. U. A. and Sekhar, M. R. M. (2015) ‘Effectiveness of 0.2% chlorhexidine gel and a eugenol-based paste on postoperative alveolar osteitis in patients having third molars extracted: a randomised controlled clinical trial’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 53(9), pp. 826–830. doi: 10.1016/j.bjoms.2015.06.022.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534. doi: 10.1111/cid.12609.
- Khandelwal, P. et al. (2019) ‘Miniplate removal in operated cases of maxillofacial region in a dental institute in Rajasthan, India’, Medicine and pharmacy reports, 92(4), pp. 393–400. doi: 10.15386/mpr-1195.
- Lane, W. A. (1907) ‘Clinical Remarks ON THE OPERATIVE TREATMENT OF FRACTURES’, British medical journal, 1(2418), pp. 1037–1038. doi: 10.1136/bmj.1.2418.1037.
- Lesić, A. R. et al. (2012) ‘The development of internal fixation - historical overview’, Acta chirurgica Iugoslavica, 59(3), pp. 9–13. doi: 10.2298/aci1203009l.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203. doi: 10.1155/2019/7046203.
- Marimuthu, M. et al. (2018) ‘Canonical Wnt pathway gene expression and their clinical correlation in oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(3), pp. 291–297. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.IJDR_375_17.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Matthew, I. R. et al. (1996) ‘In vivo surface analysis of titanium and stainless steel miniplates and screws’, International journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery, 25(6), pp. 463–468. doi: 10.1016/s0901-5027(96)80085-3.
- Matthew, I. R. and Frame, J. W. (1999) ‘Policy of consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeons towards removal of miniplate components after jaw fracture fixation: pilot study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 37(2), pp. 110–112. doi: 10.1054/bjom.1997.0084.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2019.05.028.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Michelet, F. X., Deymes, J. and Dessus, B. (1973) ‘Osteosynthesis with miniaturized screwed plates in maxillo-facial surgery’, Journal of maxillofacial surgery, 1(2), pp. 79–84. doi: 10.1016/s0301-0503(73)80017-7.
- Mp, S. K. (2017a) ‘RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN DENTAL ANXIETY AND PAIN EXPERIENCE DURING DENTAL EXTRACTIONS’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, pp. 458–461. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2017.v10i3.16518.
- Mp, S. K. (2017b) ‘THE EMERGING ROLE OF BOTULINUM TOXIN IN THE TREATMENT OF OROFACIAL DISORDERS: LITERATURE UPDATE’, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, pp. 21–29. doi: 10.22159/ajpcr.2017.v10i9.16914.
- Packiri, S., Gurunathan, D. and Selvarasu, K. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZE06–ZE09. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2017/28498.10622.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472. doi: 10.1007/s40368-019-00429-5.
- Park, H.-C. et al. (2016) ‘Mini-plate removal in maxillofacial trauma patients during a five-year retrospective study’, Journal of the Korean Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 42(4), pp. 182–186. doi: 10.5125/jkaoms.2016.42.4.182.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321. doi: 10.1007/s12663-016-0975-6.
- Patturaja, K. and Pradeep, D. (2016) ‘Awareness of Basic Dental Procedure among General Population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1349. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00258.4.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_132_18.
- Rahman, R. and Santhoshkumar, M. (2017) ‘KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE, AND AWARENESS OF DENTAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS REGARDING HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS/ACQUIRED IMMUNODEFICIENCY SYNDROME PATIENTS’. Available at: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/3909fac48ced958dae41d99dca00d81097480262 (Accessed: 2 June 2020).
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95. doi: 10.1016/j.enzmictec.2018.06.009.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531. doi: 10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2019.111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550. doi: 10.1007/s00784-018-2775-5.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172. doi: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2019.02.037.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248. doi: 10.1002/JPER.17-0445.
- Rao, T. D. and Santhosh Kumar, M. P. (2018) ‘Analgesic Efficacy of Paracetamol Vs Ketorolac after Dental Extractions’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3375. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00621.2.
- Rosen, G. (1950) ‘Book Reviews’, Journal of the history of medicine and allied sciences, V(Spring), pp. 228–229. doi: 10.1093/jhmas/V.Spring.228.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60. doi: 10.1111/jphd.12348.
- Santhosh Kumar, M. P. and M., D. S. (no date) ‘Newer Delivery Systems for Local Anesthesia in Dentistry’. Available at: https://www.jpsr.pharmainfo.in/Documents/Volumes/vol7Issue05/jpsr07051504.pdf.
- Schaftenaar, E. et al. (2009) ‘Presentation and management of maxillofacial trauma in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania’, East African medical journal, 86(6), pp. 254–258. doi: 10.4314/eamj.v86i6.64455.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2019.06.033.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306. doi: 10.1111/jop.12835.
- Sweta, V. R., Abhinav, R. P. and Ramesh, A. (2019) ‘Role of Virtual Reality in Pain Perception of Patients Following the Administration of Local Anesthesia’, Annals of maxillofacial surgery, 9(1), pp. 110–113. doi: 10.4103/ams.ams_263_18.
- Torgersen, S. and Gjerdet, N. R. (1994) ‘Retrieval study of stainless steel and titanium miniplates and screws used in maxillofacial surgery’, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, pp. 256–262. doi: 10.1007/bf00122394.
- Uhthoff, H. K., Poitras, P. and Backman, D. S. (2006) ‘Internal plate fixation of fractures: short history and recent developments’, Journal of orthopaedic science: official journal of the Japanese Orthopaedic Association, 11(2), pp. 118–126. doi: 10.1007/s00776-005-0984-7.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450. doi: 10.21815/JDE.019.054.
- Vijayakumar Jain, S. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of Three-Dimensional Changes in Pharyngeal Airway Following Isolated Lefort One Osteotomy for the Correction of Vertical Maxillary Excess: A Prospective Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 18(1), pp. 139–146. doi: 10.1007/s12663-018-1113-4.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448. doi: 10.1002/JPER.18-0673.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59. doi: 10.1111/scd.12267.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2017.12.020.