Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Science, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
2 Reader, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Science, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
3 Reader, Department of Orthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Science, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
Irreversible pulpitis is a persistent inflammatory condition of pulp caused by noxious stimuli. It may be symptomatic or asymptomatic. Multi visit root canal treatment is safer and commonly used method which is given 2 to 3 appointments and this method reduces error and infection. The aim of this study is to find out the association of multi root canal treatment in irreversible pulpitis patients visiting Saveetha Dental College. A retrospective study was carried out in University in Chennai between July 2019-March 2020.The data were collected from patients records analysed from the data of 86000 patients between June 2019-March 2020 . The data were entered in an Excel sheet and subjected to statistical analysis using SPSS software.A chi square test was done between age and gender, age and number of visits,gender and number of visits and teeth number and number of visits. The results were formulated in tables and graphs. The results showed that a total of 5366 patients were diagnosed with irreversible pulpitis of which 3037 patients underwent multi visit root canal treatment. .The study concludes that mandibular first molars were highly affected with irreversible pulpitis and underwent multi root canal treatment .
- Alomaym, M. A. A. et al. (2019) ‘Single versus Multiple Sitting Endodontic Treatment: Incidence of Postoperative Pain - A Randomized Controlled Trial’, Journal of International Society of Preventive & Community Dentistry, 9(2), pp. 172–177.
- Dabuleanu, M. (2013) ‘Pulpitis (reversible/irreversible)’, Journal , 79, p. d90.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- El Mubarak, A. H. H., Abu-bakr, N. H. and Ibrahim, Y. E. (2010) ‘Postoperative pain in multiple-visit and single-visit root canal treatment’, Journal of endodontia, 36(1), pp. 36–39.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Figini, L. et al. (2008) ‘Single versus multiple visits for endodontic treatment of permanent teeth: a Cochrane systematic review’, Journal of endodontia, 34(9), pp. 1041–1047.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Glennon, J. P. et al. (2004) ‘Prevalence of and factors affecting postpreparation pain in patients undergoing two-visit root canal treatment’, International endodontic journal, 37(1), pp. 29–37.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Hussainy, S. N. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 510–515.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality - An in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jose, J., P., A. and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different Treatment Modalities followed by Dental Practitioners for Ellis Class 2 Fracture – A Questionnaire-based Survey’, The Open Dentistry Journal, pp. 59–65. doi: 10.2174/1874210602014010059.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manohar, M. P. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(6), pp. 716–720.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Moreira, M. S. et al. (2017) ‘Endodontic Treatment in Single and Multiple Visits: An Overview of Systematic Reviews’, Journal of endodontia, 43(6), pp. 864–870.
- Nandakumar, M. and Nasim, I. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 516–520.
- Ng, Y.-L. et al. (2007) ‘Outcome of primary root canal treatment: systematic review of the literature – Part 2. Influence of clinical factors’, International Endodontic Journal, p. 071011095702005–??? doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2591.2007.01323.x.
- Noor, S. S. S. E., S Syed Shihaab and Pradeep (2016) ‘Chlorhexidine: Its properties and effects’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1755. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00353.x.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Peters, L. B. and Wesselink, P. R. (2002) ‘Periapical healing of endodontically treated teeth in one and two visits obturated in the presence or absence of detectable microorganisms’, International endodontic journal, 35(8), pp. 660–667.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ramanathan, S. and Solete, P. (2015) ‘Cone-beam Computed Tomography Evaluation of Root Canal Preparation using Various Rotary Instruments: An in vitro Study’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 869–872. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-1773.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- R, R., Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth – A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, pp. 249–256. doi: 10.7126/cumudj.525182.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Schwendicke, F. and Göstemeyer, G. (2017) ‘Single-visit or multiple-visit root canal treatment: systematic review, meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis’, BMJ open, 7(2), p. e013115.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Siddique, R. et al. (2019) ‘Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 22(1), pp. 40–47.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Su, Y., Wang, C. and Ye, L. (2011) ‘Healing rate and post-obturation pain of single- versus multiple-visit endodontic treatment for infected root canals: a systematic review’, Journal of endodontia, 37(2), pp. 125–132.
- Teja, K. V. and Ramesh, S. (2019) ‘Shape optimal and clean more’, Saudi Endodontic Journal, 9(3), p. 235.
- Teja, K. V., Ramesh, S. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(6), pp. 592–596.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Wahl, M. J. (1996) ‘Myths of single-visit endodontics’, General dentistry, 44(2), pp. 126–31; quiz 141–2.