Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental college and hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Science[SIMATS], Saveetha University,Chennai-600077,India
2 Professor, Department of Orthodontics, Saveetha Dental college and hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Science[SIMATS], Saveetha university, Chennai-600077,India
3 Reader, Department of Oral Medicine and radiology, Saveetha Dental college and hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Science[SIMATS], Saveetha university ,Chennai-600077,India
Open bite is defined as a developmental or acquired malocclusion whereby no vertical overlap exists between maxillary and mandibular anterior or posterior teeth. It can either be dental or skeletal open bite; anterior or posterior open bite. Open bite can result in mouth breathing causing changes in the muscular force and can lead to increased susceptibility of gingivitis. The study is conducted to find a correlation between open bite and gingivitis. The aim of the study is to evaluate the prevalence of gingivitis in patients with open bite. This study was based on data collected from the digital database of Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals. Over 86000 patient records were reviewed and analysed over a six month period from September 2019 to February 2019. A total of 1000 case sheets of patients were reviewed. Cross verification of data for error was done by presence of additional reviewers and by photographic evaluation. Simple random sampling was done to minimize sampling bias. After reviewing, 1000 case sheets were filtered based on data required. The final sample size was 703 patients with Open Bite. Male patients had high prevalence of open bite [53.5%] and presence of gingivitis in open bite patients was 63.9%. The age group 21-40 years [35.70%] had high frequency of gingivitis. P value was found to be insignificant >0.05.Within the limits of the study it was observed that male patients had more prevalence for open bite malocclusion and presence of gingivitis. The age group 21-40 years at high frequency of gingivitis prevalence in patients with open bite.
- Arun, S. S., Chandrasekhar, S. and Kumar, A. (2015) ‘SBS vs Inhouse Recycling Methods-An Invitro Evaluation’, Journal of clinical and. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4606331/.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dinesh, S. P. S. and Saravana Dinesh, S. P. (2013) ‘An Indigenously Designed Apparatus for Measuring Orthodontic Force’, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND DIAGNOSTIC RESEARCH. doi: 10.7860/jcdr/2013/7143.3631.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Edler, R. J. (1990) ‘Problems in the orthodontic management of orthognathic cases’, European journal of orthodontics. Available at: https://academic.oup.com/ejo/article-abstract/12/4/420/541741.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Felicita, A. S. and Chandrasekar, S. (2012) ‘Determination of craniofacial relation among the subethnic Indian population: A modified approach-(Sagittal relation)’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research. Available at: http://www.ijdr.in/article.asp?issn=0970-9290;year=2012;volume=23;issue=3;spage=305;epage=312;au.
- Felicita, A. S. and Sumathi Felicita, A. (2017a) ‘Orthodontic management of a dilacerated central incisor and partially impacted canine with unilateral extraction – A case report’, The Saudi Dental Journal, pp. 185–193. doi: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2017.04.001.
- Felicita, A. S. and Sumathi Felicita, A. (2017b) ‘Quantification of intrusive/retraction force and moment generated during en-masse retraction of maxillary anterior teeth using mini-implants: A conceptual approach’, Dental Press Journal of Orthodontics, pp. 47–55. doi: 10.1590/2177-6709.22.5.047-055.oar.
- Felicita, A. S. and Sumathi Felicita, A. (2018) ‘Orthodontic extrusion of Ellis Class VIII fracture of maxillary lateral incisor – The sling shot method’, The Saudi Dental Journal, pp. 265–269. doi: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2018.05.001.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Gulati, M. S., Grewal, N. and Kaur, A. (1998) ‘A comparative study of effects of mouth breathing and normal breathing on gingival health in children’, Journal of the Indian Society of. Available at: https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/10635129.
- Haytac, M. C. and Öz, I. A. (2007) ‘Atypical streptococcal infection of gingiva associated with chronic mouth breathing’, Quintessence international. Available at: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=00336572&asa=Y&AN=36823054&h=4SrBT1tTU%2FHYZXlaERrLMHjNlmSWzE5KGW9jmV8QwCc6LkcfCg3oNu9m0e3AzOdQumud2V7ZsulGugUWac1Wdw%3D%3D&crl=c.
- Jacobson, L. (1973) ‘Mouthbreathing and gingivitis’, Journal of Periodontal Research, pp. 269–277. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0765.1973.tb01115.x.
- Jahanimoghadam, F. and Shamsaddin, H. (2016) ‘The prevalence and risk factors of gingivitis in a population of 6-year-old children in Iran’, Journal of Oral Health and Oral Epidemiology, 5(3), pp. 129–133.
- Jain, R. K., Kumar, S. P. and Manjula, W. S. (2014) ‘Comparison of intrusion effects on maxillary incisors among mini implant anchorage, j-hook headgear and utility arch’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4149137/.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Krishnan, S., Pandian, K. and Kumar, S. (2018) ‘Angular photogrammetric analysis of the soft-tissue facial profile of Indian adults’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 137. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_496_16.
- Krishnan, S. and Saravana Pandian, A. K. S. (2015) ‘Effect of bisphosphonates on orthodontic tooth movement—an update’, Journal of clinical and. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4437175/.
- Kudirkaite, I. et al. (2016) ‘Age and gender influence on oral hygiene among adolescents with fixed orthodontic appliances’, Stomatologija / issued by public institution ‘Odontologijos studija’ ... [et al.], 18(2), pp. 61–65.
- Kumar, K. R. R. et al. (2011) ‘Depth of resin penetration into enamel with 3 types of enamel conditioning methods: A confocal microscopic study’, American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, pp. 479–485. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2010.10.022.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Memon, A. B. et al. (2015) ‘Plaque score during orthodontic treatment in relation to age and gender’, JPDA, 24(02), p. 100.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Nanda, R. (2005) Biomechanics and Esthetic Strategies in Clinical Orthodontics. Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Profitt, W. R., Fields, H. W. and Sarver, D. M. (2007) ‘Contemporary Orthodontics. 4 [sup] th ed’, United States: Mosby.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Rubika, J., Felicita, A. S. and Sivambiga, V. (2015) ‘Gonial angle as an indicator for the prediction of growth pattern’, World J Dent, 6(3), pp. 161–163.
- Samantha, C., Sundari, S. and Chandrasekhar, S. (2017) ‘Comparative evaluation of two Bis-GMA based orthodontic bonding adhesives-A randomized clinical trial’, Journal of clinical and. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5449915/.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sassouni, V. (1969) ‘A classification of skeletal facial types’, American Journal of Orthodontics, pp. 109–123. doi: 10.1016/0002-9416(69)90122-5.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sharma, R. K. et al. (2016) ‘Distribution of Gingival Inflammation in Mouth Breathing Patients: An Observational Pilot Study’, Journal of Dentistry Indonesia, 23(2), pp. 28–32.
- Sivamurthy, G. and Sundari, S. (2016) ‘Stress distribution patterns at mini-implant site during retraction and intrusion—a three-dimensional finite element study’, Progress in orthodontics, 17(1), p. 4.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subtelny, J. D. and Sakuda, M. (1964) ‘Open-bite: diagnosis and treatment’, American journal of orthodontics. Available at: https://www.ajodo.org/article/0002-9416(64)90175-7/pdf.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vikram, N. R. et al. (2017) ‘Ball Headed Mini Implant’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(1), p. ZL02.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Viswanath, A. et al. (2015) ‘Obstructive sleep apnea: Awakening the hidden truth’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 18(1), pp. 1–7.
- Wagaiyu, E. G. and Ashley, F. P. (1991) ‘Mouthbreathing, lip seal and upper lip coverage and their relationship with gingival inflammation in 11–14 year‐old schoolchildren’, Journal of clinical periodontology. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1991.tb00112.x.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.