Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University Chennai 77
2 Professor & Head of Admin, Department of Oral medicine and Radiology, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai 77
3 Reader, Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai 77
The prevalence of tobacco use has increased over the past decades. Traditional forms like betel quid, tobacco with lime and tobacco tooth powder are commonly used, and the use of new products is increasing, not only among men but also among children, teenagers and women. The aim of the study is to find the prevalence of smoking habits and its variations in patients reporting to a private Dental University, India. The case sheets of patients were obtained from the patient record system. The data of each patient regarding the duration, type and pattern of smoking habit was obtained and tabulated. The results of the study show prevalence of the pattern of smoking habit in conventional smoking is 69% and in reverse smoking is 31%. Prevalence of type of smoking tobacco showed prevalence of cigarettes to be 96% and to be bidi 4%. The present study shows there is a significant association based on comparison of age with pattern of smoking and age with the duration of smoking done using chi square test (p value-0.000). Thus higher prevalence was seen in the age group of 41-60 years (48%), 21-40 years (42%) and in males with cigarettes being the most preferred smoking tobacco. As cigarettes are accessible, it is also more carcinogenic and it is increasing among the youth, hence precautions must be taken in earlier age groups of 21-40 years for early interventions such as anti tobacco sessions and guidance to decrease the consumption of tobacco.
- Asmussen, E. and Hansen, E. K. (1986) ‘Surface discoloration of restorative resins in relation to surface softening and oral hygiene’, Scandinavian journal of dental research, 94(2), pp. 174–177.
- Behera, D. and Malik, S. K. (1987) ‘Chronic respiratory disease in Chandigarh teachers--a follow-up study’, The Indian journal of chest diseases & allied sciences, 29(1), pp. 25–28.
- Bhattacharyya, H. et al. (2018) ‘Tobacco: Consumption pattern and risk factors in selected areas of Shillong, Meghalaya’, Journal of family medicine and primary care, 7(6), pp. 1406–1410.
- Chaitanya, N. C. et al. (2017) ‘Role of Vitamin E and Vitamin A in Oral Mucositis Induced by Cancer Chemo/Radiotherapy- A Meta-analysis’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(5), pp. ZE06–ZE09.
- Chaitanya, N. C. et al. (2018) ‘An Insight and Update on the Analgesic Properties of Vitamin C’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 10(3), pp. 119–125.
- Chinwong, D. et al. (2018) ‘A Comparison of Gender Differences in Smoking Behaviors, Intention to Quit, and Nicotine Dependence among Thai University Students’, Journal of addiction, 2018, p. 8081670.
- Choudhury, P. et al. (2015) ‘Vanishing roots: first case report of idiopathic multiple cervico-apical external root resorption’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(3), pp. ZD17–9.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dharman, S. and Muthukrishnan, A. (2016) ‘Oral mucous membrane pemphigoid - Two case reports with varied clinical presentation’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 20(6), pp. 630–634.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Efroymson, D. et al. (2001) ‘Hungry for tobacco: an analysis of the economic impact of tobacco consumption on the poor in Bangladesh’, Tobacco control, 10(3), pp. 212–217.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Haas, R. et al. (1996) ‘The relationship of smoking on peri-implant tissue: a retrospective study’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 76(6), pp. 592–596.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jena, P. K. and Kishore, J. (2012) ‘Prevalence and Correlates of Hardcore Smoking in India’, Research & Reviews: A Journal of Medicine, 2(2). Available at: http://stmjournals.com/index.php?journal=RRJoM&page=article&op=view&path%5B%5D=2639 (Accessed: 9 June 2020).
- Jindal, S. K. (2006) ‘Respiratory disease epidemiology in India’, Lung India: official organ of Indian Chest Society, 23(2), p. 93.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Lopez, A. D., Collishaw, N. E. and Piha, T. (1994) ‘A descriptive model of the cigarette epidemic in developed countries’, Tobacco control, 3(3), p. 242.
- Maheswari, T. N. U. et al. (2018) ‘Salivary micro RNA as a potential biomarker in oral potentially malignant disorders: A systematic review’, Ci ji yi xue za zhi = Tzu-chi medical journal, 30(2), pp. 55–60.
- Malaowalla, A. M. et al. (1976) ‘Oral cancer in 57,518 industrial workers of Gujarat, India.A prevalence and followup study’, Cancer, pp. 1882–1886. doi: 3.0.co;2-2">10.1002/1097-0142(197604)37:4<1882::aid-cncr2820370437>3.0.co;2-2.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, F. S. et al. (1977) ‘Reverse smoking in Andhra Pradesh, India: variability of clinical and histologic appearances of palatal changes’, International journal of oral surgery, 6(2), pp. 75–83.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mishra, S. et al. (2016) ‘Trends in bidi and cigarette smoking in India from 1998 to 2015, by age, gender and education’, BMJ global health, 1(1), p. e000005.
- Misra, S. R. et al. (2015) ‘Metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma in the maxilla and mandible, an extremely rare presentation’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 6(Suppl 1), pp. S117–21.
- Muthukrishnan, A. and Bijai Kumar, L. (2017) ‘Actinic cheilosis: early intervention prevents malignant transformation’, BMJ case reports, 2017. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-218654.
- Muthukrishnan, A., Bijai Kumar, L. and Ramalingam, G. (2016) ‘Medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: a dentist’s nightmare’, BMJ case reports, 2016. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-214626.
- Muthukrishnan, A. and Warnakulasuriya, S. (2018) ‘Oral health consequences of smokeless tobacco use’, The Indian journal of medical research, 148(1), pp. 35–40.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pandey, G. K. et al. (2001) ‘Patterns of tobacco use amongst school teachers’, Indian journal of public health, 45(3), pp. 82–87.
- Patil, S. R. et al. (2018) ‘Three-Rooted Mandibular First Molars in a Saudi Arabian Population: A CBCT Study’, Pesquisa brasileira em odontopediatria e clinica integrada, 18(1), p. 4133.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ramesh, T. et al. (2014) ‘Original Article’, Indian Journal of Dentistry, Supplement(5), pp. 34–38.
- Reddy, K. S. and Gupta, P. C. (2004) ‘Tobacco control in India’, New delhi: ministry of health and family welfare, Government of India, pp. 43–47.
- Rohini, S. and Jayanth Kumar, V. (2017) ‘Incidence of dental caries and pericoronitis associated with impacted mandibular third molar – A radiographic study’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(4), pp. 1081–1084.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sarkar, A., Roy, D. and Nongpiur, A. (2019) ‘A population-based study on tobacco consumption in urban slums: Its prevalence, pattern, and determinants’, Journal of family medicine and primary care, 8(3), pp. 892–898.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Steele, J. C. et al. (2015) ‘World Workshop on Oral Medicine VI: an international validation study of clinical competencies for advanced training in oral medicine’, Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology and oral radiology, 120(2), pp. 143–51.e7.
- Subashri, A. and Maheshwari, T. N. U. (2016) ‘Knowledge and attitude of oral hygiene practice among dental students’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(11), pp. 1840–1842.
- Subha, M. and Arvind, M. (2019) ‘Role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Evaluation of Trigeminal Neuralgia with its Anatomical Correlation’, Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, 12(1), pp. 289–296.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopal, A. and Maheswari, T. N. U. (2016) ‘Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in oral potentially malignant disorders: A systematic review’, Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, p. 474. doi: 10.4103/0973-029x.190951.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Wald, N. J. and Hackshaw, A. K. (1996) ‘Cigarette smoking: an epidemiological overview’, British medical bulletin, 52(1), pp. 3–11.
- World Health Organization (2013) WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2013: Enforcing Bans on Tobacco Advertising, Promotion and Sponsorship. World Health Organization.