Awareness about ocular complications due to dental infections among dentists
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 2714-2721
AbstractRare complications due dental infections injurious to the eye are ophthalmia, defective vision and blindness. These complications are many times neglected and not given much importance. There are no proper guidelines in preventing and managing the ocular problems.This study was done to assess the awareness among dentists about dental infection induced ocular complications. A self administered questionnaire was made and circulated among the participants. The sample size was 170 and the questionnaire was circulated through online means. The data was obtained and the results were tabulated using SPSS software. Only 37% participants were aware that dental infection can cause ocular complications. Textbooks and colleagues were the key sources of information. Majority of them showed interest in knowing the preventive and management methods.From this study, lack of knowledge and aptitude among the dentists about ocular complications was observed. Therefore further information must be provided and training must be given through workshops, camps.
- Ajay, R. et al. (2017) ‘Effect of surface modifications on the retention of cement-retained implant crowns under fatigue loads: An In vitro study’, Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences, p. 154. doi: 10.4103/jpbs.jpbs_146_17.
- Ashok, V. et al. (2014) ‘Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report’, Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, 14(Suppl 1), pp. 279–282.
- Ashok, V. and Suvitha, S. (2016) ‘Awareness of all ceramic restoration in rural population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(10), pp. 1691–1693.
- Basha, F. Y. S. and Ganapathy, D. (2018) ‘Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women’, Research Journal of. Available at: http://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:rjpt&volume=11&issue=7&article=068.
- Blake, F. A. S. et al. (2006) ‘The Acute Orbit: Etiology, Diagnosis, and Therapy’, Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, pp. 87–93. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2005.09.016.
- Brodsky, C. D. and Dower, J. S. (2001) ‘Middle ear problems after a Gow-Gates injection’, The Journal of the American Dental Association, pp. 1420–1423. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.2001.0058.
- Caruso, P. A. et al. (2006) ‘Odontogenic Orbital Inflammation: Clinical and CT Findings—Initial Observations’, Radiology, pp. 187–194. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2391041243.
- DeCroos, F. C. et al. (2011) ‘Management of odontogenic orbital cellulitis’, Journal of medicine and life, 4(3), pp. 314–317.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Ganapathy, D. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 10(12), pp. ZC67–ZC70.
- Ganapathy, D. M., Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2017) ‘Effect of Coated Surfaces influencing Screw Loosening in Implants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 496–502. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1493.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gillett, H. W. (1930) ‘INFECTIONS OF THE MOUTH AND THEIR RELATION TO DISEASES OF THE EYE’, Archives of Ophthalmology, p. 228. doi: 10.1001/archopht.1930.00810100074010.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Harbour, R. C., Trobe, J. D. and Ballinger, W. E. (1984) ‘Septic cavernous sinus thrombosis associated with gingivitis and parapharyngeal abscess’, Archives of ophthalmology, 102(1), pp. 94–97.
- Jain, A. R. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of correlation of width of maxillary anterior teeth using extraoral and intraoral factors in Indian population: A systematic review’, World J Dent, 9, pp. 68–75.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Jyothi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Periodontal health status of three different groups wearing temporary partial denture’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(12), pp. 4339–4342.
- Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 11(5), pp. 2121–2126.
- Krepler, K., Wedrich, A. and Schranz, R. (1996) ‘Intraocular Hemorrhage Associated With Dental Implant Surgery’, American Journal of Ophthalmology, pp. 745–746. doi: 10.1016/s0002-9394(14)70504-5.
- Liau, F. L. et al. (2008) ‘Cardiovascular influence of dental anxiety during local anesthesia for tooth extraction’, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology, pp. 16–26. doi: 10.1016/j.tripleo.2007.03.015.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehra, P., Caiazzo, A. and Bestgen, S. (1999) ‘ODONTOGENIC SINUSITIS CAUSING ORBITAL CELLULITIS’, The Journal of the American Dental Association, pp. 1086–1092. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.1999.0340.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Muñoz-Guerra, M. F. et al. (2006) ‘Subperiosteal abscess of the orbit: an unusual complication of the third molar surgery’, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology, pp. e9–e13. doi: 10.1016/j.tripleo.2006.03.009.
- Ngeow, W. C. (1999) ‘Orbital cellulitis as a sole symptom of odontogenic infection’, Singapore medical journal, 40(2), pp. 101–103.
- Ng, S. G. J. et al. (2001) ‘Necrotising orbital cellulitis’, Eye, pp. 173–177. doi: 10.1038/eye.2001.55.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Poon, T. L. et al. (2001) ‘Odontogenic subperiosteal abscess of orbit: a case report’, Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, pp. 469–471. doi: 10.1054/jocn.2000.0827.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ranganathan, H., Ganapathy, D. M. and Jain, A. R. (2017) ‘Cervical and Incisal Marginal Discrepancy in Ceramic Laminate Veneering Materials: A SEM Analysis’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 8(2), pp. 272–278.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Selvan, S. R. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(10), pp. 1815–1818.
- Sethi, D. S. and Stanley, R. E. (1991) ‘Parapharyngeal abscesses’, The Journal of laryngology and otology, 105(12), pp. 1025–1030.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Steinbugler, W. F. C. (1930) ‘DENTAL INFECTION IN DISEASES OF THE EYE’, Archives of Ophthalmology, pp. 220–227. doi: 10.1001/archopht.1930.00810100066009.
- Stübinger, S. et al. (2005) ‘Intraorbital abscess’, The Journal of the American Dental Association, pp. 921–925. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.2005.0293.
- Subasree, S., Murthykumar, K. and Others (2016) ‘Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(5), pp. 609–612.
- Thakar, M. and Thakar, A. (1995) ‘Odontogenic orbital cellulitis. Report of a case and considerations on route of spread’, Acta ophthalmologica Scandinavica, 73(5), pp. 470–471.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopalan, S. et al. (2014) ‘Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 17(2), pp. 260–264.
- Vijayalakshmi, B. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Medical management of cellulitis’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(11), pp. 2067–2070.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Article View: 355
- PDF Download: 270